The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 27, 2012, 12:24 PM   #26
mnhntr

I hunted snipe in Fl for years. I went to ND to duck hunt and the woman I bought my license from on the phone assured me I had all the licesnes I needed for migratory birds. I shot a snipe while duck hunting and when we returned to the truck the warden was waiting to check us. When i showed him the snipe he says he needs to take the bird due to me not having a small game license and I would have to pay 25 dollars for the license. I explained the game and fish lady on the phone sold me ALL the necessary licenes and he said it was no big deal. The next day he showed up at our camp and gave me a 1000 dollar fine and told me it could be worse because the type of snipe I shot was a protected bird. He then said he had to look it up in a guide to identify it but there is a couple of feathers that are different for the common snipe and it cannot be seen in flight. I asked how a guy is supposed to tell when hunting and he says "nobody really hunts them here" even though there is a season. I asked a lot of questions to which I got no real answers. DO NOT SHOOT SNIPE IN ND is the moral of the story.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:12 PM   #27
dwright1951

Years ago my dad was quail hunting, parked the truck on a dirt road just off a main paved road crossed the fence onto land that he had permission to hunt on and walked a few feet and started to load his shotgun when a game warden came rollin up and hollared at him to come here. Dad went to him and asked what the problem was the warden said that he had a loaded gun too close to a road. He wrote him a ticket and was on his way. Dad paid the ticket but was talking to the county sheriff (a hunting buddy) and told him the story. Well the sheriff who was sort slow to anger got real ****** off and told my dad that the warden was a new warden and was making questionable calls on lots of his tickets and that he would take care of it. A few weeks later he got a letter in the mail from the game & fish comission with a check saying that they were sorry for the miss understanding and assured him that he had broken no law and that the warden was being retrained so that he would not make the same misteak again. The people who work in LE, weather they are police, game wardens, etc. don't always get it right.