The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 15, 2011, 05:27 PM   #76
publius

I hate'em. They eat turkey eggs and anything else they can find. Yes, they are tough suckers too.I set live traps with corn and also ride around the property at night on the UTV with a spotlight, .22mag, and a 12 ga. with duck shells(lead)
Old August 16, 2011, 12:32 AM   #77
Crazy Carl

They're funny little buggers, but destructive as all get out. Had a friend, as a kid, who had a pet coon. It was cute & funny, but no way I want one of them in my house.

Haven't eaten any coon since I was a kid & don't have a recipe, but I sure remember coon being awful tasty & a special treat.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:01 PM   #78
warbirdlover

Need to kill them as they are a prime carrier of rabies.

A friend's mother would cook them for us and they were tasty. See par-boiled them and then baked them. Tasted like beef sorta. Was really good. But I've seen so many rabid ones during the daytime I wouldn't eat them anymore.

And if you've ever had a cabin or even a house in the wilderness you've probably experienced coons "breaking in" and tearing apart the kitchen. My wife grew up in a house on a lake in central Wisconsin and they had coons breaking in (they are highly skilled at it) frequently and had food and flour etc all over the kitchen.

I suggested using claymore mines for hogs in Texas and they also might be good for coons!!
Old August 18, 2011, 06:20 AM   #79
rickyrick

Claymores are easily disabled by raccoons, they get training on them.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:29 PM   #80
Glockgrabber

Dang right coons are tough, i put three rounds from a 38 in one and he still hung one for a minute(till i put the other three in him)
Old November 24, 2011, 02:55 AM   #81
C0untZer0

A raccoon got into my mom and dad's attic. He was a bad tenant - he'd stay out all hours of the night, and make a loud entrance in the wee hours of the morning. I wanted to just shoot him, but it's against the law.

So I bought a $75 double door trap and a 44¢ can of Friskies salmon falvored cat food at Farm & Fleet. Caught him tonight around midnight.

I will say those thing are super smart. After he saw me pick the cage up by the handles, he tried to reach around the top to grab the handles too.

I could have spent a lot less on one or two bullets.

Plus instead of just digging a hole and burying it, I have to haul him to a forest preserve to let him go.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:48 AM   #82
wcar

I had problems with raccoons getting in the wife's bird feeders and tearing everything up. I baited a medium size Hav-A-Hart trap under the feeders with a pork chop bone and over a period of two years or so, caught about ten of the little buggers. A .22 in the head finished them off. (I suppose 'Hav-A-Hart is a misnomer in my case) The same trap also caught a number of 'possums' and feral cats along the way. The trap eliminates the possibility of wounding the animal just to have it crawl off and suffer. Personally I have no tender feelings toward these animals. They are pests in the same category as rats and mice as far as I'm concerned. I very seldom catch one these days. Apparently I've thinned the herd.
Old November 24, 2011, 11:03 AM   #83
rickyrick

Raccoons love marshmallows so put some corn and a few marshmallows in the trap and it will keep you from catching the neighbours cat or hungry Chihuahua.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:24 PM   #84
C0untZer0

I got the Hav-A-Hart trap also. Not because of any good will on my part but because when I looked at the other traps, the cheaper ones had a single door and a single latch.

I have no doubt a raccoon could unlatch a single latch with his grubby little fingers and escape. The cheaper traps had a picture of a racoon on the box but a single latch without a second door to keep them from getting at the latch is not going to keep a racoon in.

Even the one I caught last night tries to reach for the latches, the inner door keeps the latches out of reach. I put a metal twist tie around the outer door for good measure.

This fricken coon has a lot to be thankfull for today. Thankfull that I don't shoot him.

But if I got caught shooting him, I'd lose my gun, my FOID card, any chance of ever being able to CC in Illinois if we ever do get a law, not to mention the fines and the felony conviction.

Rocky Racoon can thank the gun control advocates of yester-year for his life.

