The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Which carry gun for the padre?

My dad was kicking around the idea of getting a small carry gun, although not for a good while, so this isn't an urgent decision; I'm just trying to narrow down some options for him, maybe for a Christmas gift or something.

He likes the size of the LC9 but hated the trigger (he never owned it, just held it at the shop). Ideally, he'd keep it at or under say $400 in 9mm or smaller caliber, even down to .22 I suppose. I don't think he has a preference for semi or revolver but I have never shot a revolver myself so I'm completely in the dark there.

He had a small .22 pistol for this purpose but he couldn't even get it on paper when shooting it and traded it in. I have no idea what model gun it was but that's his major concern: he wants a small enough gun to easily conceal (pocket size), but still be able to get hits. His eyes aren't what they used to be.

I think I narrowed down all the points he made. Thanks for any input you guys have.

-Mike
Old September 4, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Bozz10mm

The S&W SD9VE is a pretty decent, low priced hand gun. I have seen them in the $319 to $329 range recently. Academy had them for that.

For pocket size in that price range, look at this Bersa Thunder 380 at Cabelas. It's on sale for $319. Wow, gold trim looks nice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bersa...ls/1303220.uts

Last edited by Bozz10mm; September 4, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old September 4, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
csmsss

S&W Centennial. You can get them in a variety of chamberings from 22LR to .357, and they are light, concealable, and about as snag free as a firearm can be.
Old September 4, 2013, 02:50 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Training, skills, use of force....

First Id ask how much training or experience your dad has with handguns.
Some new or entry level gun owners want to rush into advanced level weapons or tactics based on what a gun shop clerk, neighbor or their favorite Hollywood cop show uses, .
Id advise your father to buy a new in box(NIB) DA only(no trigger spur) 5/6/7 shot revolver like a Charter Arms .44spl Pug(stainless steel), S&W 642 .38spl(no security lock), Ruger LCR in .38spl or .357magnum, S&W model 686+ 3" barrel .357magnum(DA/SA or custom DA only).
A revolver is simple to clean, load-unload & carry. Is it better than a DA only semi-auto? No. But over time & as his carry skills improve, he can move on to a semi-auto compact like a SIG P229R, a Glock 19/23, a XDm, a 1911a1 Commander .45acp, a M&P compact, a HK P30/P2000 LEM(law enforcement modification).
A spurless DA only pistol or revolver is smart. The hammer won't jab your side or snag on any garments. You also avoid any unfair claims of "cocking" the handgun or making bogus threats.
DA only weapons are in wide use with LE agencies like US Border Patrol/CBP, US Secret Service, NCIS, ICE, NYPD, Miami FL, LAPD.
Make sure your father keeps his sidearm clean and checks it often. Use a good CLP like these popular brands; Weaponshield, FrogLube, LPX, Gunzilla, Eezox, Ballistol, Rand CLP, Slip2000.
Have him use only high quality factory made rounds for carry/protection. No reloads or handloads.
Take a few classes or seminars too. Documented training will help you later in any civil or legal actions after a use of force event. There are many DVDs & books too.

ClydeFrog
www.nra.org www.gunvideo.com www.gunlawguide.com www.weaponshield.com www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.galls.com www.blackhawk.com www.slickguns.com www.gunsamerica.com www.eezox.com www.gunzilla.us www.natchezss.com www.handgunlaw.us www.deltapress.com www.paladin-press.com www.qmuniforms.com
Old September 4, 2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Mystro

Go quality. Check out the Sig Sauer P938. Light weight, all metal, night sights, etc... Its like a fine Swiss watch.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 4, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Which carry gun for the padre?
Mike,

I presume your father can't take a lot of recoil. Also he want's a light piece that is very easy to conceal. Added to that he does not want a complicated weapon that requires safeties and a long manual of arms on how to keep it loaded or cleaning.

Thus I can see:
1. Ruger LCR (revolver) in .22 Magnum.
2. Model 351 C in .22 Magnum

Now if you can find a .327 Federal Magnum revolver that would be ok but these two above don't have much kick, are very light, and a simple manual of arms.

If he prefers a semi-auto.... I can see the Taurus TCP 732 in .32 auto. Same size as their .380 but the .32 kicks less.

It is very easy to shoot and a real good DA pull.

Deaf
Old September 4, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
pelican

How about a used S&W Model 36 snubnose with an exposed hammer. This would give him both SA and DA. You should be able to find a good, used Model 36 on gunbroker.com, or in a local gun store for $350 and up.

A new S&W 442 retails for $450 or so, and used 442s might be less. However, the trigger might be a little difficult for your father to pull.

