The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
42769vette

berger bullet range report

i got to shoot my new reloads today and am fairly happy. im shooting a 243 prohunter 1-10 twist. my load was 95 gr berger vdl coal was 2.74. my first 3 shot group was with 38 gr of h414 wich is the minium charge and it shot about 1.5 inches at 100 yds. my next batch was with 38.5 gr h414 (everything else the same) and it shot about 1 inch. my 3rd group was with 39 gr h414 and it shot about .65 group.

the good news is the bullets appear to be stabilizing fine, and as im adding more powder my groups are shrinking. my max is 41.7 gr powder so im going to load some more at 39.5, 40, 40.5 and see if they keep shrinking. also none of the cases i shot today had any sign of pressure problems.

i figure ill keep going up until i see signs of pressure or my groups get bigger then break the charge down to tenths of a gr. then i can play with my seating depth after that.

all and all im fairly happy.