The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
tranks

opinions on folding stocks and tube extensions

i want to hear about (and see pics if you care to share) your folding stocks and/or tube extensions.

i've heard some random complaints about different brands and styles but never in once place where i can come back and reread it.

i'm thinking of getting some extra parts for my 870. i would like a folding stock and a tube extension but there is so many styles. i want to buy the right one first, not 4 buys later.

i'm not really going for any one purpose, i just want to be able to swap parts around for different activities.

after some searching i found some that looked interesting for a decent price,
10 rd extension
side folding stock

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old September 19, 2008, 12:37 PM   #2
zippy13

You'll maintain your value with an OE gun. IMHO, forget about any conversions, get a new gun gun configured the way you want from the factory.

How about a Remington 5059 folder

Or the newer TACT3
Old September 19, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

tranks

I'm a little old style on scatterguns. I believe that they come from the box just about perfect for most personal protection issues. My exceptions are lights and + 1 or 2 mag extensions.

So, I will be of little help with a folding stock except to say, never on my defense guns. I'm sure that others will have plenty of information for you.

Mag extensions are great for defense guns because they allow you to store your scattergun with adequate rounds already in the gun!! It is very doughtfull that 6, 7 or 8 rounds will be necessary, but it is easy ammo storage. I show a bias to Wilson "Scattergun Tech" extensions, mag springs and followers, my long history with these products have sold me on their reliability. I have one S/T extension that has seen good use for 22 years and is still "as advertised". I did swap out springs several years ago. They are pricey, but sometimes you get what you pay for!

Presently there are any number of companies producing extensions, and you can order one directly from Remington. Be careful of "cheap" extensions, they represent the 4th most common failure in scatterguns ( bent, damaged or loose magazine.)

My advise is to forget the folding stock and get some light on your H/D scattergun.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 19, 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

As far as i know, you have only 2 options for 10 round magazines, Choate and Tac-Star.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...NE%20EXTENSION

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...NE%20EXTENSION

I've seen a lot of both, and in my opinion, the Choate is the better brand.
It comes as a complete kit including a blue/black or parkerized extension, a magazine spring, a heavy-duty magazine follower, and the all-important barrel clamp with a sling swivel assembly.
Old September 19, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
tranks

thanks for the replies, i'm more serious about a tube extension then a folding stock but that copstock folder looks pretty cool, it says it reduces recoil by 50%.

what size of tube extension would you guys suggest? i do not plan on swapping to a shorter barrel anytime soon. (i have the 28 inch barrel)

does the 10rd feed properly or does it hang up around the last rd or two?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSPCE0042.jpg (3.7 KB, 522 views)

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old September 19, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

tranks

I my humble opion, 10 rd mag extensions are for "match" guns and not for real world use. It is why I don't comment much on them. I strongly feel that anything extending past the muzzle more than a inch is suspect. 1st to damage (bending, denting) and 2nd it unduely extends the overall length of you shotgun. It is really hard not to identify your presence with a shotgun will moving thru a house, why make it worse?

I have had a Tac-star 10 rnd extension on a 1100 "match" gun and it worked OK, though the last round seemed a bit sluggish feeding on occasion.

Good Luck & Be safe
Old September 21, 2008, 12:29 AM   #7
tranks

does anyone know where i can get the shurshot stock and forearm? and how much it is?

i think i read somewhere that you could order it straight from Remington but i was looking through there part catalog and couldn't find it, then i noticed the catalog was from '06. i couldn't find a newer one. i want to say it was $65 or something.

Old September 21, 2008, 03:12 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...just want to be able to swap parts around for different activities..." Good for you.
Most folding stocks are kind of flimsy. I'm not a big fan of 'em to start with. However, Brownell's sells the Advanced Technology folder that will do. $69.99. Mind you, the most useless thing on Earth is a shotgun with no stock. Shooting with the stock folded gives you no control whatsoever. A pistol gripped stock isn't the same thing.
Mag extensions are a different thing. Mine is a Choate 2 round extension on a 20" rifle sighted barrel. Take off the mag cap and screw it on. No fuss, no bother and it's reliable.
"...where I can get..." Call 'em and ask. 1-800-243-9700
Old September 21, 2008, 08:23 PM   #9
.40S&W4me

I would have to agree about leaving the 870 stock. If you want to build something for fun try an rem 1100 or a benelli. My buddy let me shoot his 1100 the other day, it rocked. He had some modifications to that he did. He said he got his stuff at www.tacttec.com. The 870 is a great house gun.
Old September 21, 2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Gnarly

opinions on folding stocks and tube extensions

Tranks,

I tried several brands of folding stocks....wasn't impressed at all 'til I tried a buddy's Knoxx/Blackhawk SpecOps Folder- shooting Fed Tactical slugs,along with Fed Tactical 00 buck....made a believer of me.Traded my previous folding stock for some brass at a gun show; ordered a new SpecOps Folder ASAP and love it.

