The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
scoobydoo6906

o/u shotguns under $2000

I am looking to get a O/U shotgun for mainly upland bird hunting. I know absolutely nothing about O/U shot guns so I am looking for a little advice. I am looking at the Ruger red label any thoughts? I don't want anything fancy, and I would not even mind a synthetic stock (I know some people are cringing at the synthetic stock) I view guns as tools not pretty play things so I am looking for a good value and no pretty fluff. what barrel lengths should I be considering? about the only thing I really about shotguns is how to shoot clays and clean and maintain them.
Old October 2, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Chipperman

$2k is plenty to buy a nice O/U, especially if you open the idea of buying used.

I'd say the best thing to do first is shoulder a bunch of different brands to find the one that fits you best. The Ruger is a fine gun, but you may find that it does not fit you as well as another brand. I almost bought a Ruger, but decided to try out some others before buying it. I found a nice Browning Citori that fit me really well, so I bought it. It was used and I got it for $800 OTD, so I really lucked out.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Couzin

Second the Brownings - you can find new ones under the $2K budget, some nice used 425s and XSs for under that, and some good used Lightnings for about $1200 down if you look for them. Since you specifically state you want the gun for upland birds - I suggest an XS sporting (unless you don't want the porting) or a Lightning or Featherweight Lightning.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Microgunner

I'm partial to the Browning Citoris as well. A note on the Ruger Red Labels. They seem to loosen up much faster than the Citoris. Meaning their service life will be notable shorter. This is just the impression I've gotten from the ones I've examined.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Couzin

Browning Lightning, 12 ga, 28" barrel, 3" chamber, for about $1400 shipped. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=96048

AND, you will be able to leave it to your grandson in the will cuz it will never wear out.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
scoobydoo6906

are there any brands that I should avoid? how long of barrels should I be looking at? how do I tell if the shotgun fits properly? anything used that is not made anymore that I should really look at? I get how the whole choke thing so that is one thing I really don't need any help on.
Old October 2, 2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Huntergirl

I have the SKB 505 12GA O/U for upland game, and I love it. A far cry from the Citori, which I owned and never really liked, too boxy and cumbersome. My SKB has 26in barrels, which I think is great for pheasant, grouse and dove.
You really should check them out. They run around $1000 new.
Old October 2, 2008, 11:23 PM   #8
JWT

Absolutely can't go wrong with a Browning.
Old October 3, 2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Chipperman

Quote:
are there any brands that I should avoid?
Anything that costs less than $1000 new is probably junk. Mossbergs also have a very spotty reputation for breaking firing pins.
Old October 3, 2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Noonan

I love the Browning Citori.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Flyfisher

Citori

I have both the 12 ga and 20 ga Citori O/U. Wonderful, popular and reliable shotguns. I bought the 12 ga new last year for a little under $1600 with some extras that probably no one needs. You can easily pick up new or reliable used ones within your budget range.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:31 AM   #12
Couzin

Doing your homework huh?

"are there any brands that I should avoid?" You would get more opinions than folks have elbows with this question. Personally - I think some of the early Spanish built shotguns had questionable construction - the higher dollar ones and the later ones, however, seem fine.

"how long of barrels should I be looking at?" If you are doing upland field hunting - 26" or 28" will work fine (again IMHO). If you want to use it for clays as well - 28" to 30" (or more). Adds to weight and slows down barrel swing though.

"how do I tell if the shotgun fits properly?" Take a look at this from those down under.
http://www.fordwreckers.com.au/brisb...itofthegun.htm Essentially, make sure the trigger pull is comfortable and when you mount the gun (cheek to wood), you should be looking along the top of the rib toward whatever front sight is on it (or stacked if two sights). You will still need to pattern the gun to be sure of where it is throwing pellets. If you like the gun but the comb height is too low and no adjustable is available, you can buy a 'comb kit' such as this http://www.gunsolutions.com/catalog/...products_id=28 or this http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=40275.

"anything used that is not made anymore that I should really look at?" First answer probably would be - if it isn't made anymore - there probably is a reason why! If you are asking about guns no longer produced by still existing companies - then no, find a good used 'whatever' and see if it fits you and will be useful for what you want to do.
Old October 3, 2008, 01:05 PM   #13
BigJimP

Just saying a "Citori" doesn't help you much because Browning's Citori lineup contains about 30 different shotguns. I prefer Brownings' myself - but thats because they fit me better than a Beretta. In the Citori lineup one of the most versatile guns is the XS Skeet with an adjustable comb - and there are some out there used as well.

Barrel length is a personal thing - but I would not recommend less than 28" - and personally, I like a 30" O/U. Ruger isn't a bad gun - but they've had some quality issues / Beretta and Browning are a step up from Ruger in most people's opinions.

If you hang around your gun club - talk to a lot of guys / find out why they bought and why - and ask if they would buy it again. You'll get a consensus / may get the option to fire a few different guns. I think Browning is a good value - gives you a lot of gun for the money - even at $2,500.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:17 AM   #14
LouPran

Lot's of great choices ... I'll offer another seeing as how your criteria above is that you are looking for a great working TOOL , which is first and foremost the most important aspect of a good gun.

If you haven't already looked at one ... do yourself a favor and check out a CZ-USA OU Redhead ... you may have trouble getting your hands on one as they move out the door of most gun stores very quickly.

For your criteria of being under $2000 you can get 1 and $11-1200 worth of ammo ... and trust me , they're worth every penny.

Let me add ... the polished black chrome like finish of the barrel , is second to none at any price. Something CZ can get away with due to less restrictions using a process considered environmentally unfriendly here.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:14 AM   #15
oletymer

Take a good look at the Browning Cynergy. For me they just fit and feel better. After buying mine I sold my Citori.
Old October 6, 2008, 04:21 PM   #16
dakotashooter2

Here is a tip on fit. Mount the gun with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes is everything lined up the way it should be?
Old October 6, 2008, 11:01 PM   #17
scotts_4x

I really like my beretta white onyx 20ga. fits ME better than the brownings I lifted and I don't have to have a big stupid buck head sticker on my truck but seriously they are very nice guns for the money and it's really a toss up as far as the beretta/browning thing is concerned. I just happened to like the fit of the beretta better and an added bonus is I think it looks better. both guns will outlast you and probably your children aswell.

-Scott
Old October 7, 2008, 07:49 AM   #18
SPUSCG

handled a winchester select energy trap and some type of franchi, both nice and light and under 2000