The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2019, 11:03 AM   #1
jar

Found an ammo my Pico does not like.

Well, I finally found some ammo my Pico does not like. It's some old Federal and I have had almost 100% failure to feed. Granted it is some older Federal Personal Defense Hydra-shok 90grain JHP and so newer examples my be different. It's always worked well in my Sig P230 and in my Remington RM380 but does not feed in the Pico. Tap Rack does load it and it does eject but not something I'll trust in the Pico as SD ammo.

I have not tried this batch in my Ruger LCP or Smith BG380 yet. The Smith is back at the Mothership to see if they can figure out why it drops the slide when I drop and empty magazine. If they solve that problem I'll try the ammo in the Smith.

I'll get the LCP out and see if it feeds well in it.

AbE: (a little later)

In my LCP feed was at best marginal. There was one failure to feed and one failure to eject out of 7 rounds plus one not full lock up that required a slide tap.

It may be related to this particular batch although as I said, it works fine in the Remington RM380 and my Sig P230. I have a couple more boxes bought at the same time so I'll see how they do.
Old February 2, 2019, 01:10 PM   #2
JERRYS.

wish I could give some advise but my only two 380s are the Glock 42 and Sig Sauer P232 and they eat everything, in fact they are both loaded with the Federal personal defense 90gr. hydrashoks.
Old February 2, 2019, 01:20 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...old Federal..." That might be the reason. Not all pistols will like all brands of ammo, but how ammo has been stored matters.
Old February 2, 2019, 02:33 PM   #4
kymasabe

Interesting.
My Remington RM380 ate everything.
My daughters Taurus TCP was a pile of junk from the minute she took it out of the box, 16 weeks at Taurus and she traded it the minute she got it back so...no idea what it liked.
Her S&W Bodyguard was VERY ammo picky. I think Magtech and only one other brand would cycle properly. I forget which one.
But, I've never heard of anyone having problems with a Pico ?
I'd expect better results from Federal but...it happens.
Burn it up in the Rem and stick with what it likes.
Old February 2, 2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Interesting.
My daughters Taurus TCP was a pile of junk from the minute she took it out of the box, 16 weeks at Taurus and she traded it the minute she got it back so...no idea what it liked.
Her S&W Bodyguard was VERY ammo picky. I think Magtech and only one other brand would cycle properly. I forget which one.
No problem with my Pico. I would suggest the op just get another ammo. These guns run great.
Old February 3, 2019, 08:08 AM   #6
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Interesting.
Since we are mentioning personal experience with .380s..and the Glock 42 gets no love..I have used everything to the cheapest Russian ammo I can find to expensive, $1.25 per...steel, brass, aluminum..JHP, FMJ, fluted and in about 3000 rounds, I have NEVER had any failure, ever...Yes, Glock 42 is bigger than others but that's where it's beauty lies..GREAT gun to shoot(and did I mention reliable??), still VERY easy to CCW(which I do everyday)...

I understand that 'some' pistols' don't 'like' some ammo but that's something that would guide me to another brand/model, instead of different ammo, IMHO, of course.
When I see-
Quote:
380 AUTO 100 GRAIN PLATED HBRN (SEE DISCLOSURE**)
**WILL NOT FIRE PROPERLY IN: S&W DUTY GUARD, KAHR P380, AND S&W BODY GUARD OR RUGER LCP (DUE TO LIGHTER PRIMER STRIKES)
That means change firearm, not ammo...
IMHO, of course.

"Tools not Trophies”