The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Please Help: Shotgun scope

I have a new 12GA mossberg slug gun. I am horrible with iron sights but I love my scopes. I can get on target at 3 or 4 power a lot quicker than iron sights.
I am on a very tight budget and have found quite a few deals.
I need help, especially if anyone has first hand experience with any scopes that I can find for under $100 and at least 4 inch eye relief.
The models I am looking at are
-Simmons ProSport 4X32 Shotgun/Muzzelloader scope
-TruGlo 4X32 Shotgun scope
-Bushnell Cantilever Shotgun scope
-Cabela's EXT Shotgun Scope
-Or, suggestions??????

I like the idea of the 6" eye relief on the Bushnell and the reviews are decent but at the moment, the price is on the high end of my possibilities.
I also have a $25 cabelas gift card, so if I find one on there I can use the card towards it.
After sighting in, chances are that this gun will be out of the case only a few times a year, including a few shots throughout the year to maintain zero.
I hunt close to home so its not going on any long rough truck rides either.
I know many posts have been done on this topic but I cant seem to find them and was hoping to hear some experience with these scopes.
I also know you get what you pay for with optics, and I would have all Leupolds if I could afford it, have one, I would marry it if I could, haha.
But school, next to no work, and getting married in the next year limits my funds.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
zippy13

Before you select a scope, consider what type of mount you're going to use and the resulting eye relief and stability.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
jrothWA

Having used shotguns since 1979,

recommend a 1.5 - 4X varialbe or single power , either 1.5 or 2.5.

This is due to the limited range of lead slugs and modtly the type of hunting, brushy wooded for hunting.

If more open land and range then higher, but no greater that 6X

Have you considered a receiver sight? Look at Williams gunsite website for the "5D" series. Might help.

Good luck.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Blacktail_Slayer

Thank you for your advice.
It is not a cantilever barrel. I am going to try and put a picture on here.
I have shot similar shotguns that belong to a couple buddies, one has a 5.5 inch eye relief and the other has 4 inch eye relief and that works fine, but I need to add weight to mine, after 15 shots trying to get the iron sights on, I had a fat lip, brused shoulder and the slide came back once and took some skin off my hand, I guess thats what I get for doing it prone instead of finding a bench haha.
The scope I have on it in the picture is one I have laying around, tried it once, WAY too little relief on it. 3 inches max
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAAAAAA.jpg (52.4 KB, 50 views)
Old January 20, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
upstate81

Well why is it slid all the way back in the rings?
Old January 20, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
redstategunnut

This is a joke, right?
Old January 20, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Blacktail_Slayer

Why are you asking if its a joke?

The scope is positioned how it is because that is where I needed it to be.
I started by establishing where my head lines up on the stock in a quick, natural, comfortable fashon. Then mounted the scope to fit where it needed to be in order to gain a clear sight through the scope.
Note, that picture is for display purposes only, after I took it, I had got new rings, cause if you notice, the rear one is broken where it attatches to the rail.

Please, I am looking for opinions and experiences on any scopes that match the criteria I said in the original post.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8
redstategunnut

Ok, it's not a joke. Sorry.

I have no information relevant to this inquiry.

Good luck, carry on.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:15 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I am not sure but I think you are doing a few things, well maybe not wrong, but not how I was taught.
As far as the scope, I have a cabelas shotgun scope and it is a great scope for a shotgun or a ML. Very clear glass and I have used it a few seasons without problems.

If you are having problems controlling the gun now I recommend you not scope it. "Scope eye" is no fun, and can cause permanent eye damage.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
shortwave

Blacktail,

I don't have any experience with the scopes you've listed. Sorry I can't give any info. on them but I have some experience with Nikon scopes and for me they're hard to beat for the money. Nikon offers a shotgun scope(specific) that a friend of mine swears by.

What kind of mounts are you looking at? The best scope in the world can give you trouble with inferior mounts.

Also, agree with johnwilliamson.
Respectfully, if that shotgun beat you up like that in 15 shots, you need some changes to your technique's and scoping your shotgun won't add enough weight to compensate for other issue's.

Last edited by shortwave; January 20, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:30 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Cabelas Scope
That is the current Cabelas scope and I actually wouldn't buy it. Once I shoot all my Hornady slugs, which will probablly take a couple years, I won't be buying more. In 20 ga maybe, but they are a bit much for me in 12 ga. They have a 300 FPS advantage over the winchester and federal sabboted slugs my friends shoot, but there isn't any reason for it as none of the shotgun I have used em in have proven accurate to go out past 125(at an extreme). I wouldn't buy a scope designed around shooting them a $25 gift card it would be very cheap though and I might be able to figure out the other ranges or just ignore them.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Cary

Blacktail Slayer,

I purchased one of the Bushnell shotgun scopes several years ago and have been pleased with it. I didn't install it on a shotgun but on a 357 mag lever gun. It has the eye relief I wanted (6") and the magnification is plenty for this gun. Here is the one I purchased and Cabela's has it for $99. Take a look at it.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...0#productChart
Cary