I looked into possibly getting a fur license - but it's too expensive. I thought maybe for $10 I could get a trapper license and turn Rocky into a coonskin hat - but it's more complicated than that.

I'd like to eat him, but I don't know how to dress the carcass.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:34 PM   #85
C0untZer0

It's funny that you mentioned a Chihuahua. I saw one last night after I took the coon out of the attic, running around on the street, but he wouldn't come to me. It is cold in Illinois, I'm not sure a Chihuahua can survive the night. He wouldn't come to me and I was thinking "dumb dog - even if he doesn't freeze, coyotes will eat him tonight."
Old November 24, 2011, 12:37 PM   #86
rickyrick

Most of the raccoons that I have trapped figgure out what's keeping the trap closed and are working on trying to get the mechanism to open. I have a.mix of traps most of them i built myself....I have some store bought traps but they usually require some repair or adjustment after each raccoon catch. That's why I build my own. Havaheart are good but expensive.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:56 PM   #87
shortwave

Anything sweet!

They can't resist donuts. Must be related to some of the LEO's I know.

I usually bait my traps with stale donuts a friend of mine brings me from his bakery. He brings me a bag every so often and I throw them in the freezer. Get em out as needed.

Secret is, is not to put a big donut in trap. Just a few golf ball size, clear at the back of trap.
Old November 24, 2011, 01:28 PM   #88
rickyrick

I agree a large bait they can reach over the trip pan easier. If the trap has enough space you van secure an old rabbit feeder in the back that makes sure the raccoon crosses the trip. Some of the smart ones will flip the trap over trying to dislodge the bait. I usually put something to hold the trap down bit make sure it doesn't interfere with mechanisms.

BTW, a pygmy goat can be fully contained in a raccoon trap. Just in case you have some of those around. LOL
Old November 24, 2011, 02:07 PM   #89
wcar

C0untZer0 "..But if I got caught shooting him, I'd lose my gun, my FOID card, any chance of ever being able to CC in Illinois if we ever do get a law, not to mention the fines and the felony conviction…"
That's tough stuff! My sympathies. Coons are indeed smart. My cage is one that has a wire cable running from the trip pad to the door trip. I have to straighten all the kinks out of the cable every time I catch one. They seemed to know that that cable had something to do with
them being trapped.
Old November 24, 2011, 03:15 PM   #90
Shotgun693

We used to eat'm but I don't see'm as often here in South Texas. Might be because I don't live near any water.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:36 PM   #91
C0untZer0

wcar - it's funny that you mention that cable.

The Hav-A-Hart trap has a bar from the pad to the door trip, and the racoon was grabbing it over and over.

My kids talked me into letting him have a can of sardines before letting him go.

My mom told me a story about the barber who cut my hair when I was a kid. A racoon was eating his tomatoes - so he waited up one night and shot the invader. The neighbors reported him and the police came. They asked if he had discharged a weapon. he said yes - he'd discharged a weapon - he killed the racoon that was eating his tomatoes. He had a southern accent I remember but I don't know where he was from before he came to Illinois. He was ignorant of Illinois gun laws and was truely shocked that it was illegal for him to shoot one of the tomato theiving bastards.
Old November 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #92
wcar

C0untZer0 "...He had a southern accent I remember but I don't know where he was from before he came to Illinois. He was ignorant of Illinois gun laws and was truely shocked that it was illegal for him to shoot one of the tomato theiving bastards…" That wasn't me, but it could have been. Interesting how different states have different laws. Here raccoons aren't on the nuisance list but they have a liking for wild turkey eggs so they aren't on the 'most-favored' list, by any means.
Old November 25, 2011, 11:26 AM   #93
Willie Lowman

We had a pet raccoon when I was a kid. She was only friendly with me and my parents. She would keep away from other people and the dogs would watch her but give her distance. They are remarkably intelligent animals. I wish I had a picture of my dad walking that 'coon on a leash.