A new S&W Shield 9 mm, for $449 retail, would also be something very nice to consider.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:29 PM   #8

How about a Kahr CW-9. have him try the shield and Kahr see which feels best to him
Old September 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #9
K_Mac

Quote:
...he wants a small enough gun to easily conceal (pocket size), but still be able to get hits. His eyes aren't what they used to be.
I will add my $.02. Unless he is experienced with handguns, a very small "pocket gun" is not a good option in my opinion. Being able to "get hits" with a small gun is a challenge for all of us. Doing it with poor eyesight without the muscle memory of much practice is probably not going to happen IMO. I would try to sell him on something a little bigger that will require some training and practice to carry, but will improve his odds of hitting his target dramatically. My advice; worth what you paid for it.
Old September 4, 2013, 07:13 PM   #10
BigJimP

Take him to a range ...where you guys can rent some guns in .380 / 9mm ...and some revolvers in .38 spl and .357 mag.....so he has a feel for what he wants....

There are too many options ...and its too personal a decision../ but at least look at the offerings from Sig on .380's and 9mm...( single stack / on the lighter side )...
Old September 4, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
huskybiker

I'm really fond of my Shield 9. It's right on the upper edge of being a pocket gun. It does fit nicely into dress pants pockets, though.
Old September 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #12
KyJim

I have shot a number of small handguns. Some of these are: a Beretta 950 .25 acp (tiny, single action), a Ruger LCP in .380, Sig P238 and Colt Mustang .380 (variations of the same same design), Colt and Smith and Wesson snubbies of various kinds, and the Kahr CM9 (9mm).

I can attest that, as a class, small handguns are difficult to shoot even decently at anything beyond point blank range. There are some exceptions. The Sig P238 and Colt Mustang .380 are single action pistols and are the most accurate (for practical purposes) of the small pocket pistols I've shot. However, that means carrying cocked and locked or hammer down and having to cock it to arm it. The prices are north of the $400 mark.

Close behind in small pistol accuracy and shootability is the Kahr CM9. It has a longish, double action trigger which is quite smooth and allows for accurate shooting (for small handguns). There's some recoil there but, unless he has arthritis or is recoil sensitive, I would still recommend it. You can get one for right around $400. Kahr also has an upscale .380 version, the P380. It is priced closer to $600. Hopefully, they'll come out with the working man version soon.
Old September 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #13
montanaoffroader

Have him try out something with a laser on it. He may find it a bit easier to score hits with a laser vs. open sights, especially the tiny ones found on some of the smaller pistols.
Old September 5, 2013, 06:50 AM   #14
TimSr

Quote:
Take him to a range ...where you guys can rent some guns
Excellent advice!

If he is having trouble "getting hits", doesn't want to develop the skills, and can handle the recoil, you might look at one of the selections that fires .410 shells.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Renting gun is a good idea.

I don't know how enthusiastic of a shooter your padre is, so also consider how much time and energy he's going to be willing to put in on a daily basis with gun handling, and the consequences. Are there grandkids at his house every day? If so, is he going to want to load and unload the pistol every day? If that's the case, then semis may present a variety of problems that revolvers do not (bullet setback, magazine springs, etc.). I'd look hard at the snubnose revolvers. There are a variety of .38 snubs that would be suitable for the task (LCR, S&W J-frames, etc.). There are also some reduced recoil .38 loads that would help in that department. Snubs probably aren't the easiest things to learn to shoot well, but they're not all that hard, either.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:55 PM   #16
M1ke10191

He's a "go to the range once a month and shoot 50 rounds" kinda guy. I think what some people have mentioned is a good point, you can have ultra compactness or a decent shooter, but not really both.

In the end, this would still be a range gun for him primarily. He'd get discouraged if he couldn't be on paper with it, which would probably lead to him not carrying it.

For the person who suggested a CW9, I actually just picked one up a few days ago (still waiting for the amendment to process), so I'll see how he likes that. I'm using that as my first carry gun myself and I've head good things, although I wish it was more pocket friendly. NBD I guess, IWB is fine.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:52 AM   #17
Obambulate

For an older person, a Ruger LCR in .22 long rifle, .22 magnum, or .38 Special would be a good choice. Simple, rugged, reasonably priced, good triggers, light recoil, good accuracy.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:23 AM   #18
rotten mick

Gotta agree a small pocket gun probably isn't the best idea.
1) they have a snappy kick which tends to being inaccurate and also a desire not to practice with them.
2) short barrels are less accurate even in .22lr than a 4" or more.
Its hard to buy a gun for someone else. Best gift card or take him to the store because the fact its a gift you picked he may not want to tell you his true feeling on the one you picked and thus not carry and not let you know. Thats what dads do.......
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:03 PM   #19
M1ke10191

Re: Which carry gun for the padre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten mick View Post
Gotta agree a small pocket gun probably isn't the best idea.
1) they have a snappy kick which tends to being inaccurate and also a desire not to practice with them.
2) short barrels are less accurate even in .22lr than a 4" or more.
Its hard to buy a gun for someone else. Best gift card or take him to the store because the fact its a gift you picked he may not want to tell you his true feeling on the one you picked and thus not carry and not let you know. Thats what dads do.......
Yeah it would only be a gift card when the time came. I don't think it's legal here for me to buy someone else a handgun. Maybe a long gun...never tried it. And you're right, let him make the actual decision.