The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 4, 2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Mike38

Illinois CCL

Just saw the following announcement on the Face Book page of the range I'm a member of.

"At this time, the Illinois State Police (ISP) is not accepting CCL renewal certificates. Please do not try to submit them. When the Governor’s Executive Order is lifted and the 12 month clock starts, you will be able to upload your renewal certificate. We will keep you posted."

Not sure I understand it. My CCL is due for renewal by November 2020. I had seen at the Illinois State Rifle Association web site that there would be delays, but to go ahead and take the required renewal live fire training, then apply with fees, and you're good to go even if the card itself expires, they would allow a 12 month grace period. Now it looks like they will not even accept the renewal application. So does my CCL expire? Still good until further notice? I've heard a phone call to the State Police does not get answered. The ISRA is probably getting swamped with questions. Anyone know what to do?

In these troubling days, I really don't want to let my CCL expire. But it kind of appears Illinois is pulling a fast one and not upholding the law allowing Concealed Carry.
Old June 4, 2020, 11:05 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Is there a gun owners rights organization in Illinois similar to the VCDL? I reported not too long ago that Connecticut had shut down fingerprinting for firearms permits, using COVID-19 as the reason, even though they continued to take fingerprints for other purposes such as security officer applications. The Connecticut Citizens Defense League filed a lawsuit in federal court. Two days later the State iof Connecticut and all local police departments in Connecticut suddenly began taking fingerprints again.

You may need a lawsuit to prime the pump.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606934
Jeepaholic
Old June 5, 2020, 05:51 AM   #3
cecILL

We all try to play by the rules.
Very sad that the ones who make the rules don't follow them.
Old June 5, 2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Mike38

Well this is refreshing! I decided to call the Illinois State Rifle Association to see if by chance I could talk to a live person. A very nice lady picked up the phone on the second ring. Either I'm lucky, or there is not the flood of calls going into the ISRA that I thought there would be.

As it stands now, Illinois CCL holders that will need to renew their license should go ahead and take the required class and live fire courses. Fill out the required information on the Illinois State Police web site. But, you can not upload the proof of retraining form that you received after taking the required classes. You sit back and wait, and will be notified when you can upload the form to ISP. In the mean time, if the expiration date on your CCL card passes, you still have a valid CCL. This extension of expiration will last for up to 12 months. I guess they figure everything will return to somewhat normal before that time?

Anyhow, nothing to worry about. No one will loose their Illinois CCL because of a delayed system due to Covid-19 problems. It sounds like the Illinois State Rifle Association is keeping a close eye on this, and will inform the public if problems do pop up. Glad I'm a member of the ISRA.
Old June 5, 2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

The problem is if you travel to another State after your Illinois CCL reads as "expired". Hopefully, you have a CCW from another State.
Old June 5, 2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Mike38

Quote:
The problem is if you travel to another State after your Illinois CCL reads as "expired". Hopefully, you have a CCW from another State.
Excellent point. While I rarely leave the county I live in, there are people that, for example, live in Illinois and work in Iowa. Iowa recognizes the Illinois CCL, but not if it's expired I'm sure.
Old June 5, 2020, 03:47 PM   #7
littlebikerider

The FOID/CCL system in Illinois is a bad joke without a punchline. My wife filed her FOID renewal last December, three months before its expiration, and long before we were discussing COVID-19. That application is still "under review" six months later. And there are thousands more like her. IL is one of three states with a firearm owners ID card, and it needs repealed. Illinois politicians just use it as a money magnet. The funds come in for FOID/CCl fees, then get swept into other buckets.

The one good thing COVID-19 did for us is tie up the legislators on a revised budget so they didn't have time to try ramming through the bill that would have made FOID even worse.

ISRA and other groups have been our champions the last couple of years while the NRA has been busy printing letters to ask for more money.

....rant over...
Old June 7, 2020, 01:00 PM   #8
defjon

Discussed this with local LEOs

Your foid and ccl will remain valid while expired until this madness resolves

I submitted all my stuff just before the Wuhan flu hit

They sure did take my money while sitting on my renewed ccp!
Old June 7, 2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Mike38

Quote:
Your foid and ccl will remain valid while expired until this madness resolves
Which leads to a question. Are the people that process the Illinois FOID and CCL applications civilians or sworn law enforcement?

If civilians that have been layed off / furloughed, ok, I understand the delay. Sworn law enforcement are essential workers, and there should be no delay in their jobs.

Am I being skeptical? Yes I am. For the most part, Illinois politicians hate the second amendment, hate guns, and hate us if the truth be known. So I have this feeling deep down inside they are playing a game.