The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 27, 2017, 11:13 AM   #1
the possum

Thinner forend for M&P-10?

Early this year I got a Smith & Wesson M&P-10. I replaced the cheap wobbly butt stock with a Magpul unit that's a lot more comfortable and solid. I've never cared for the round handguards on most AR's though either. This one is not too offensive; it's much slimmer than the one on my Windham AR, but I still wish for something more slender.

I don't want to take off the barrel or gas block, or that sort of thing. I don't have any AR tools and have never done it.

What is the slimmest forend you can get that will work with the existing delta ring? I believe it has a mid-length gas system.

edit-
Is it possible to have a free float handguard without changing other parts on the rifle?

Last edited by the possum; May 27, 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 27, 2017, 07:50 PM   #2
gshayd

Midwest makes a two piece drop in for a mid length gas tube

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/326.htm
Old May 29, 2017, 05:29 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

Magpul MOE SL. Very nice forearm and easy to install without tools. Just set the butt stock on a good solid surface and pull down on the delta ring, it's a bit tough to pull on but can be done. Easier with a little help, one person pulling on the ring while another takes care of r&r on the forearm.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:11 AM   #4
the possum

I took a look at the Magpul one yesterday in Gander Mountain. It didn't seem any slimmer than the factory forend that came on the gun.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:24 PM   #5
dvdcrr

I had to modify my MOE SL to fit the MP10. It worked but was pretty tight. Slightly slimmer than the factory handguard.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old May 30, 2017, 06:50 PM   #6
jetinteriorguy

There are two styles of Magpul forearms, one is slimmer and longer than the other. The slim style will go all the way forward to cover up the lower part of an F marked front sight.