The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
highpower3006

A Couple of Orphans That Followed Me Home

I was at a friends house the other day and he was showing me guns that he had picked up in a rather complex deal with another fellow. Out of the clutter, he picked up this pair of C96 Mauser Bolos and offered them to me.

Being the sucker that I am for neglected and abused guns, I took pity on them and brought them home. Now the question is, what do I do with them? My friend is very familiar with guns that come out of China from the pre-WWII days. He theorizes that the Chinese had only one cleaning rod in the entire country and no one knew how to use it.

These two fine examples show the care and attention that they were shown during their tenure in China. One has 100% of the original rust bluing completely missing along with a couple of small parts. The other is nearly as well cared for, with 99% of the finish missing, but otherwise complete. Both have absolutely no bores to speak of and I am nearly positive that you would have trouble hitting the ground with either one.

Since I know that pictures are expected, here they are in all their glory:

Oddly enough, they somehow managed to keep their original grips, probably as a result as there not being anyone in possession of a screwdriver to remove them.

I'm not real sure just what I am going to do with them yet. So far I am leaning towards having one of them relined back to 7.63X25 and shooting it just for the heck of it.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Ozzieman

I have had a desire for a C96 since I saw Clint Eastwood shoot one in the movie Joe Kid, shooting the bad guys at over 400 yards with a stocked 96. The recoil looked like he was shooting 500 S&W out of a Glock 19.
I’ve fired one but never owned one. Yours looks rough but if they are capable of being fired I wouldn’t care if they couldn’t hit the ground. I’d shoot them.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much do you have in them?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
highpower3006

As of this moment, about $100, but of course, I'm not done spending money on them yet.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Posted in the wrong forum.

Please read this again: http://thefiringline.com/forums/anno...t.php?f=1&a=97

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread