The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2012, 04:45 AM   #1
youngunz4life

forced to ditch/dispose of one firearm, which one?

We hear about special firearms on TFL, and I guess at least some can make a case that every firearm they have owned or do own is special, but which firearm would you get rid of and why if you had no choice & had to choose one?

the scenario is you have to choose one of your firearms to get rid of....spouse demands it...you need money....you want a loved one to have one at his/her residence but he/she won't buy one, the government has decided this is a good idea to minimize weapons...choose whatever reason floats your boat for this fictional scenario to decide which of your firearms is on the bottom of your list.

Who is low man on the totem pole in the family and why? Or is this a tough good-bye?
Old October 31, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
kraigwy

None, zero, never again.

I've traded or sold firearms in the past, never again. I have never got rid of a firearm, for any reason, that I did not regret.

I have too many grandkids I can sell into the child slave trade before I sell or trade any guns.

Worse case senario is.........I could get a job, but I doubt that happens either.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 31, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
berettaprofessor

I rarely get rid of a firearm, but I'm toying right now with trading off a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. I'd probably replace it with a 9mm AR upper, but I can't remember why I bought the Camp 9 now.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Sparks1957

Quote:
...spouse demands it...
Ha! Right! It'll be a cold day in Hades when she has that kind of power over me.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
8t6gt

I actually just got rid of a 17HMR and thats the only one ive never felt guilty about giving up. It was useless to me.

I also got rid of a wore out early 80s ish Charles Daly semi auto and I regret that too and never thought I would, the other and biggest regret is my AR15.

Those are the only guns ive ever got rid of, and never again will I do it again. Like I said I would get rid of the 17HMR again but thats the only thing.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
BarryLee

I let a lot of nice guns go when I was younger and have really regretted it, so I would really hesitate to let one go now. However, if it were absolutely necessary it would probably be my GLOCK G20 in 10mm.

The logic is pretty simple. This is not one of my primary shooters and it is still being manufactured, so it could be easily replaced.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 31, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Robk

If I had too let one or two go, it would be the FNX-9 first and the plain jane P220 next. The FN is newish to me and I have shot it little so far. Not much of a personal attachment as of yet. Besides, perfer the P6 for 9mm shooting. And as for the P220, well, I can always find one of those. Pehaps even a better or rare model instead of my plain jane version. Other than those 2, I find myself saying no way! But one must never say never. This hobby has lots of twists and turns and you can go in another direct for your collection just like that.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:15 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
...spouse demands it...

Ha! Right! It'll be a cold day in Hades when she has that kind of power over me
In my own personal Hell, it is perpetually 33 degrees, muddy and raining.

But I have a Bubbafied 1892 Comission Rifle that I rehabilitated*...... very cool wood stock ..... that I am thinking seriously about getting rid of ..... I don't use it for much, and I need the room in the safe. As a collectable, it's worthless. It took $275 to fix the headspace and recrown the barrel and put sights on it. If I could get that much for it, it'd be gone today.

*One of the Ballistic Illiterati thought cutting the barrel down to 18 1/2" would make this a fine "mountain rifle".....

Last edited by jimbob86; October 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Hal

He's makin a list
Checkin it twice.
Has to find out what's worth more
And right.....

La, la la la la laaa la laa!

Just kidding - I am actually culling out what I no loger have any use for.

When it's all said and done - the guns are just more crap I've accumulated over the years.

There's a few that have some special meaning to me, but, there's a lot more that were just something I wanted to buy/own at the time & the time has passed.

Probably at the top of the list right now - as far as the most "disposable" would be the Rossi coach gun.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
pgdion

While the obvious answer is none (I follow cheapshooters rule) if I stick within the rules and also ignore the obvious of picking one of the .22's (they are low hanging fruit as there are so many of them, especially the 6" NEOS since I have 2 NEOS and i like the 4.5" one better) then the question is a challenging one.

I'd have to pick the KP345. It's not that I don't like it, I do ... I like it a lot. And even though it's my only .45auto, I still like all of the 9mm's so much better. Even with 4 9's the .45 has to go as I really like each one of the 9mm a lot and I'm just fond of the .45.

The pecking order is quite simply:
92FS (way out in front of the rest)
CZ75 Compact
S&W 5906
Cougar 8000F (tied with the 5906)
Ruger KP345

Oh yea, and the Bersa Thunder .380 - It would be a tough call between the Bersa (my only small carry gun) and the Ruger (my only .45)
Old October 31, 2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Crow Hunter

If it is something that I never use and can't remember that I even own it, I usually sell it.

Yes, I have pulled a gun out of the safe before and said: "When did I buy this? Oh, yeah...."

There are only 2 guns that I have ever gotten rid of that I wish I had kept. A convertible Blackhawk in .357/9mm and a Browning HP Mk III. I don't know why I miss them, I never shot them much, but they were fun to shoot.

