The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2009, 01:57 AM   #1
diowk

Why Dillon is a good decision

This thread is for anyone who is new to reloading (like me) and trying to figure out which name to buy. It's a very tough decision that took me some time but I finally went with Dillon and this is what I realized:
At first I thought Dillon presses were so expensive because they were the finest built presses on the market; and many owners would argue this is true. But from owning one I've realized the other reason they are so expensive is the customer service. They probably lose a tonne of money on the killer service they give you. I know one guy who bought a used dillon that had broken and missing parts and Dillon shipped him everything he needed to get in running like new again. If a part on your press brakes any time before you DIE, they will replace it and ship it to you all for free. They have me convinced at least. So if anyones trying to make the decision, I'm +1 for dillon.
Old May 2, 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Sport45

So you're okay with paying up front for all the spare parts you may (or may not) need?

I have a 550b and like it okay. For what you get I agree it costs too much. If given the choice I would have paid less for the press and agreed to pay for any repair parts needed down the road.

If I was going to buy a new progressive today it would be hard to pass on the Hornady L-n-L with the 1000 bullets included. At least then I'd be getting something I could use for the extra cost.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:11 AM   #3
indiandave

I like my Dillon. You are right customer service is great. It may cost more but it holds its value better and if you want to sell it you can get a better price than other brands.

Hornady's bullet give away would only be good if you use Hornady bullets. I don't so it would not make sense in my case.

I have loaded over 10,000 rounds on my dillon.The only thing I ever had to replace was the little blue tip on the end of the primer magazine.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Mike40-11

They don't lose money on their customer service. They make money on it.

Seriously. What are they known for? Why are people willing to pay their prices? Why do they sell so much equipment? Because everybody knows they stand behind their products and will take care of the customer.

I've got a 550 and couldn't be happier. Had it about 2 years and haven't had to call Dillon for anything. Press cost me just over 400 bucks and I've got probably another 150 in other pieces (shell holders, etc). I don't see any other progressives that are significantly cheaper, other than Lee.

I've heard plenty of folks just as happy with their LnLs or Lymans. Dillon definitely seems to have more 'partisans' though. Customer loyalty says something about the equipment and company.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5
CTpistol

While Im sure there are just as good (or better?) presses out there...I too am impressed with Dillon and am sticking with them....

They have a business model down - make a decent product and back it up with awesome support. One call and they help ya out, no questions asked.

Resale is also top notch if/when you get out of reloading.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Don H

The customer always pays for "customer service" and "guarantees", either up front or on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Old May 2, 2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Shoney

The best customer service probably comes from RCBS. All the major equipment makers have as good as if not better customer service than Dillon. Once an Urban Myth gets going, it's difficult to stop.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 2, 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
roc1

Dillons are great but I own the Hornady as well. Both machines are pretty much equal as each has good and bad points.Hornady"s service is a good as Dillons is in my experince. They have taken good care of me when I needed anything.I toured Dillons factory last week when I was in Phoenix.The people were very friendly and helpful. I think you would be satisified with either machine if a guy was buying one. I speak from someone who owns both machines.
roc1
Old May 2, 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Tex S

I own a swimming pool service company and have been in the service industry for 12 years. I must say that excellent customer service is definately worth the money. It does cost a bunch of money to provide great customer service from a company standpoint, but most customers are ok with the extra up front costs if they feel confident you will be there in the long run.

You gotta take care of those that take care of you! In a customer/company relationship, it works both ways.

I do not own a progressive press, but if I ever did buy one it would be blue. I have seen countless threads on Dillons over the top customer service.

I have not seen so many for Hornady and RCBS.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:29 PM   #10
rn22723

Dillon puts out product out not VAPOWARE.........................you get answers and product from them unlike some other companies.....of the red variety....free bullets are a marketing trick, and well.....how many have found shell plates for the Hornady......Same for Lee....................RCBS is great to deal with....emailed for a part on Wed of this week, and the email was answered Friday with a note saying the part was in the mail....that is Great CS. I have had nothing but great CS from Redding, RCBS, and Dillon....not so much from Hornady.....................
Old May 2, 2009, 06:41 PM   #11
A/C Guy

Dillon does make good equipment, but they are very expensive. I compared Dillon to Hornady and the Dillon 550 with 4 calibers will cost over $1000. The Hornady will cost $900. The Lyman Turret Kit will cost me under $500. That is complete with dies, powder measure, scale, lube pad, primer tubes, etc. Everything you need to load. To load one caliber with a Dillon 550 will cost $600 just to start. 4 calibers are over a grand.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:05 PM   #12
JayCee

About 5 or 6 years ago, I decided to upgrade to a progressive press. I checked out both the Hornady LnL AP and the Dillon 650, and went with the Hornady because it was significantly cheaper and seemed to be comparable to the 650. During the time that I've owned it, I've loaded thousands of rounds and have worn out almost every part on the thing. Hornady always sends me replacement parts promptly, at no charge and with no questions asked. The press still runs just as good as it did when I first bought it. I'm sure Dillon's service is excellent, but I doubt it's any better than Hornady's.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old May 2, 2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Storm52

I own Dillon's Square Deal and the 550. Only presses I've owned and used. I picked up the SDB at a garage sale for $100 and it has loaded over 10k rounds of 45 acp without a hiccup. The 550 is used for 40, 38/357 and 9mm. Great presses, great customer service and no bull****.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:07 PM   #14
crowbeaner

Hell, even burglars know that Dillon makes top shelf equipment; that's why the bastards stole everything blue in my shed!
Old May 2, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Steviewonder1

Why Dillon?

