The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 16, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1
WE0H

Iver Johnson Model 1900 38 cal question

So I was in a store today and seen a blued Iver Johnson 38 cal Model 1900. It looked like about a 4" barrel, solid and perfect cylinder lockup. I'd say it was shot very little. Darn near perfect finish turning brown. Not pitted, action felt and functioned perfect. This is not a top break frame, but is a solid frame. What is a rough guess that such a revolver would be worth? It has the upright owl logo not the forward facing owl like the early versions. I guess this gun is a third generation if I am saying that right. I just want to know if I should go back and buy that revolver. I got side tracked when the fellow said he had a H&R 649 22 revolver under the counter. I ended up buying that 649 and didn't have enough cash to buy that IJ 38 so I left with one nice revolver today

Many thanks,
Mike
Old November 16, 2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

a quick look over at Gun Broker doesn't turn up any 38's, but pretty nice 22's ( a couple ) are between $250 - $300 but have no bids... I'd guess about $200.00 is top dollar I'd pay... maybe $25 more if it's really pristine ???
Old November 16, 2010, 07:52 AM   #3
gyvel

At $200.00 it would overpriced. About $125.00 is an average price, but not a great deal by any means.
Old November 16, 2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

but thought I should add ( as GYVEL ) pointed out... I've bought most of mine ( at what I thought were good deals ) at around $100 - $125... but then I prefer Hopkins & Allen solid frame guns, that have a loading gate... I do have a couple open gate solid frames, but I'm not partial to the looks, to me it seems like something is missing...
Old November 16, 2010, 08:49 AM   #5
WE0H

So about $200 for a near flawless super tight action no rust, no chips, no pits Model 1900? This gun was about as new as it could get minus the box, it was dang nice. Upright owl grips too Without knowing the chamber count, it could have been a 38 or a 32. I forgot to count the chambers The cylinder was easily over an inch long but I now understand all of them in that solid frame were for Iver Johnson's.

Thanks,
Mike ..
Old November 16, 2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

to me, the 38 would be worth more than the 32... BTW... if it's a 32, it's probably chambered for 32 long, but double check that it's not rim fire ( pretty easy to tell by looking at the hammer ( striker area ) or cylinder on alot of guns of this era... again, to me the rim fires are worth much less than the centerfires, as they are much less shootable
Old November 16, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

so does it look like this one ???

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=200296514
Old November 16, 2010, 09:22 AM   #8
WE0H

Yes it looks like that one in the picture but it is very blue still. Nice heavy looking frame compared to the break tops you and I collect.

Mike