The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2017, 12:28 AM   #1
Kachok

30 Nosler

Been thinking of a building a dedicated long range rifle and looking at my options for caliber. Love my 6.5mms but being a long range hunter I want a little more margin of error for shot placement on medium game. Not going to go with a 7mm since I have had such bad luck with them in the accuracy department, and I had to nix the 300 RUM because I am planning on using a Savage action and the RUM is a 3.600" length. Looking at the data the 30 Nosler can duplicate the RUM performance in a standard length action and do so a bit more efficiently. Does anyone have any real world experience or opinion on this cartridge?
For those not familiar with it the 30 Nosler is a standard length (3.340" max) 35 degree shoulder cartridge that has a case capacity about 10 gr more then the 300 Win Mag and about 20gr less then the 300 Ultra Mag. According to Nosler it maxes out 210gr bullets around 3,000fps. 180s get moving right around 3,200fps putting it right behind the RUM on the performance scale.

Last edited by Kachok; August 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old August 20, 2017, 12:44 PM   #2
huntinaz

No experience but like the idea myself. IF I was building a rifle right now the 30 Nosler would be in the running. I think you should do it a report back