Quote:
but if the claim of non-discriminate killing is true, it is one apparently missed by the biologists and mammalogists as it is a trait not mentioned in the raccoon literature.
This is something I have seen for myself. I found a large raccoon in the chicken barn one night around midnight. It had killed four of our game cocks, each kept in their own pens. The raccoon had dug under the side of each pen to get to the cock and kill it. If it was killing for food, there would be no reason for it to have go to the effort to dig it's way into four separate pens and kill more birds when the first would provide plenty of food.

Now that I think about it, it may have been a mother killing the cocks to feed her little ones. Oh well, that was years ago and my .44 mag put an end to that nonsense.

Side note: If you use a .44 magnum to dispatch a wild animal that is inside your barn, double hearing protection is a good idea. I don't think the muffs I used that night were enough.
Old November 25, 2011, 11:49 AM   #94
rickyrick

Native animals that stay out of certain areas are allowed to keep on living as far as I am concerned, I won't go to any isolated places within my area to hunt varmints. So if raccoons stay in raccoon land I am cool with it.

While a lot of raccoons are aggressive, I have met some that seem docile with emphasis on seem.
Old November 25, 2011, 12:14 PM   #95
jason_iowa

I shot a 20+lb opossum 5 shots .38 and it crawled off. Its all I had on me or I would have done more. I have no issue with people killing them just do it humanely.

Iowa coons can get big. Large dog big 50+ lb ones I have personally seen. They can do a tremendous amount of damage to people or animals.
Old November 25, 2011, 12:32 PM   #96
rickyrick

It seems after some earlier discussions, that a pistol will just pass through a small animal without much damage and won't kill as efficiently as a larger animal. I had the same problem with a 9mm. Never had too many problems with rifles.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:46 PM   #97
Colorado Redneck

Coons in Boulder, Colorado

As some of you may know, Boulder, Colorado is the center of the liberal universe. Folks that live there think killing prairie dogs is one of the seven deadly sins.

A few weeks back, there were some college kids living in a rented house in Boulder, that were getting ticked off because coons kept getting into their trash and scattering it out in the ally. Well, one night they ambushed a coon and they were armed to the teeth One of them had a hocky stick and the other two kids had ball bats. They waylaid a coon in their trash and proceeded to try and beat the damned thing to death. Some of the neighbors heard the ruckus and called the cops. The kids have been charged with cruelty to animals, a felony, and the public outcry has been deafening. And in a sick sort of way, amusing.

When I read about that, it was easy to recall having done things that make that sound pretty tame. City folks are getting so far removed from real life, it is worrying.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:25 AM   #98
shortwave

Quote:
We had a pet raccoon when I was a kid...
Had a pet squirrel, many pet snakes and a groundhog but never a coon.

Buddy of mine had the pet coon. Got coon when it was a kid. It was the same as yours Willie. Wouldn't befriend anyone but my buddy. He would get that coon out of the cage and play with it like a dog. Taught it to do tricks for treats.
He taught it to stand on its back legs, put its front paws together and put its head down for a treat. Coon looked like it was praying.

Well, one day Rocky(my buddy) showed up for school looking as though a bengal tiger had got ahold of him. As usual, he went out to the cage, opened the top and for a reason they never figured out, the coon turned on Rocky latching onto his arms and biting him all over. Rocky was wearing a T-shirt so some of the gashs on his arms,stomach and chest were rather severe and required stitchs.

Coon had gotten abit older. Maybe got grouchy, don't know. Sure know he flew into Rocky like a buzz-saw.
Old November 30, 2011, 04:27 PM   #99
Daekar

You're not allowed to kill raccoons? What the heck? Are the rules made by complete morons? I mean, more complete than usual? What are they going to do when the wild pigs make it up there? Tell you to trap them and drop them off somewhere? Good grief.

Some days I just can't wait for civilization to collapse so I can watch the liberals die out when they meet the real world... the cities have just become cesspools, it's mindboggling.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:33 PM   #100
rickyrick

I think the little bitty pigs with bad attitudes are cute and the are almost as funny as an angry raccoon.