The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Beagle333

Just some pictures. . .

Today, while waiting for it to get warm enough outside to pour concrete, I turned my attention to the brass on the old 1860.
This is what it looked like before:

And after some brasso:

It cleaned up pretty well. But the point wasn't to show that brass shines up when polished. The improvement was the triggerguard. I was pretty happy with it until I got my Colt last week and noticed that the edges of the brass were blended into the frame, whereas the Pietta had sharp edges on the triggerguard. So while I had it disassembled during polishing, I also slightly blended the edge.

Piettawith just 17 years of wear:

Colt:

Pietta after sanding:

It could use even more, but I want to take it gradually and will just hit it with the 800# whenever I take it off for a good cleaning, until it looks exactly like the Colt.

(and after looking at the pictures posted: No, I didn't use the steel file in the picture, it just happened to be on the bench. I used 240#, then 400#, 600#, 800# and then Brasso.)

Last edited by Beagle333; February 9, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Beagle333

And, as long as the triggerguard was off, I installed a new bolt/trigger spring. The old one was rusty and this is supposed to be one of the low power ones that won't peen up the cylinder as much.

But in looking at the two, the only noticeable difference is that the new one is flat on the trigger side.

And after installation, I really can't tell any difference. I still had to back off the screw a little over a half turn to get it to sound like it engaged solidly, but didn't "slap" the cylinder. I guess it is a lower power spring, but only time will tell.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Smokin'Joe

Just use a safety pin:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467782

Last edited by Smokin'Joe; February 9, 2012 at 02:34 PM.