The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2009, 07:22 AM   #26
Dingoboyx

Could it be

The firing pin is a bit gunked up, and needs a good clean in there, so the pin can go back in easier? Perhaps crud around the pin is slowing its retreat causing the tail?

I dont see any drastic signs of overpressure, no flow and blistering. I agree, the primers might be a little loose in the pocket (a bit too well cleaned.... including some of the brass)

If you found the brass at the range, it might have been reloaded 300 times?
Certainly looks like the pin is getting out fine, looks like my G34 primer strike (mine looks like it has tried to go thru the primer) must be on steroids or something

Looks to me like the pin is getting out fine, but having trouble getting back in? worth a look?

What do primers look like from factory rounds? Same? or normal?

Last edited by Dingoboyx; May 1, 2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: last question
Old May 1, 2009, 08:06 AM   #27
bozhoz

Thanks for all the adivce gentleman. It has been a great learning experience for me. I believe I am going to back off the powder charge about 0.2 grains and continue to test. Gives me a little more comfort zone just in case I screw something up (seating one too deeply, case variations, etc).
Old May 1, 2009, 12:09 PM   #28
Powderman

Quote:
The radius of the primer edge does not make this look like the primer is excessively flattened. So, I am not so sure that the problem with the primer indentation is actually an indication that PEAK pressure is too high.

It may be that the pressure REMAINS higher longer into the cycling of the action, compared to other powders. That, together with other gun issues, may be causing the primer to drag across the firing pin while it is still protruding. Somebody who is more familar with self-loaders will need to chime in on that.
Excellent post and observation!

The root cause might well be powder that is actually too slow for your application. In this case, the powder is still burning and actually building pressure when the pistol is unlocking. A faster burning powder might be in order.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:13 PM   #29
N.H. Yankee

It could still be the gun, I just went out back to my range with a Sig SP2022 9mm and a Taurus OSS 9mm. I fired 10 rounds from each of the same factory ammo ( Igman 124gr Ball ) and the Sig primers had a perfect center punch indent no swiping, but the Taurus primers WOW! . Actually had some flow ridge and a really long noticable swipe, it looks like my Glock 9mm primers. So the Glock and the Taurus both have the distorted primer and the Sig doesn't all using the same ammo.
I Also know the Taurus OSS will not cycle with mild rounds and some mid level rounds. The Glock also likes its ammo on the warmer side but not to the extreme the OSS does, but the Sig will cycle lower velocity ammo so I have to wonder if the recoil spring does have an impact ( no pun ) on the primer? I have noticed this on many 40S&W primers on more than one make of gun. I also wonder if the firing pin spring is weak on the guns that swipe the primer.

Last edited by N.H. Yankee; May 2, 2009 at 09:11 AM.