The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 7, 2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Sig0431

New member, first question

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Sig and I have been a long time viewer of this site and decided that it was time for me to register and get involved a little. So here is some information about me.

1. I am an Active Duty Marine. Been in for 13 years now.
2. I am an avid shoot but by no means an expert nor do I think I ever will be, you can always learn more.
3. I am here to learn, not to cause any hate or discontent, but please put me in my pace if do anything wrong as I am new to point on online forums.

Okay so onto my question. I am being moved to 29 Palms CA in December. I have a 1911 that I personally built and love but I am not going to take it to CA. I would like to start focusing on steel / speed shooting and am going to buy a 9mm and 22lr. I have narrowed down my 9mm list to either Glock 34, Glock 17L or Sig p320 full size. I know the Sig is a little off form the normal but there is a lot that I like about that weapon.

I am concerned the 17L may be a little too long for speed shooting and I know that the Glock 34 is considered a typical pistol for speed shooting. Does anyone have any input for me on these three pistols? I am going to a range to shoot all three this weekend and I know that how the pistol feels to me is a large aspect but since I have never actually be in a competition before I would just like to obtain some insight from some of you all here that have a vast amount of knowledge.

Thank you all for your help and time. Semper FI

-Sig
Old October 8, 2015, 11:06 AM   #2
g.willikers

Your proposed choices are all suitable for the type of shooting you mentioned.
It's more about the time you are willing to invest in practice than the gun, itself.
To add to the confusion, the various types of steel and speed shooting games can be very different from one another.
As the saying goes, "The gun is the least of it."
Just pick the one that feels right and go with that one.
In the long run, it won't matter which you choose.
And welcome to the forum.
Old October 8, 2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Get the G34 or maybe the P320.
There are a couple of shops customizing the P320 already, Bruce Gray at grayguns.com and Robert Burke, dba thesigarmorer.com
And of course, there are Glock parts and tuners all over. Some of them even know what they are doing.

Don't overlook the S&W Plastic M&P Pro with tuneup by Dan Burwell or Apex Tactical. (The results I have seen with Apex parts DIY are highly variable, if you want your gun set up right, send it in.)

The 17L is too long to fit The Box if you got interested in USPSA or IDPA. So why limit your choices?
Old December 24, 2015, 11:28 AM   #4
9x45

SIG, welcome to SoCal. You'll get used to the wind at 29 by the time you ship out.... Ok, we run several steel matches at Palm Springs gun club, check the calendar at http://www.palmspringsgunclub.org/calendar.html
The difference between a G34 and a G17L is sight radius and cycle time, the G17L cycling a bit slower. I have all 3 guns, but tend to run my old 2 pin G17 for all competition, USPSA/Steel Challenge/3 gun and IDPA. If your run a .22LR you start from the low ready. There is no reason not to bring your 1911 here either. You'll need a good holster and gun belt, like a BladeTech, Comptac, Sarfariland, Wilderness Instructor belt or Double Alpha, single mag pouches, at least 4 and 5 magazines, 6 for your 1911. If you have any money left over, get electric ears, $50 at Amazon for the Peltor Tac 6. Shoot fast and have fun, but don't point your gun at me.