The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2017, 05:25 PM   #1
308Loader

S&W 910 holster wear

So the local gander was closing and had their used guns heavily discounted. I picked up a Smith and Wesson 910 for $150. Great deal in my mind for a working pistol. It has a lot of holster wear on it, and the slide could use refinishing as well. Guy at the store said it was a police trade-in. I know it is a budget pistol but after shooting it a bit I think I really like it. What could a novice do to refinish it? I already made the mistake of buying one of those "super black" paint pens from the LGS and used it on the frame, kind of looks crapy up close. Could the frame be striped of its paint all together without complete disassembly and just leave it shiny aluminum or what ever it is? what about bluing the slide, can that be done by a novice? Or would the best thing to do is leave it ugly and just enjoy it for what it is. The trigger is awesome and has a very short reset, the plastic sights still work well, grips are worn but serviceable, just a nice gun to shoot feels good in the hand.
Old August 16, 2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Personally I wouldn't mess with it. Too many opportunities to mess something up. Keep it the way it is and enjoy it.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Mobuck

At $150, I wouldn't mess with it either. You could have it "coated" but then it would be a $250-300 pistol and you wouldn't have any more than you did @ $150. Just keep the slide from rusting and shoot it.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
308Loader

will 5900 series parts fit 910? looking at sights and grips.
Old August 16, 2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

Some 3rd Gen Smith parts (59XX & 915) will fit the 910 . . . like grips, recoil spring, guide rod, & springs. The barrel, slide, & frame are not the same as 59XX or 915. Not totally sure about the slide release, firing pin, or safety. I think they are interchangeable but don't hold me to it. I don't think sights are the same as the 915 or 59XX. I don't have a 910 only 59XX & 915's.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:12 PM   #6
jjmotsch

You could have it cerakoted. Cerakote is a spray on and baked on finish. It is pretty durable.
Old September 4, 2017, 07:59 AM   #7
muzzleblast...

Gotta love getting a great deal on a fully functional, yet ugly gun. I've been there. Unless the finish wear is such that it "hurts my eyes", I'll leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is, with no worries about making it somewhat uglier. YMMV.