The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 22, 2010, 02:12 AM   #1
wnycollector

Scope choices for my Ishapore Enfield

I recently picked up an S&K scope mount for my Ishy enfield in .308. I'm waffling about what scope to mount on it. The rifle's main task will be punching paper out to 300 yards. I'm thinking of the following scopes:

- Mueller Hybrid 3-9x40
- Redfield Revolution 3-9x40
- Sightron si 3-9x40

I'm sure there are some opinions on these choices out there...lets hear them. Also, what other scopes have I overlooked in the $100-150 range?
Old September 22, 2010, 02:19 AM   #2
lefteyedom

Any of them would do...

But I would not scope the rifle at all unless I was going to make a clone sniper verse of the Enfield that Holland and Holland built.

Of course I am prone to putting a $100 saddle on a $5 mule.
Old September 22, 2010, 04:56 AM   #3
wnycollector

Quote:
But I would not scope the rifle at all
A scope on a rifle of this type is not my first choice either...but then again my eyes are no longer 20yo anymore. The scope allows me to shoot a rifle I love out to 300 yards and actually see the target! Gettin old ain't for sissies
Old September 22, 2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Bird Dog

The Mueller or Sightron.
Old September 22, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
zombieslayer

In that price range, there are plenty of decent scopes to choose from. What I'd do is go down to the local pawn and gun store and look around. They have a section with just used scopes.

Glad to see someone else has one of these. I have a 2A and I think they're sweet. I just took mine in to Peterson's to have the Laquer stripped off and I'm going to have it blued or parkerized. Maybe duracoated. The gunsmith gave me a bit of a hard time about spending money on an indian gun. I only paid $180 for it. Oh well, last gunshow io went to had some beat-upo ones for $355 each!!

How long have you had yours? Good luck with the scope and all.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:10 AM   #6
wogpotter

FWIW i had a 3~9X40 on a #4 Enfield it seemed "bulky & klutzy" to me so I went down to a 2~8X32 & it was MUCH more suitable & I frankly never noticed the loss of the 1X in magnification.
Check out the Leupold, Burris & Nikon Monarch in the slightly lower power/smaller glass & see what you think.

3~9X40 Burris FF2

2~8x32 Nikon.

for size comparison a classic the Weaver K-4 scope.

I know it doesnt look like a huge difference, but handling, balance & overall "feel" were much close to the 4X Weaver with the 2~8 than with the 3~9 even though both are good scopes I'd go with the smaller versions every time now I've done a side-by-side comparison.
Old September 22, 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
lefteyedom

Nice little package there sir
Old September 22, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8
wnycollector

wogpotter, thanks for the pics. They have made me reconsider my scope choice. The smaller objective is much more proportional.

Quote:
How long have you had yours?
I have had it for a few years. It is a great shooter. When I picked it up the barrel was pristine, but YUCK all that ugly black paint! I read on one of the other boards that under the tar they painted on, there is nice parkerizing. One day I need to find it.

Last edited by wnycollector; September 22, 2010 at 09:48 PM.