The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Are you interested?
Yes 0 0%
No 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12, 2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Slugs

Making your own auto drive

Looking at the price of the PW auto drive I decided to make my own. Not for resale because that might be illegal, but anyone can copy someones idea for their own use. In that regard I tried to find out what parts I needed, what motor, what rpm, what torque limiter but no one posted it.

I have it all figured out. I copied the PW model and built one and it works great. I didn't do this to make it automatic but to save my arm. However, if you want to go automatic that is not a problem as long as you also add a bullet feeder and you can also make one of those much cheaper than the commercial ones, using a 3D printer. The plans are already designed for you. All you have to do is have someone print them for you. My library will print anything I give them for just 1 dollar. Yes, that is unbelievable. If anyone wants to make their own auto feeder I will be more than happy to give you the dimensions, rpm needed and list of materials. It will require some welding and the use of a milling machine. I don't know if I can post my e mail address, so if someone will let me know if that is ok then I will be happy to do so and send you all of the plans and list of materials. I built mine for about $380 dollars. The motor I use is a 90 volt DC geared motor which was $280 and a torque limiter which was about $60.00.
Old October 12, 2017, 12:57 PM   #2
jmorris

The design of the PW has it's issues but can be setup to work well. I have made various auto drives with surplus motors (generally the single most expensive part). It you are at $280 for an off the shelf new motor and speed controller, that has enough torque, that's a big leap towards an inexpensive auto drive.

All you need at that point is the ability to machine the other parts and/or weld them together

If your attachments are small enough you can up load them here or just link them from another host.
Old October 12, 2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Slugs

I can upload them if someone will tell me how to do it. I don't see a place to do it. By the way the motor I used is a 90volt DC motor that has 600 inch pounds of torque. I have not had any issues with mine, you just have to have it all set up correctly. That is not hard either if you loosen the torque converter and rotate the machine through its cycle so that you know there is no binding. I did not put a speed control. I like it like it was designed.
(geared-that is the way I ordered it) Brand new motor also.
Old October 12, 2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Martys

Envy guys who have the expertise to accomplish things like this. Me, only good with hammer and screwdriver!
Old October 12, 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
Slugs

It is not that hard

If you can use a hammer you can make or fix anything. The only part you have to machine is the part that goes where the handle is. This was made for a Dillon 1050. You can have it made by a friend or a machine shop. I did all of it in two days and that was because I was not sure of the dimensions of the parts.