The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2017, 09:57 AM   #1
chillymorn

Easing back into casting

What up guys.
Casted 44 swc 240 gr heads years ago with my father. We used a lyman double cavity mold at first and then slugged or swaged the barrel and ordered a custom mold from hodgon (spelling.) At .429 we then ordered a sizing die at .430 so we could just lube without deforming the head for better accuracy.

I have access to all the free lead i want but its pure lead. We used to mix it with wheel weights 50/50 to harden it up some. For rifle bullets we would mix it 50/50 with lynotype because the velocity was over 1000fps.

With all that said I only plan on using lead for pistol bullets. And i don't have access to wheel weights or lynotype. If i stay under 1000fps is pure lead ok?

Penn bullets is right down the rd. I could give them lead and they will pay me going rate for scrap and i could just buy hard cast heads from them. I don't have any molds so i would have a fair cash outlay before i could start casting.

My younger brother has all the molds and he is a pain in the ass about me using them. I do have a cheat elc furnace and a couple ladles but thats it.

So i am thinking about just swapping lead for heads and not even messing with casting but part of me enjoyed casring and want to carry on the practice.

Thoughts?

Chillymorn
Old March 11, 2017, 11:59 AM   #2
reddog81

Actual pure lead probably isn't what you want but you could sell or trade for Linotype and or high antimony or high tin % lead. There are probably people on the cast boolits forum who would do such trades if you watch the swapping and selling section over there.

Lee 6 cavity molds are pretty good value if they have a style you'd be interested in. I'd be hesitant to loan my molds to someone who's just starting out because they are pretty easy to abuse if you aren't paying attention. Maybe he'd be willing to help you get back into casting and could use his molds and try out the pure lead under his supervision.

The pure lead might work for light 38 special loads and maybe even light 45 loads. You might have a hard time getting good bullets without any tin in the mix.

What is the source of the lead and how confident are you that it is 100% pure? Just because some random Joe says it's pure doesn't mean that he know what he's talking about. You could get lucky and it's just some soft lead that ends up being perfect.
Old March 11, 2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Beagle333

You can shoot pure in .45 with just a little bit of tin/pewter. But you could get into black powder shooting easily and have a blast, if you really have unlimited pure lead. There are several cowboy revolvers that will shoot BP, even if you don't want to go back to just the cap n ball, which I find to be just loads of fun. Or as mentioned, just sell or trade for harder lead or bullets.
But with a pot and ladle, you're all set to be a cowboy, at the least.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 11, 2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

A bar or two of lynotype, foundry type or even copper type from roto metals would make your pure lead go a loooong way. I knock off maybe half a pound from a 5# bar of lynotype for my lead and it gets my pure lead to a hardness that perfectly suitable for pistol bullets. Pure lead will be ok of you keep speeds LOW. As stated a bit of tin, say even just some tin solder wire would firm up you lead for mellow pistol bullets.

And yes, of course you should cast yoir own. Its very rewarding in my opinion.
Old March 11, 2017, 08:41 PM   #5
243winxb

Trade lead for bullets, perfect.
Old March 12, 2017, 06:42 PM   #6
chillymorn

Well i think the trade it for hard cast is the way to go. Start up cost and time being the biggest factor.

In the mean time i'll keep an eye out for some used molds off craigs list,ebay,pennswoods,and gun shows.

Anybody in pa want to buy some lead.......i know a guy.
Old April 11, 2017, 12:59 PM   #7
CombatDiver

If you quench it in water you might get away with slower moving but it's not all about velocity as much as it is about simple shear strength. Soft lead will cause leading even at slower velocities. The modern answer is powder coating but there are other ways to encapsulate it to reduce that. That said, lead is worth its weight in lead. You shouldn't have any trouble getting the type of lead you need in exchange for the pure lead you have. Considering that we know very little about it, you may be better finding out more about it. Believe it or not, not all lead is of the same value. Some is worth more, alot more.
Old April 12, 2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Old 454

Roto metals for some tin. Add to your lead or as stated get there lino.. that will really help hardining your lead for pustol bullets.
I use a 3 to 1 lead to lino and shoot .357 9mm and 45acp