Everything else that I have gotten rid of, I have never really missed. That includes:

Beretta 92F
Beretta 92F Inox
Taurus PT92
HK USP 40
Sig P229
Sig P228
Sig P220
Sig P232
Glock 21 X 3
Glock 19C
Glock 30
Glock 22
Glock 34
Glock 33
Walther PPK
Walther P5
S&W 640
S&W 686 Plus
S&W 617
S&W 409
S&W 629
S&W 686 Power port
Springfield Armory 1911
Springfield Armory M1A
Bushmaster M4geries X 4
Bushmaster 20" rifle
Bushmaster M17 (yes, I had one of those pieces of crap)
Mossberg 590
Mossberg 835
Mossberg 500 x 2
Benelli Nova
Browning Abolt .30-06
Browning Abolt .223
Browning Abolt Varmint .223
Browning Abolt .308
Browning Gold Stalker 3.5"
NEF Superlight Youth .243 (With many spare barrels)
Savage 110 .308
Remington 700P LTR .308
Remington 700P DM .300 Win Mag
Ruger 10/22 Stainless
Ruger 10/22 blued
Ruger 10/22 HB
Ruger Mk II w/4" Heavy bbl
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Black Hawk .44 mag
Ruger Stainless Vaqueros .45 ACP/45 Colt Convertible X2
Winchester 9422 with a 16" bbl
Mini Uzi Carbine
Colt Cowboy

And I am still thinking about getting rid of my Marlin 39a and maybe even a Marlin 336 that I haven't even fired a box of ammo through...

There may have been a few more but I don't really remember....

It is a good thing that I don't feel regret, or I would need to be in an institution.

Good luck.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
psyfly

Absolutely must give up one?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to say:

"Thank goodness I have my Jennings .22."

Will
Old October 31, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
wayneinFL

Jennings? That reminds me.

I have a Phoenix Arms 22LR. Not crazy about it. Got it really cheap, and it's kinda neat having the two barrels for it, but still can't get excited about it.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:16 PM   #14
MLeake

Whatever gun I haven't shot much lately, unless it has some other value.

(Example: I have a Colt 1917 that was carried by one of Merrill's Marauders; that one stays, even if I rarely shoot it.)

Generally speaking, I don't get excessively attached to objects. This includes guns, cars, trucks, motorcycles. They are things.

I've recently sold a bunch of guns, to finance other things, such as barn improvements. May sell more in months to come, baby is on the way.

Odds are I will not sell the Model 18 I learned to shoot handguns with, my modified Les Baer UTC, my Hunter Customs Commander, my Model 13-3 3", my Transitional Model 629 6", my Savage 99 .300, or my CMP Correct Grade M-1. Other guns in the safe are all potential sacrifical lambs.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:17 PM   #15
X_shooter

If I had to thin the heard by one it would be a broken down bolt action 20 gauge with screws holding the stock together. If I needed money then it would be a buffalo bill commemorative lever new in the original box.

As a rule in never get rid of...I only accumulate.(now)
Old October 31, 2012, 05:54 PM   #16
2damnold4this

I have a single shot 12 gauge that was made in China and purchased for $40 that would be the first of mine to go.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:45 PM   #17
chris in va

I've already whittled my collection down to the core basics, so probably none of them.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:20 PM   #18
paknheat

I ain't giving up nothing. Im still stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse. 3 of them showed up tonight at my front door.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Sport45

Quote:
the scenario is you have to choose one of your firearms to get rid of....spouse demands it...
Easy. The Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8.

It came from her side of the family...
Old November 1, 2012, 05:55 AM   #20
kozak6

Easy. Junker grade Mosin Nagant M91/30.

It would even save me effort on refinishing it.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:23 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

Getting rid of them simply is not going to happen. If I had to let someone borrow one, my S&W 637 Airweight would be my offering.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:27 AM   #22
Patriot86

I already had to make this choice, I chose my 1911. I love the gun but it is worth the most out of the two guns I would easily sell. Thankfully my property taxes were at the time lower than I expected so I had some extra cash; I was able to keep the gun (thankfully).

Thats the good thing about firearms ownership; most higher quality guns lose some value off the bad being used but then keep that slightly lesser value as long as they are well taken care of.

Last edited by Patriot86; November 1, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:52 AM   #23
cecILL

Forehand & Wadsworth .38 S&W.
Anyone wanna trade?
Old November 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #24
Stressfire

Quote:
I already had to make this choice
Me as well, the car needed a new clutch - so my Bersa Thunder 45 had to find a new home.

Factors in play: Was a bit to fat for carry, hard to find a comfortable holster that would fit the gun, expensive to shoot, and it was the one that grew on me the least.

Not really any regrets - it now resides with a fellow Bersa fan who will take good care of it and can enjoy it

Just hope I don't need money again - I really like the ones I have left
Old November 1, 2012, 02:47 PM   #25
Mr. James

A Springfield Armory full-size XD45. Nothing at all wrong with the pistol, but it was an impulse purchase and it seldom sees use. I already owned a USP 45, so a second full-size polymer frame pistol in .45 is a tad redundant. In reality, my son will probably get it.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Tags
firearms , revolvers , rifles , semi-auto hand guns , shotguns