The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2001, 01:48 PM   #1
GlocknSpiel

Number of times .45 brass reload?

Typically, what is your experience in how many times you can reuse .45 brass in reloading?

Thanx.

JBB
Old December 15, 2001, 01:59 PM   #2
TEXAS LAWMAN

IMHO

I have .45ACP brass which I've reloaded at least 20 times since 1974. Usually, the headstamp is unreadable, the extractor rim is bent, etc.--not pretty, but it is still functional.
Old December 15, 2001, 04:06 PM   #3
Shooter 973

45 Brass ?

As a general rule I lose the 45acp brass in the weeds or rocks before I wear it out. all of my shooting is outdoors so the lose rate is about 10% each time I go shooting. That is one reason that I have 4 revolvers in 45acp, I hate losing the brass. I do shot autos but have to accept the loses.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old December 15, 2001, 04:51 PM   #4
Target Shooter

I agree with the above posts. I don't ever remember even splitting a neck on .45 ACP brass. I've been shooting the same brass since the 80's.

TS
Old December 15, 2001, 05:09 PM   #5
Monkeyleg

Interesting. I start getting case neck splits after a dozen to fifteen reloadings. I don't flare the case mouth any more than I have to. Wonder why?
Old December 15, 2001, 07:33 PM   #6
slickpuppy

Monkey/Dick,
I would be curious which brand brass you are using and what kind of loads.
Old December 15, 2001, 07:44 PM   #7
BigG

Like a lot of you said, I've reloaded it until the headstamp is unreadable and it still works. I do flare the mouths, every time.

That said, I've found for me that of the paramilitary brass from the big 3 (Win, Fed, Rem) I throw away the Federal as it has a different internal taper from the other two. Win and Rem/UMC are superior for target loads with lead, which is what I reload. If I shoot hardball, it's new.

I have a couple of five gallon pails full of 45 ACP, mixed Win (my fav) and Rem/UMC. The occasional TZZ or other odd headstamp gets tossed when I come to it. I process my brass by decapping/resizing, tumble, clean primer pocket, wash in soap and water, dry, and then recap. Package in paper bags of about 500. Then all I have to do is take a package, measure the powder and seat the bullet and I have about 10 boxes. One of the five gallon buckets has the brass all processed except for recapping. I guess the buckets hold about 10,000 each.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 15, 2001, 11:03 PM   #8
GlocknSpiel

Thanks!!

A colleague of mine just got a RCBS, and we are finally going to "economize", and we just had no flippin' clue. This really Helps...

JBB
Old December 15, 2001, 11:38 PM   #9
sricciardelli

I'm still using brass from 1963 ... mostly Winchester, since that is what the USAF had cases upon cases of.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:49 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

45 CASES (and case neck tension)

HIGHLY RECOMMEND IMI cases (new at www.wideners.com); best.
Winchester, Starline, R-P all good.

The reason some cases last longer: fired in different chamber/cylinder.

For those who REALLY reuse cases (any caliber) HIGHLY RECOMMEND LEE "U" Carbide undersized sizing die (about $20-25 from LEE).

Especially you 40 S&W reloaders; very little chance of KB if the bullet can't get pusher deeper when feeding.
Old December 16, 2001, 01:05 AM   #11
Freedom in theSkies

Quote:
Monkey/Dick,
Quote:
I would be curious which brand brass you are using and what kind of loads
Heh Heh...Hmmm ...
That's just too much. I'm sure it is unintentional
D@mn! I just can't stop laughin'!

Quote:
I have a couple of five gallon pails full of 45 ACP,
If you ever decide that reloading takes up too much time, please call me... I'd be more than willing to take all that pesky old brass off your hands...
Old December 16, 2001, 02:42 AM   #12
Clark

When I shoot it with 460 Rowland + 2 grains of powder, the brass is ruined from one use. It grows, and I don't like trimming.
Old December 16, 2001, 11:56 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

STRETCH AND BEND

Whose barrel?
Old December 16, 2001, 05:43 PM   #14
Monkeyleg

(Shrugging off the giggles over my user name and real name)...

The splits are with Federal (American Eagle) brass. I hadn't heard about the different taper that BigG mentioned. Load is 4.8 grains 231 with a 230 LRN bullet. Velocity is about 800-825.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:51 AM   #15
Bogie

Clark, don't take this the wrong way, but you're completely, totally, irrevocably insane...

Granted, the sucker's potent, but sheesh... If I need that sorta ballistics, I'll go find a rifle...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old December 17, 2001, 01:26 PM   #16
Desert Dog

Clark has a hand he doesn't want anymore...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 18, 2001, 12:38 AM   #17
garrettwc

Heads up! Stupid question incoming!

I know nothing about reloading other than it's supposed to be a lot of fun and you don't really save money you just shoot more

I have read these threads and the number of times you reuse the brass. Does this apply to all calibers? I am particulary interested in 9MM. I know some calibers(10MM or 38 Super for example) are higher pressure so presumably they would wear out quicker.

So how often could I reload standard pressure 9MM brass? And will I save enough over the $6-7 per box of 50 that I pay retail now. If I could shoot cast bullets and get my cost down to $3-4 per 50 that would be great.

Thanks for your patience and help on this.
Old December 18, 2001, 07:01 PM   #18
garrettwc

Told you I was stupid. I did a search this evening (after getting some sleep finally) and found this question in some previous posts. Manuals seem to say 8-10 times, you guys seem to say until the brass is unusable.

I guess it's easier to gauge after you have learned a little more about reloading. I will have to look at some reloading books and see what I can find.

Thanks anyways.
Old December 19, 2001, 07:46 AM   #19
WESHOOT2

...BASED ON YOUR GUN...

I have a 9x19 Nowlin match barrel hard-fitted to one of my EAA Witnesses (thanks, Bob Cogan) and the chamber is SO TIGHT that cases fired from it seem to last more than 30 reloads (and 'standard-pressure' cases don't even need resizing!).

I have a different 9x19 barrel with a Glock-sized chamber that allows the casres to expand to greater dimensions; these cases won't last as long.

9x19 cases are perhaps the most durable of all auto-loader cartridges; your results may vary.

If you reload you WILL save money; well worth the initial investment, even for casual reloading.
Old December 19, 2001, 05:46 PM   #20
Walt Welch

I have been reloading .45 ACP since 1967, and have some brass from that era which still works fine. I did chance upon a brass case from the WWII era a while ago, and retired it, even though it was still functioning very well. I have had a case split or two over the years, in .45 and .38/.357. They are easy to spot; rattle the lot of cases around in a tumbler or something else. The split case will ring like a bell. The best brass in .45 ACP is the Rem +P Ni plated. The Ni plating is thick enough to last forever.

9 x 19 is a different story. Remember that it works at roughly twice the pressure of the .45 ACP. Since there is a plethora of once fired brass at the range, I simply just use it once fired and leave it lay. For truly full power loads, I use new, factory primed Win Ni plated cases. A new case IS stronger than a once fired one.

Hope this helps, Walt