The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
yerffej60

S&W model 66-3

Hello,

I have a S&W model 66-3, 357 mag that my grandfather gave me. Its like new, has a 2 1/2 inch barrel red ramp front sights, adjustable rear sights, with no white outline, round butt. The code on the bottom of the butt is BFP5979. It has numbers on the right side of the frame bottom 79415, and on the bottom right side 782 D or 0 then a space and 637. It came with wooden target grips and wood finger combat grips.

You have posted alot of replies and I hope you can tell me what you know about this. I also have the paperwork, the manual says combat magnum model 66, and there is a plastic bag with cleaning tools and a screwdriver in it. My grandfather died 5 years ago, so I really need to know about this and all I can. I am active duty USAF and stationed overseas, so its hard for me to find out anything.

He also has about 50 boxes for s&w pistols, can you tell me what would be on the end of the correct one. About 30 of them say 66-1 in the model section.

I would appreciate any info I could get,

Thanks,

jeff
Old June 2, 2010, 02:54 AM   #2
bamaranger

well

BFPXXXX is the serial number. The correct box would have M66-3 and that serial number, and also I believe the bbl length. Big question, where'd the other 6o or so pistols go?????

The M66 2.5" was a VERY popular revolver in its day. In the areas where I was, they were near unobtainable w/o a wait, and commanded top price.
Wish I had one. They were pretty std as an off duty gun to officers carrying 4" M66 square butts, who wanted more gun than a 5 shot .38 snubby M60 or 36.

I thought a white outline rear was std, so the plain rear blade may have been a special order. It would also be an easy after sale switch so I'm not really sure.
Seems like I recall working w/ a guy who ordered a new 66 2-1/2 and spec'd a plain rear blade.

You'll no doubt hear from others w/ more detail. Congrats on a great heirloom from your Grandad.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:15 AM   #3
540mope

your 66-3 is a very desirable revolver. you have any pics to share?

those boxes are wanted by collectors. you can post them for sale, and get more info on your 66 at...
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
Old June 2, 2010, 07:13 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

The 66-3 is a very desirable model in 2.5", with the box and papers your looking at $700+ in stated condition. The box for it well have the serial number on the end. Those extra boxes are worth a bit of money as they sell very well on evil bay, $20-$50 or more each.

Thanks for serving, stay safe.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:03 PM   #5
pogo2

Good gun

The short barrel model 66 is one of the best revolvers S&W made, in my opinion. The trigger is almost perfect, and the gun is heavy enough to handle magnums easily, yet small enough to conceal easily. It is also a very good looking gun. I have three of them, of which one is the model 66-3.

Old June 3, 2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Jermz1987

66-3

Like yourself I have a 66-3. When I started working as a dispatcher I got more exposed to firearms. When I decided I wanted one I asked the officers if they had anything for sale. The Chief at my department said he had an old revolver that had been sitting in his office for 20 years. He also said that it had only been fired a couple of times. I had no idea about firearms and offered him 250 for it. He gladly agreed and that's how I got mine. Ive only had it for a year now and it is so much fun to shoot. I'm not sure what I could get for it today, But I hear they are considered a classic.

Old June 3, 2010, 07:03 AM   #7
GUNKWAZY

A sure winner with the revolver people is the 66 snub nosed 357.
Like everyone else that's posted, I loved my first one enough to purchase a few. Even my wife picked one up and liked how it looked and felt in her hands and now she has one too.
Great gun all around. It's no longer made and it sure is a classic in my eyes.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
He had good taste, that's for sure.
If you're going to shoot it, the choice of grips is endless.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Old June 3, 2010, 03:51 PM   #8
yerffej60

66-3

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have an idea what info is going to be on the correct box for this, on the end label? my email is [email protected] if you want to reply directly to me there>

Thanks again,
jeff
Old June 3, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
yerffej60

66-3

I have a box that it came in but the label on the end is blank. Can anyone tell me what goes in the following spaces. 1. model no. 2. fin 3. barrel 4. stock 5. th 6.tt 7. ins 8.pkr 9.special features 10.ser. no. 11.front sight 12 wo.

I have other boxes (about 50 to 60) that have info filled in on them but none of them have my serial number filled in but the model number and barrel and finish are correct for my pistol, there is just none with my serial number. Would they have left that blank??

I would appriciate any help, does anyone know when this pistol was made?

Thanks again,
jeff
Old June 3, 2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

Here's what my Model 66-3 label says.

In the upper left hand corner is: 341.
First line down from that has:
Model number: 66
Caliber: .357
Barrel: 2 1/2
Fin: S (that's Finish: Stainless).
Stock: RB (that's Round butt).
Features: RR (That's Red Ramp. A white outline rear would have RR WO).

Next line down is:
Serial Number
Product Code: 102702
Spec Ord: 0164 (I think this has something to do with when it was made.

At the bottom of the label is a long bar code with a long series of letters and numbers, the first being the serial number the second series the product code, the last the Spec Code.

There would also be an orange sticker on the label with some kind of stock control code hand written on it.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:31 PM   #11
yerffej60

66-3

THANKS FOR THE INFO. MY BOX IS THE OLDER BLUE ONE THAT HAS A LID, THERE IS NOT BAR CODE OR ANYTHING. THERE IS NO SPACE FOR WHAT CALIBER IT IS. THE ONLY BOXES THAT ARE LEFT OPEN IS 5TH ONE OVER ON THE TOP LINE THAT SAYS TH, AND THE 6TH LINE OVER THAT SAYS TT. THE SECOND LINE BOX 7 SAYS INS, IS BLANK AS IS BOX 8 THAT SAYS PKR. I THINK THOSE MEAN INSPECTOR NUMBER AND PACKER NUMBER???? BOX 9 ON THE SCOND LINE SAYS SPECIAL FEATURES AND IS BLANK. THE FRONT SIGHT BOX 11 SAYS RR AND THE LAST BOX THAT SAYS WO IS BLANK, THING THAT ONE MEANS WHITE OUTLINE??

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE BLANK BOXES MEAN, OR ABOUT WHEN MY GUN WAS MADE. THE SERIAL NUMBER IS IN MY FIRST POST.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, GIVES ME SOMETHING TO DO INSTEAD OF PLAYING IN THE SANDBOX HERE!

jeff
Old June 3, 2010, 07:49 PM   #12
yerffej60

66-3

I think he bought it in the late 1980's maybe 86 to 89. I cant remember exactly though, I just remember him saying this is yours someday, but dont get any ideas untill then

jeff
Old June 4, 2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

TT and TH mean Target Hammer and Target Trigger.

A S&W target hammer spur is about 1/2" wide and longer than the standard hammer.
The Target trigger is 1/2" wide and deeply grooved.

You rarely see the large Target hammer and trigger on S&W 2 1/2" barreled guns, unless it's either a special factory order or an owner replaced them himself.
The larger hammer and trigger are out of place on a snubby revolver intended for concealment.

I have two Model 66 revolvers, one is a 66-2 and the other a 66-3.
BOTH came from the factory with the blue one piece box with the top that is just a tuck-in flap.
I suspect your box did not ship with that gun. In other words, it's not original to the gun, being an earlier type box, and not having the correct label.