The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

And I don't mean supply.

Is there a bullet (or bullets) that people would buy and use in reasonable quantities, that is not being made?
Old February 28, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
BoogieMan

I am newb to this. It seems to me that there are little to no holes in the sizes from .17 to .500. Every few thousandths there is another caliber. What could be added? A .42 or .43.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't mean a different size, which would also require whole new guns and cartridges, I mean .224, .243 bullets or .308 bullets, .375, something that exists but a particular bullet isn't there.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Quadpod88

If you can't find a round to fit your situation and preferences, you just ain't trying. Man is still looking for that perfect round. Truth be told, it will never exist. But what we have is an insanely vast assortment of ammo types. Some widely known and loved, some not so much. So, an unmet need i'd say no. But i wouldn't be apposed to a new and fresh round for the sake of shooting for fun.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
CS86

You mean like a jacketed ballistic tip .22 long rifle bullet. Correct? Just an example. Not saying there is a need for it.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Quadpod88

Quote:
You mean like a jacketed ballistic tip .22 long rifle bullet. Correct?

What are you going to shoot? A squirrel wearing body armor? Not trying to be snide, but that kinda raises an eyebrow.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

How about a 9x19 AP round?
Or a 45ACP incendiary? (Cook the bad guy from the inside out)
Old February 28, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not talking about new CARTRIDGES.

I'm talking about a BULLET in an existing caliber that handloaders would buy to load existing cartridges, that does not currently exist or exists in numbers smaller than the pre-hype and post-hype demand.

Not 22LR. You can't reasonably load your own 22LR.

Not silly ideas that are fun and nobody would buy.

Something like a 150gr frangible .338 bullet or a 115gr BT VLD .243 bullet or a 50gr frangible .243 bullet....
Old February 28, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
huntinaz

I have a friend that wants an ultra-lite .338 ballistic tip or frangible bullet to load in his new .338 Lapua. Something like 150gr. The purpose would be to see how much vaporization one could get from a coyote.

Heat seeking if possible
Old February 28, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Quadpod88

I'm not necessarily saying new cartridges either. For the most part, if you can think it, you find it. Or you could just simply load it.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #11
hammie

A full metal jacket in diameters other than .224 or .308. Barnes makes some, but they're solid copper and long for the weight.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Or you could just simply load it
You can't LOAD a bullet that doesn't EXIST. That's the question.

Quote:
A full metal jacket in diameters other than .224 or .308. Barnes makes some, but they're solid copper and long for the weight.
I assume that you mean a solid, guilded metal bullet? There are tons of "full metal jacket" bullets in virtually every caliber. "Full Metal Jacket" just means no exposed lead, it doesn't mean homogeneous, solid metal.

Quote:
I have a friend that wants an ultra-lite .338 ballistic tip or frangible bullet to load in his new .338 Lapua. Something like 150gr. The purpose would be to see how much vaporization one could get from a coyote.
THAT is the information I want. Something people WANT that doesn't EXIST or at least not in sufficient, pre-panic quantities.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:20 PM   #13
huntinaz

What about a VLD type bonded bullet? Something with a very high BC that holds together rather than acting like a ballistic tip. In calibers .243 and up?

**Barnes LRX may fit this role, I don't know the BC on those and I'm at work so the site is blocked.

Last edited by huntinaz; February 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Fire_Moose

Re: Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

I want a mercury core HP in 9mm.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:31 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
THAT is the information I want. Something people WANT that doesn't EXIST or at least not in sufficient, pre-panic quantities.
I still think a 9 or 40 AP bullet would sell, as folks either prepare for home invasions with BGs wearing armor, or the scenarios we can't talk about on this forum occur
Old February 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #16
hammie

@Brian Pflueger: Yes, I mean a copper jacketed lead rifle bullet with no exposed lead. Hornady used to make an 80 grain FMJ in .243, but that is now discontinued. It seems to me that if I want an FMJ in .243, .257, .264, or .284, my options are pretty limited. At least I am not aware of any such offerings from hornady, speer, nosler, or sierra. Perhaps, I'm wrong. I don't always keep up with the latest gear.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Quadpod88

What you are asking for does exist. Most every cartridge(especially .338 lapua) you can find a large variety of rounds for reloading. After that it is just a matter of availability and price. It comes down to what kind of load out you want, after that all you need to do is shop around.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #18
huntinaz

Quote:
@Brian Pflueger: Yes, I mean a copper jacketed lead rifle bullet with no exposed lead. Hornady used to make an 80 grain FMJ in .243, but that is now discontinued. It seems to me that if I want an FMJ in .243, .257, .264, or .284, my options are pretty limited. At least I am not aware of any such offerings from hornady, speer, or sierra. Perhaps, I'm wrong. I don't always keep up with the latest gear.
I have a partial box of .243" 90gr Sierra FMJ. Are those discontinued as well?

Quote:
What you are asking for does exist. Most every cartridge(especially .338 lapua) you can find a large variety of rounds for reloading. After that it is just a matter of availability and price. It comes down to what kind of load out you want, after that all you need to do is shop around.
He's asking for something that DOES NOT EXIST YET. Any ideas?
Old February 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #19
hammie

@huntinaz: You're right. Sierra still lists the 90 grain FMJ. Well that's one.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Quadpod88

165 gr hand lathed, bronze cased .30-06, other than that i got nothing. I can even find jacketed ballitic tip .22lr(search V-MAX).
Old February 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #21
hoistfixer

Frangible Bullets

Why not create more (different caliber) frangible style bullets that can be used for target practice that will keep the environmental kooks off shooters backs (less lead) and still shoot with similiar ballasts.

Current frangible bullets are made of compressed copper and polyester, when they strike a solid target (object) they disintegrate to dust.

Just a thought
Old February 28, 2013, 12:51 PM   #22
mikld

I understand your question and in my limited experience, at this time in history, just about everything is or has been covered. The only thing I could think of would be some radical weights per caliber, ie.; a 150 grain .45 cal rifle bullet or a 125 gr. .22 cal bullet. Mebbe some exotic bullet materials? Tungston? or Hybrid bullet compositions? Bronze jacketed tungston, jacketed zinc? Or mebbe custom purpose bullets? solid copper .17 cal squill bullets, or 500 gr. tungston expanding bullets for buffalo?. Sorry I can't be of more help...
Old February 28, 2013, 01:15 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What about a VLD type bonded bullet? Something with a very high BC that holds together rather than acting like a ballistic tip. In calibers .243 and up?
Hm... Bonded core VLD hunting bullets... I'll have to check on that...

The LRX is just a long TSX. It's still monolithic.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:21 PM   #24
huntinaz

Quote:
The LRX is just a long TSX. It's still monolithic.
Yeah, but has a pretty high BC and is not a ballistic tip, so does a similar job as a bonded bullet would. Adding lead may be cheaper...?

Scirrocco may have already maxed out the BC on a bonded bullet, I don't know. That's for the eggheads to figure out
Old February 28, 2013, 01:22 PM   #25
wogpotter

174~180 Gr Flat Base .312" either FMJ, or spitzer softpoint/hollowpoint.

This is what Lee-Enfield shooters have been begging for for years. Massive sales? probably not, but enough to make it worthwhile oh heck yes! For some unknown reason FB .311/.312" are limited to either 150gr spitzers, or 180 Gr round nose SP. Theres nothing replicating the function & ballistics of a Mk VII ball round that will behave, particularly in 2-groove bores, many of which don't work well with BT bullets.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; February 28, 2013 at 01:29 PM.