The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2010, 07:00 AM   #26
youp

The latest rage in Industrial Health is the fact that your hearing is damaged by sound waves that get to your inner ear through the bones in your body. Companies have tried some types of helmets only to find out that sound can still damage your hearing through your entire skeleton.

Protecting your hearing is important. At the range I use double protection. In the bush I use none. I am primarily a big game hunter, a couple of shots per year does not improve the ringing in my ears. A benefit is that most of what my wife has to say is not worth listening to anyway. I just wish my grand daughters would speak up.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:45 AM   #27
Double Naught Spy

So the neoprene head wrap should have the additional benefit of reducing some of the bone conduction as well? It also does a good job of keeping my face and sides of my head toasty. The muffs are Peltor Comtacs.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:04 PM   #28
cnimrod

off ear

Buzzcook wears one in his right ear. Are you a lefty? Seems the off ear bears the brunt of muzzle blast. Least that's father's case after 65 years of shotgunning without protection.

as for OP, I don't worry or notice in a hunting situation. If I were into fowl hunting doing a lot of shooting as one poster noted I would consider protection.