The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

wife wants a 9mm

My wife & I got our new Fl concealed permit last month. I qualified with my new Glock19 and my wife with her LCR 357. Afterwards she wanted to try mine and even though it was a bit too heavy for her, she turned around & smiled & said," I want a 9mm but not as heavy as yours".

We are both Past 65 but but she can rack my Glock.That was a big surprise. The help I'd like from the Forum is; I'd like 5 or 6 suggestions for her to try out at our range smaller and lighter in a 9mm and then we'll go and buy it for her. As always, all suggestions and advice is welcome. Remember, she's 5ft.5"and 110 lbs.

Doc
Old January 4, 2017, 02:06 AM   #2
marine6680

Problem is... smaller and lighter means more recoil, and she may not be happy.

It also means a heavier recoil spring is needed, and she may not be able to effectively manipulate the slide.

The G19 is about the lightest pistol in that size, if that is too heavy... I'm not sure where to go from there. And glocks tend to be on the lighter side of the spectrum when compared to similar sized pistols. So they would be the best choice if you want lighter than the 19... without getting too small and light.

A 26 is only a couple ounces lighter.

Now a 43 might work, it is about 5oz lighter than a 19.
Old January 4, 2017, 02:25 AM   #3
sigarms228

See if you can find a rental range and let her try out some different pistols. M&P Shield, Walther PPS, the Glocks Marine6680 mentioned, and maybe Ruger LC9 might be more to he liking but they hold about half as many rounds.

In my experience a lot of people want small and light pistols until they actually shoot them as Marine6680 indicated.
Old January 4, 2017, 06:54 AM   #4
vba

I would discourage the smaller 9mm in this case. As stated, small guns like the G43, LC9s, CM9 and others will have a more snappy recoil and are harder to rack.

I own the LC9s and like it as a summer carry gun but it does nothing for me as a range gun. I know, practice with what you carry and I do but certainly don't enjoy it.

The Glock 19 is a good solution and is what she liked. The G26 is also good, just a touch harder to rack the slide.
Old January 4, 2017, 07:13 AM   #5
TJB101

My wife has a hard time racking my lc9s ... and she's a pretty strong lady. She's been very happy with my 38 revolver with a light load

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
CDR_Glock

Have her try different 9 mm such as the Glock 43, Glock 26, S&W Shield, Springfield XDS, Ruger SR9C.

The Sig Sauer DA/SA trigger may be too heavy in DA for her. Though I like the PPS, its Mag release is a bit different. The P938 is a bit snappy and I'm not a fan of an external safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Brit

We have both, the 43 and the 42. My Wife will not carry, but if she did, it would be the 42, she can rack both, but the .380 is much easier to fire.
I carry a G19 always. We are always together, why does she need to carry?
Her argument.

As your Wife most likely will not be firing 1000 rounds? The G43 works, first time, all the time.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:04 AM   #8
MandolinMan

I would consider the .380 as well if I were you. As other have already pointed out, 9mm gets a little snappy in subcompact sized pistols. The Glock 42, Sig P238, or Walther PK380 might be good choices.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:07 AM   #9
FITASC

One other thing to reduce a little weight would be to use 10 round mags in the 19. Could it also be the thickness of the double stock grip? If so, she won't like the 26 but might like the single stack version. A Kahr might also be worth looking at. If it is truly only the weight, maybe another polymer gun might be a little lighter, but as mentioned, the lighter you go, the more the recoil goes up.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Targa

I am not a fan of the Shield but I am probably the exception not the norm. With that said, I agree with others who have suggested it.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:24 AM   #11
P5 Guy

Weight?

In a Glock 19 isn't the 15 rounds what makes the pistol too heavy?
Will your wife be amenable to carrying a G19 with a ten round or fewer load of ammunition?
Old January 4, 2017, 09:49 AM   #12
JDBerg

I have a Gen3 Glock 19 and a Walther PPS M2 9mm and these are both reliable and the accuracy between these 2 are very close. I would say the Walther is a bit more versatile to carry since it comes with a 6 round magazine which is best for carry, and it also comes with a 7 round magazine, and I bought two extra 8 round magazines which I like best for practice at the range. You really should let the wife try one of these!
Old January 4, 2017, 09:51 AM   #13
Pilot

A lightweight, mid sized (compact) 9MM would work if she can rack the slide with the hammer pulled back first. A CZ-75D PCR, P-07, RAMI, G19, etc. As others have said, nothing too small as it will be unpleasant to shoot.