Because of the NO BS Warranty. Anything fails or breaks they will ship a replacement NEW part to you. You do have to know how to break down the press and which part to call for. In the 17+ years I have had my two Twin SDB's I have had only a couple of calls for repair parts, all in the last 2 years. Read that as NO problems loading thousands of Pistol rounds of ammo for 15 years!. Issues were springs for the return of the powder measure and the powder adapter to the charging die station. Both replaced with NO $$$ in 5 business days. All came with a new Instruction book that showed a couple of lubrication points that were not in my manuals from 17 years ago. I will buy again and again if needed. I do not care what it costs, I care for what it delivers with NO issues. Went from Brand Green Single Stage press, powder measure, and dies to Dillon Progressive. Glad I did!
Old May 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #16
harry carey

i have been handloading since 1974. currently use 11 presses not counting the dillon hanging on a tree. if i were starting today i would buy a hornady ap. if you do very high volume the dillon just doesnt hold up. i have owned four dillons since 1983. i load forty different rifle and handgun cartridges . no rifle is loaded on a dillon. their service has been terrible for at least two customers , myself and a friend who has loaded for 50+ years and loads tremendous amounts of ammo as well. once you get used to a press it is difficult to change, habit takes over. the best handgun ammo i have produced was loaded on a Ponsness warren p200 i bought in 1979, i think, i still have it and use it for the old stuff, 38wcf, 32wcf,44wcf, etc. i once bought a dillon press and scraped it for parts. most folks really load and shoot very little and would produce much better loads on a single stage or p200 press.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:52 PM   #17
Steviewonder1

Dillon Decision...

Harry Carey.
Single stage presses are great for Rifle Ammo, but suck for Pistol. I loaded several thousand on the Green Brand of single stage press with the Ammo Blocks and passing things back and forth under the powder measure, changing the dies out. Progressive is the only way to go for Pistol and Dillon Excells on that. Single stage for Rifle I will agree is the best way if time is not an issue. I cannot see spending 1 hour to load 20 rounds of any Rifle ammo.
Old May 3, 2009, 04:56 AM   #18
Sport45

Keep in mind when buying used equipment that the Dillon "No B.S." warranty applies to the original purchaser. A friend of mine found this out when he needed parts for a 550 that he bought second-hand.

I don't know what the warranty terms are for Hornady. I know RCBS sent me an upgrade kit to put the decapping pin in the sizing die of an old .357mag die set free of charge even though I told them I wasn't the original purchaser. YMMV
Old May 3, 2009, 09:10 AM   #19
Alleykat

Any "excess" spent on the purchase of a Dillon will more than be made up by the decrease in the need for Valium with the "other" presses.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:03 PM   #20
dmazur

I guess I'm another "Blue Kool-Aid" drinker -

Really impressed with Dillon customer service. I only had one question when I was getting started with the 550B, and they helped without talking down to me.

I did buy spare parts for the primer magazines. The plastic "flexible orifice" doesn't last forever, and you can wind up blaming the press for primer handling trouble if you don't change it when it wears out.

Perhaps a design that doesn't have this fussy little plastic part is more durable, like the Hornady LNL AP, but it does work for thousands of rounds.

I also added micrometer adjustment knobs for the powder measures, and it remains to be seen if this was just a waste of time & money or if it makes changing loads significantly easier. They are available from UniqueTek.com and are $50 each, I think.

So, after 7 years (?) I'm still impressed with Dillon. Other manufacturers may have products that are as good or better, as is true with a lot of things.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Shoney

What????
Dillon don't have no stinking BS??? Instead they have runny cow flop!!!

I have both a Dillon 550 and a Hornady LNL AP. The LNL is by far the superior machine.

Downfall and weak point$ of the dillon$ are exce$$ive cost$, the primer $y$tem, exce$$ive cost$, the old tech powder measure$,oh and did I mention exce$$ive cost$, and need to buy duplicative expen$ive $etup$ in order to be truly quick changed.

The LNL will produce measurably more concentric ammo (ammo with better run out) than a 550 or 650; has more innovative and versatile quick change bushings; more accurate and more easily repeatable powder measure system (no need to buy multiple powder measure to quick change) and more at a lower price.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 3, 2009, 03:09 PM   #22
Storm52

Keep in mind when buying used equipment that the Dillon "No B.S." warranty applies to the original purchaser. A friend of mine found this out when he needed parts for a 550 that he bought second-hand.

Not true. Warranty, which I have used for the 2nd hand Square Deal, covers the machine not the owner(s).
Old May 3, 2009, 03:26 PM   #23
freonr22

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

a good read
Old May 3, 2009, 06:09 PM   #24
orionengnr

Quote:
Keep in mind when buying used equipment that the Dillon "No B.S." warranty applies to the original purchaser.
I inherited my 450 about two years ago. Shortly thereafter I managed to break a de-capping pin. One phone call and several were in the mail. They had no issue with the fact that I was not the original owner.

Sometime thereafter I managed to bugger up the primer holder (not sure of the exact name). One more phone call, same result.

Both of these issues were due to my oversight/negligence.

Dillon's CS is excellent, and I will soon buy a 550 as a result of my experience.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:13 PM   #25
JAYBIRD78

I don't have any experience with Dillon.

However, RCBS is top notch in my book. I am expecting in a few days a decaping pin that I broke on my .223 die. I was getting a little over zealous and forced it to break. I emailed and they replied in 72 hours (weekend email).

RCBS is sending me a new pin at NO CHARGE!

Spend your money wisely.