The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Ferretboy

Okay so I am buying the S&W Model 36

Anyone paying attention to me and my struggle has already read the other thread here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520796

I put the Revolver on lay away.

Under the crane it only says Model 36 (No dash located there.)

the Serial Number on the butt is 44JXXX not sure of the manufacture dat, but I cant wait to get it. Does have a little holster wear, but I am just gonna add to that, finish looks great otherwise.

So what are my Carry Options and I think I want new grip furniture.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
shouldazagged

I have Pachmayr Compacs on my no-dash 640. Not awfully pretty, though much better-looking than Hogues in my opinion, but I love them. They cover the backstrap, fill the space behind the trigger guard, and give a high, comfortable grip that really helps control muzzle flip. Mine have been carried daily for going on thirteen years and still look and feel good. Have never had a problem with them dragging on clothing, and I pocket-carry the gun in a pocket holster.

Can't comment much on carry options, as I've never owned a 3" J-frame, unfortunately...
Old April 5, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will get a lot of disagreement, but I carried a Model 36 for years and shot it thousands of rounds, mostly double action. I like the old fashioned wood grips, and hold it with the frame right on my middle finger. IMHO, the grips that fill the gap also reduce the gripping area and are no help in DA firing. In fact, when I got a 642, I took off the awful Hogue grips and put on a pair of wood grips so I could hold the gun the way I am used to.

Jim
Old April 5, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4
kcub

Maybe someone makes an ankle rig for a 3" j.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
So what are my Carry Options and I think I want new grip furniture.
Carry options are unlimited for the 36. Easily small enough for IWB, shoulder holster, ankle carry, you name it.

I used to have a 36. If I ever bought another I'd try this carry rig/grips:

No holster. The grips simply clip onto the belt.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
jrothWA

First J-frame was a 36......

now have two more a 60 & 37.

All have the grips changed to the pachmyar Gripper, they are longer fore&aft and thinner in the width. Fit my mitts nicely.
Have a Hogue grip but not really liked it.

Would lke to get one to swap the 2" for a 3" barrel.

All three are noice to shoot a bowling pin match.

Recommend that you get three speed-loaders for carrying.

Used 125gr and 140gr weight for carrying.

Hope this helps.

Suggest going to: www.hipowersandhandguns.com
, for good additional snub-nosed article.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Glenn Dee

I also own several model 36 revolvers. Affectionately known as the "Chief Special" or simply as a "chief". At one time was probably the most prolific self defense revolver around. They came in two grip patterns, round and squair. Three different barrels.. the 1 7/8" called the 2", the three inch light barrel, and the three inch heavy or bull barrel.

Some people say the three inch version is rare. Thats not my experience. While there are probably fewer three inch than two inch, the three inch versions are hardly rare IMO. My wife carries a three inch bull barrel version. I carry a two inch round butt version. An interesting side note is that for about 10 years the NYPD authorized the three inch bull barrel squair butt version as the uniformed service revolver for female police officers.

I purchased my origonal in 1974 for $115. A 2" round butt chief. I carried it off duty, in plain clothes, and as a second gun for 25 years. During that time I've qualified with it three times a year using +p ammo. While it does show a bit of wear, it still had it's origonal blue and shoots as well as the day I bought it. As with any firearm if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Sadly there is less and less aftermarket stuff available for the gun. A 36 being a blued gun does requite a little TLC every now n then. Wipe it down after every carry. I use a silicon rag. Every so often take the stocks off and wipe down the frame under them. More often with rubber stocks. The optimum advantage of the 36 is it's miimum size. IMO putting oversized grips on it defeats this advantage. If your going to increase the size you might as well get something with more than 5 rounds like a "K" frame or a colt "D" framed revolver. The slight grip on the 36 is not a new problem. I and may others found the soloution is to add a "T" grip adaptor. This is a finger grooved device that fits the front of the grip and fill in the space between the front of the frame grip, and the rear of the trigger guard. If we felt we needed something more of a sticky surface we'd wrap a hald dozen rubber bands around the grip. Remember for most of us the gun is a tool... not a fashion statement.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
shouldazagged

"IMO putting oversized grips on it defeats this advantage. If your going to increase the size you might as well get something with more than 5 rounds like a "K" frame or a colt "D" framed revolver. The slight grip on the 36 is not a new problem."

I liked the wood grips too until the arthritis in my hands became too severe. At 75 I need every bit of help I can get. The Compacs aren't that much larger, and in a good pocket holster the gun is still easily concealed.

But yankee mike mike victor.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Ferretboy

Well concealed carry is definetly what I plan to use it for, so no fashion statements. Once I have it paid for I will take it to the range and run a few hundred rounds through it before changing grips to see how it handles. I have a pro carry holster ordered for it, also considering a shoulder rig.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Nathan

Sounds like you made an excellent choice. Does it have a full or bobbed hammer? Might be worth bobbing it for CCW.

Also, finish would be low on my priority list. Maybe some day you can have it cerakoted... For now, just shoot it.

For a gun like that, skip the $20 holsters and get a nice custom IWB from Milt Sparks or other. Most J frame holsters are for 2", so it will be hard to f'ing on the shelf.

Oh yea and shoot it some more!
Old April 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
laytonj1

Quote:
Serial Number on the butt is 44JXXX
1971/72.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
cw308

You can't go wrong with a S&W 36, Just make sure the timing is on an stay away from the +P rounds. I have been carrying my Chief at work & off. Lately my back has been acting up from years twisting & pulling, so I'm changing from a Belt holster to a Shoulder. good luck with your weapon. Be Safe Chris
Old April 7, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Lavan

With the little wood grips, it fits great in a pocket holster with no printing and no stickout.

PERFECT CCW gun.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #14
hAkron

I have a 642 that I bought in December that I pocket carry pretty much every single day. It came with a nice set of rubber grips, but for pocket or waistband carry, I find rubber grips to be less than ideal. In the pocket they tend to grab the pocket material when you try to draw, and for waistband carry, they usually cause your cover garment to 'climb' over them. I ordered a pair of S&W magna service grips for about $30 from S&W. those were much better for pocket carry, but didn't offer as good of control over the air weight 642, as I bought a 't-grip' style grip adapter on ebay (if you are crafty you can get them for a reasonable price.) and now I feel like I have the perfect setup. I pocket carry in a pocket holster by the way. Never just bare in my pocket.