The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 28, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Thompson Center AOW...need help on classification.

I've been contemplating a T/C AOW for some time.

Just a question how would a 12ga rifled barrel on a pistol griped frame be classified?

A short barreled shotgun, a DD, or pistol over .50 caliber?
Old December 28, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Just a question how would a 12ga rifled barrel on a pistol griped frame be classified?
I am waiting with bated breath, the replies to this...
As I understand it, the bore being well over .50 cal would be tuff to get approved...
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
David Hineline

I would vote for Destructive Device, unless you could get ATF to accept it for sporting purpose like it does for 600 and 700 Nitrol Express type rifles.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Crosshair

It would be AOW IF the frame has never ever had a butstock attached and the barrel is under 18"

If you are going the Form 1 route you might as well go SBS unless the state you live in forbids them because it is $200 to build either AOW or SBS and then you could have a stock. Your bio says you are in Georga, so you can have all NFA.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Rifled barrel or not, 12 gauge = shotgun.

If you are submitting a form 1 to make something, may as well go for SBS if your state will allow.

Pistol grips are cool but shorties with stocks get shot more.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
David Hineline

AOW is smooth bore pistol. Rifled handgun over 50caliber would be large bore destructive device.
Old December 29, 2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

David is right.

If the gun is registered as a SBS it won't matter what kind of barrel it has though.
Old December 29, 2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Andy Griffith

Dealer is helping to walk me through the process.
However, if I understand correctly, if the paperwork is messed up- I have to resubmit it again, wait again, and submit another $200.

Am I correct, that if try to apply for the stamp:

* With a pistol receiver, (and a 12ga barrel) this would be a DD?
* With a rifle/shotgun receiver, it would become a SBS, but I am limited to keeping a stock on it?
* With a rifle/shotgun receiver combined with a pistol grip, it is an AOW?

This is what gives me a headache. I take it that it makes a great deal of difference which receiver I'm going to base this thing on. A SBS or AOW is a bit more versatile than a DD, correct? Or, with the DD designation, is it possible to configure it? I do understand that DD's are more of a pain in the sense that I might have trouble transferring it if I ever want to get rid of it?

Last edited by Andy Griffith; December 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old December 29, 2009, 04:56 PM   #9
richmondtx

I haven't heard of having to submit 200.00 again if your paperwork is in error...they refund you your money along with the rejected app. I haven't had one sent back..but I haven't heard of anyone loosing their 200.00 because of something being incorrect. A buddy of mine was getting a SBR done, and he listed is address as a PO Box which isn't allowed anymore, so they kicked his app back and had him list his address...he didn't have to fork over an additional 200 bucks for that.

Anyone got any other experiences?
Old December 29, 2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Andy Griffith

I have always been told that they kept the $200 if it is filed incorrectly, and you had to submit another $200 if you had to resubmit. I hope I've been told wrong.
Old December 29, 2009, 05:47 PM   #11
David Hineline

Dealer is helping to walk me through the process. If you are using a real dealer not some guy who charges $25 and does transfers out of a box in the alley he should be able to handle all your questions.

You for the most part don't understand anything, I think you should forget everything you have heard and ask your dealer.

However, if I understand correctly, if the paperwork is messed up- I have to resubmit it again, wait again, and submit another $200. If you make mistakes on the paperwork it will be sent back for corrections till you get it right, work with a real dealer and there will be no mistakes. One tax one item no matter how many times you goof up the paperwork.

Am I correct, that if try to apply for the stamp:

* With a pistol receiver, (and a 12ga barrel) this would be a DD? Only if the barrel is rifled, smooth bore would be AOW.

* With a rifle/shotgun receiver, it would become a SBS, but I am limited to keeping a stock on it? A SBS can have a stock but one is not required.

* With a rifle/shotgun receiver combined with a pistol grip, it is an AOW? vertical pistol grips more than one on a pistol make it an AOW, you can have 32 or more vertical pistol grips on a rifle or shotgun.

This is what gives me a headache. I take it that it makes a great deal of difference which receiver I'm going to base this thing on. A SBS or AOW is a bit more versatile than a DD, correct? Or, with the DD designation, is it possible to configure it? I do understand that DD's are more of a pain in the sense that I might have trouble transferring it if I ever want to get rid of it?

The advantage to a SBS is cost as a host shotgun is more available then a bare receiver custom built as would be requried for an AOW.

The advantage to AOW is a $5 transfer tax as opposed to $200 for short shotgun, the added cost due to rarity and custom nature of the build ususaly offsets this cost, plus to build an AOW or SBS the tax is $200 but the AOW transfers later for $5. The real advantage to AOW is it can transport across state lines without ATF approval, a SBS or DD can not.

SBS or DD you could register it either way, no one would notice or care, the DD dealer's license is quite expensive so their are not many, so if you try to sell your DD across state lines finding a dealer can be hard, so ATF will let regular NFA dealers handle a few DD transfers is no DD dealer can be found in the area.

Read this it should clear up a lot. Some of the info is out of date but it will be a good beginner piece for you.

http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt
Old October 6, 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
nightwolf1974

what would it classified though if he used the pistol gripped frame and a 12'" smooth bore barrel? AOW or DD?