The other gun I'd recommend is a 4" barrel .38 Spl revolver from S&W or Ruger.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:01 AM   #14
themalicious0ne

Walther ccp is a bit smaller and much easier to rack the slide. If she can handle a little but more recoil, I think this may be a great option along with the guns aforementioned.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:14 AM   #15
DT Guy

Honestly, we're all assuming the lady can't manage recoil; it's been my experience that recoil-sensitivity is extremely individual. The best thing would be to rent a G43 and Shield, and let her try them. You may find that the recoil doesn't bother her, and if she can rack them she'll be all set.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 4, 2017, 10:33 AM   #16
Brando1992

Walther ccp
Smith and wesson shield
Glock 26
Glock 43
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old January 4, 2017, 10:41 AM   #17
Skans

Ruger LC9 or LC9s - on the cheaper side
Boberg XR9-S (Bond Arms) - on the more expensive side
Old January 4, 2017, 10:48 AM   #18
Skans

Ruger LC9 or LC9s - on the cheaper side
Boberg XR9-S (Bond Arms) - on the more expensive side
Old January 4, 2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Can't believe I'm about to say this, Walther PPS.

Based on what you've described. Especially being past 65. I know people tend to overlook racking the slide, but it's needed to eject the round or more importantly clear a malfunction.

So the Walther PPS will fit the bill nicely.

The Shield recoils really well, but the slide will be harder to rack for her.

The Glock 43 recoils a little snappy, but the slide will be easier.

The PPS is your best bet!

Granted, I would rather see her with an HK P30SK or SIG Sauer P224.
Old January 4, 2017, 11:33 AM   #20
Doc Holliday 1950

Questions,

Thanks for the excellent replies

I think Glock is out because it has no safety.

what is the difference between a 9mm and a 380 in weight and recoil? This will probably be the major factor.

Last, budget is not a deal breaker but I don't want to spend more than $850.

She is a excellent shot and she hits wherever she aims.

Doc
Old January 4, 2017, 12:53 PM   #21
jmhyer

Sig 938?
Old January 4, 2017, 01:00 PM   #22
FITASC

380 has less recoil. Glocks DO have a safety - of sorts - it is the trigger mechanism. I prefer that, or the HK P7 style of "point and shoot" (like the old camera ads); it's just one less thing to worry or think about in a stress-filled moment. That said, thee are a lot of polymer guns that do come with a lot of extraneous safety devices.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2017, 01:12 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

I had a LCR 357 and if your wife can handle that with 357, I doubt the recoil of a 9mm is going to bother her. I'm in your age bracket as well and for me, the LCR with 357 pounded my hands too much so I eventually traded it off on a Smith Model 36 snub and just used 38 spl. (I really didn't care that much for my LCR).

Have her rent and try different models and see what she likes. I currently switch off the 36 to my Shield 9mm and the Shield is a nice carry and fun to shoot. It does have stiff racking but it all boils down to learning how to rack it the easiest way. I'm getting ready to move up to 45 cap but I can highly recommend the Shield and there are other brands out there equally as good. One thing that might dictate the size of what she ends up with will be how she is going to carry?
When I was looking for a single stack 9mm, I also looked at the Glock 43 and I liked it a lot but availability at the time was a long wait. I also looked at the Springfield single stack 9mm - I believe it was the XD? - a single stack with a grip safety on it. It too felt good in the hand.

Keep the wife happy with what works for HER and not what YOU would like - it will be "her" gun . . . . and if she likes it, she'll keep her hands off of your Glock!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 4, 2017, 01:20 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

.380 has a softer recoil.

With that softer recoil, is a round that you need to choose your ammo with very wisely. As it is otherwise anemic.

9mm all the way.
Old January 4, 2017, 01:28 PM   #25
jackstrawIII

Try the Walther CCP. One of the design requirements of that gun was the the slide be easy to operate. It's not super duper light either, which will help with controllability.