The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 6, 2017, 08:28 PM   #1
ATCDoktor

2 inch Colt Lawman MKIII

This piece fell into my lap this afternoon while I was loafing in my LGS:

A coworker and I were standing at the counter shooting the breeze
a young counter man brought it down and told us "this just came in".

My coworker looked at it and handed it the me, I looked it over real hard and handed it back to him and asked "whaddaya think"

He made a few positive comments while giving it another look and he handed it back to me and I asked him "do you want it"? He looked over at me kinda funny and I said, " you looked at it first, if you want it I'll withdraw, but if you don't, I'm buying it".

He asked to see it again, and fondled it a little more and he said "nah, you'll appreciate it more than me, at least you'll shoot it".

It came home with me for $550.00 OTD (no box, no papers).

It's extremely clean, fired but not a lot, the stocks are in perfect condition, there's a "bad spot" in the bluing to the bottom left of the Colt emblem but other than that, there's not a scratch on it.

Colts nowadays are a little pricey but I feel that I got this one for a fair price.

It's certainly large for a "snub nosed" handgun but I've been looking for one (at a fair price) for several years and I figured if I let it sit and the LGS for too long (at that price) it would be gone fairly quick.
Old October 6, 2017, 09:20 PM   #2
dscampbell

I have one but sold it back to the original owner. Firing at night was a hoot. If you miss you still BBQ them with the flame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 7, 2017, 06:46 AM   #3
mk70ss

You stole it at that price. That is a beauty. That would be my new CCW if I had found it!
Old October 7, 2017, 06:47 AM   #4
old bear

Quote:
Colts nowadays are a little pricey but I feel that I got this one for a fair price.
I'm not up on Colt pricing, but from what little I do know I believe you did quite well with the pricing with that guy.
Old October 7, 2017, 10:29 PM   #5
105kw

I owned one with a lot more holster wear twenty years ago.
You got a great deal on a really good gun.

Lighter than an L frame, little heavier than a K frame model 13 , 3 inch.
I let mine go because I was more used to my S&W's. It's still a great .357.
Old October 8, 2017, 03:37 AM   #6
Sgt127

I had a nickel version for a few years. It was a really good gun. I've replaced it with a couple 3" 65's and a Ruger Speed Six. (Im really into stainless for a concealed gun) but, that's a very quality snub .357 that will serve you well. Either as a "look what I have!" Gun or a carry gun. I'd buy another for that price.

Maybe not. I have too many guns now. Sort of. Maybe not.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Deaf Smith

Had the very kind of Colt Lawman maybe 40 years ago... super sized Detective Special. Bit heavy but very strong gun.

Good find.

Deaf
Old October 8, 2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm envious. At that price, I wouldn't have hesitated. It would make a great partner for my Detective Special.
Old October 8, 2017, 12:29 PM   #9
RJay

Oh good grief, Now I get to add you to people I hate.
Old October 8, 2017, 02:27 PM   #10
muzzleblast...

I ran across one some years ago at a gun show. I didn't have enough coin in my pocket to get it. Thankfully, my brother was with me and pitched in. I wasn't really happy with the fell of the grip until I found a Tyler T-grip for the MkIII and it now feels great. It will never be carried, but, does make it to the range on occasion and is a source of pride. I hope you enjoy yours. You got it for a great price BTW.
Old October 8, 2017, 05:25 PM   #11
burrhead

I bought one about 40 years ago, sold it a few years later, bought it back about 5 years ago and then sold it again. Don't know why.

A couple of important things to be aware of. The grips are unique to the 2" model. No other Colt grips will fit. More importantly, NEVER dry fire it. The firing pin is made of sintered metal (sort of an early MIM) and it WILL break from excessive dry firing and there are only two places that have the tooling to repair it. Colt and Cylinder and Slide and that's if you can find a replacement pin. Snap caps for sure.

BTW, they're extremely strong and will take any SAMMI stout load.

One more thing; the only holster maker I found that had a blue gun for it was Lobo Leather.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; October 8, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:20 PM   #12
ATCDoktor

Quote:
A couple of important things to be aware of. The grips are unique to the 2" model. No other Colt grips will fit. More importantly, NEVER dry fire it. The firing pin is made of sintered metal (sort of an early MIM) and it WILL break from excessive dry firing and there are only two places that have the tooling to repair it. Colt and Cylinder and Slide and that's if you can find a replacement pin. Snap caps for sure.

This is good info, thanks.

Dr.
Old October 10, 2017, 07:37 AM   #13
scbair

I fitted a set of oversized Trooper Mk III grips to my Lawman Mk III snub. Just a matter of rounding the grips off to fit the round butt contour. They fit and work just fine.

Good luck finding grips specifically manufactured for the round butt snub...
Old October 12, 2017, 06:22 PM   #14
Jeff #111

That was a very good price that you paid. As Burrhead wrote beware of dry-firing without snapcaps. Those grips are all that fit it unless you have a set custom made for it. I owned one for many years. I traded it for a S&W Model 19 snubbie, but you've got a great revolver there. A modern day descendent of the 19th century "Bulldog" revolver.
Old February 18, 2023, 03:59 PM   #15
Catalina

Dagnabit. Jut picked on up at the local guns show in satin. So you are telling me I am stuck with clothes grabbing sticky chunky Pachmayer rubber grips?

Last edited by Catalina; February 18, 2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 18, 2023, 08:28 PM   #16
Dfariswheel

The Lawman Mark III 2 inch barrel model had a grip frame unique to it, and it alone. No other grip will fit.

Few grip makers ever made a grip to fit it, so your'e best option is a custom grip maker.

Herrett's might be able to make a set, you'll have to contact them........

http://herrettstocks.com/
Old February 20, 2023, 04:45 PM   #17
Webleymkv

Here's a couple options for a round butt Lawman Mk III if you don't mind fake stag.

https://gungrip.com/colt-mkiii-troop...man-grips.aspx

And Jack First has originals, but they're rather expensive

https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=8754