The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2012, 06:51 AM   #26
hooligan1

Whoa, dudes,,,, You fellas are in my wheelhouse now.... This family BBQ's every weekend... Rain, Shine, Sleet, Snow,, and yes one tornado.....
We grill and smoke several types of meats and fish throughout the year man.... We love it.... get the point...???

Any fruitwood is usually good, but here's my opine starting with good ole,,,
#1. Applewood either chunks or chips.
#2. Oak,, I like whiteoak especially...
#3. Pecan
#4. Hickory Especially in the smoker.
#5. Grapevine
#6. Cherrywood
#7. Sassafras
#8. Mesquite
My neighbor uses, and he's quite fond of walnut, but I've never tried it.

I'm the happiest Pappy when my wife comes home from the Grocery store and says "Honey they had pork shoulder on sale,,, and your beer was on sale too!!
Old March 23, 2012, 02:33 PM   #27
huntinaz

Ok Hooligan, pork shoulder was on sale so I bought one. Don't suppose you'd share your recipe on how you like to do them? I have oak, pecan and mesquite available and the smoker is ready to go!
Old March 23, 2012, 04:24 PM   #28
BigMikey76

My favorite way to do a pork shoulder is a dry rub:

8 tbs Brown Sugar
2 tbs salt
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 tbs curry powder
1/2 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs garlic powder

Rub it on nice and thick all over the meat, and put it in the fridge UNCOVERED for at least a couple of hours before smoking... longer is better. From there, follow the instructions on your smoker and let it smoke till it is fall apart tender.
Makes enough for 2 or 3 shoulders... Just make sure you seal up whatever you don't use or the brown sugar will turn into a brick.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:35 PM   #29
huntinaz

That sounds good BigMike, maybe I'll try that. Do you brine it at all?

I just cut open an elk roast that's been smoking all day, sliced thin in a sandwich with mayo/horseradish, onions and cheese. Outstanding. This smoker makes a round roast into a choice cut. Now for a cold beer
Old March 23, 2012, 10:25 PM   #30
Beagle333

Pork shoulder was on sale here. $.99 a lb. I got a 7 pounder this morning, fired up the Big Green Egg with about a coffee can full of lump charcoal and let it smoke for about 4 hours at 350-400, then slathered it good with just some Kraft bbq sauce and put a double handful of green, fresh-cut hickory sapling limbs on the coals, then closed it up and let that smoke for 2 more hours on around 250-325. 'Too much heat and the Kraft burns too bad. We like it just crispy on the outside and all that smokey goodness in the meat. We got that good red ring on each slice, from that hickory soaking in.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #31
BigMikey76

Quote:
Do you brine it at all?
For a pork shoulder, not usually. I usually reserve brining for meats that tend toward dryness - pork tenderloin, turkey breast... Pork shoulder has plenty of juice, so it doesn't need it.