The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 1998, 04:20 PM   #1
tim

i'm thinking about buying the rcbs kit to reload 7.62x39. i've been shooting federal classic in my ruger mini-30 with 2" groups common. will I be able to produce a load as accurate and how much other equipment(minus bullet components)will I need to start. thanks for any replies.
Old December 16, 1998, 08:00 PM   #2
Contender

Tim, if it is the Master Reloading Kit I'm looking at here, it looks fairly complete to get you going. If this is your first shot at reloading, read that excellent Speer manual that comes with it cover to cover first. Everyone has their own preferences with regard to equipment brand,types,progressive verses single stage presses and the amount of equipment needed. With this set you might want to get a calipers to measure case lengths for trimming purposes and of course a good quality set of dies. The RockChucker press is a real tank. Powder,primers and bullets will be listed for each load in the manual. Be aware the 7.62X39 uses Two different bullet diameters. In the Mini-30 I believe, .308 dia. bullets are used, in the SKS rifles I believe it is a larger diameter bullet.(.311 I think). This will be explained in the manual. With some experimentation at the reloading bench (WITH RECOMMENDED LOADS) and at the range, you should be able to develop some accurate loads in time. But, that's the fun of handloading.

Are we having fun yet?
Old December 17, 1998, 10:13 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Contender is correct in all regards. The only point I would add is that if it is possible, find someone who is already an experienced reloader and join in on a reloading session or four with them. Ask questions. Watch how they work. Observe their work habits. Do they keep their bench orderly? Are they rushing through each job? Do they QC their loadings on a regular basis? My experience has found that generally someone who is careless about one part of reloading is careless about all of it. That is not the person you want to learn from. Book learning is great but real world experience can't be beat. That said get at least a couple more reloading manuals as no one manual will have every load that you're probably looking for and it never hurts to have a second opinion on anything-especially on something that can do some REAL damage to your body if it KBs. Plus most manuals use different components and even different testing procedures! So the apparently same loading from two different sources could have two different results.
Old December 18, 1998, 10:55 PM   #4
Kevin

I bought the RCBS Master reloading Kit about
5 years ago. I think it is the best way to start out everything you need is in it minus the dies.
I added the piggy back about two years ago and am very happy i did.
RCBS stands behind all their products, the few times I have had problems they helped me solve them promptly.