The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 4, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Sgt.Saputo

Mech Tech

I'm not sure if this belongs in semi auto handguns, rifles, or here. Hope it's here . So the next gun on my list is a 1911, I did a little looking at Mech Tech and they appeal to me, I was just wondering if any of you guys own one? If so are they worth the money? Also what are the requirements to own one? I hope I posted this in the correct section :/.

Thanks.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 4, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Bigjim3

I had one it was great I sold it on here.. Never any problems and was a great shooter.. Very fun to own..
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old August 11, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
paull

I have no problems with mine...
Interesting spring sound when fired...
(tthhhhhrrrrruuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...)
I need to have the muzzle threaded for a can...
Remember that once you attach a rifle upper to it, the lower can never be used or assembled as a pistol again.
p
Old August 23, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Trapp

Quote:
Remember that once you attach a rifle upper to it, the lower can never be used or assembled as a pistol again.
p
I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this one. Blatantly untrue. There are plenty threads on here talking about this.
Old August 23, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
PTK

Unfortunately, it's not BS. The BATFE currently holds that position, and violation of it is violation of the NFA, which carries enormous penalties.
Old August 23, 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
LukeA

Yup. You can make a rifle from a pistol, but a pistol made from a rifle (made by removing the pistol lower from the MT unit and attaching a barrel <16in in length) is subject to the NFA.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Trapp

I can see where a few of you are mistaken. There is a clause that prevents the conversion of a rifle to a pistol without a tax stamp.

That is not the case with a pistol converted to a rifle.

Case in hand is that of Thompson/Contender.

I suggest you do your own research or blindly believe the interweb. It is up to you...
Old August 25, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
PTK

Speaking of believing the internet or doing your own research, the case of United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co is very specific in ruling - that the kits in question and only the kits in question may go back and forth legally without a tax stamp as long as at no point is there a stock and a barrel under 16" attached.

To think otherwise goes against the Supreme Court, goes against what the BATFE has stated multiple times in letters, and goes against the letter of the law (1934NFA).

It's your life, though, feel free to break the law. I'm simply making you aware of the consequences.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:13 PM   #9
flight954

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416970

Tags
mech tech