Only problem is,Knoxx/Blackhawk is ? moving their production back to the States? so may be back-ordered....Worth the wait, IMO.And worth the extra $$.

The only extended tubes I have were factory; can't help there.

----Gnarly
Old September 21, 2008, 11:31 PM   #11
zippy13

tranks
Quote:
does anyone know where i can get the shurshot stock and forearm?
Cabela's has them: Black and Mossy Oak Obsession. $70 - $80

Also, check out Remington's web site, they have them, too.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:57 AM   #12
Bob Hostetter

These guys do a lot of shotgun stuff, they might know where to get them.

www.tacttec.com
Old October 6, 2008, 11:26 PM   #13
tranks

i finally found the Shurshot stock online, just bought one off eBay.

-zippy13

where did you find it on remington's website? i searched all over it and never found it. (just the stock, not the whole shotgun w/ it)

so now i need to make the special tool to remove the forearm nut. anyone have any advice?

Old October 7, 2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Death from Afar

Very good post from Scattergun Bob. I agree 100% with him. If you do have a mag extension- and all my guns have them- make sure it is a quality brand, and test it extensvly for its reliability. Folding stocks i just cant see the use of unless getting in and out of vehicles is a big priority. Get a light foreend instead. Well said scattergun bob.
Old October 8, 2008, 08:19 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Time for a reality check.

Buy a shotgun.

Exercise it regularly for a while until the round count hits 4 figures. When it feels like a body part rather than a tool, you're there.

Then decide what it and you need.

Re 10 round extensions, they not only make the shotgun extremely nose heavy and hard to move, as the ammo is used the balance point moves back so the gun's "Feel" changes form shot to shot. This also happens with other repeaters but not so egregiously.

In actual use, the one and two shot extensions works out much better. Some very knowledgeable folks stick to standard capacity and are quite effective.

Learn to run the gun, and even the basic 4&1 setup is useable.

As for folders, unless you have some severe storage issues, shun them.

Universally, they are less comfortable to shoot. If they hurt you, you'll shoot less practice, and as with ALL firearms, proficiency is bought with sweat and high round counts.

Also, many of us shoot best with a shotgun altered to fit us and with a good pad installed. Wood is much easier to modify than steel or plastic.

Lest you deem me a fogey, most of the handguns here at Casa McC wear neoprene. I've owned and used a number of rifles with synthetic stocks. It's just that wood works better for my needs.

Of course, if you'd rather just look scary, bolt on whatever dreck you want and take pics of it to post on the Net.

Just don't expect to defend your life and family very well with it.
Old October 10, 2008, 08:48 PM   #16
zombie666

I'd give a thumbs up to the mag extension as long you don't go crazy. Those clunky ten rounders are too much. Any of the well known brands are usable. Folding stocks are another story. They look cool and "tactical", but all the ones I have used don't handle nearly as well as a standard stock. But that's just the opinion of one old, traditionalist.
Old October 10, 2008, 09:14 PM   #17
tranks

well i'm not going to buy a folding stock anymore. i got my shurshot stock in the mail today.

i ran into a problem though, the butt plate doesn't fit right from the factory wooden stock. does anyone know if the syn stock butt plate is different from the wood???

Old October 10, 2008, 09:42 PM   #18
tranks

here i took a pic of the wooden's butt plate sitting on the shurshot stock. i'm kind of in a hurry to figure this out since i'm going out tomorrow morning to shoot some clays (if i can even hit them ) i think i'm going to swap out stocks with my friend who has the syn stock and try the butt plate off that, if it works.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z.../HPIM00021.jpg

Old October 10, 2008, 10:22 PM   #19
Edward429451

I thought I liked folding stocks and went through a couple diff kinds just to find out that I dont like them. I did put a 10 rnd ext on my 11/87 and found it to be awesome. I didn't notice any pronounced balance change as I went through shells, but that stock fit me good too. It held 10+1 2 3/4, or 9+1 2 3/4 slugs, or 8+1 3" slugs.

I say try the 10 rnd extension. If it works n you like it, sweet. If it's problematic for you in feel or function then go back to stock. Don't lose your factory barrellnut!