The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
dvfd12

Opinions on scales

I need to buy a new scale. I have narrowed it down to the Dillon D-Terminator Electronic Scale, or the RCBS RangeMaster 750 Electronic Scale.

A friend of mine has the Dillon, and he swears by it. I hear the RCBS is a good scale and its about $40 cheaper.

I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with either of these.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:14 AM   #2
cheygriz

Most of the electronic scales are pretty good. Not as good, IMHO, as a good Ohaus manufactured beam balance scales, but still good.

However, the use of an electronic scale makes the use of a precision scale weight check set even more critical.
Old January 13, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
mrawesome22

I always wanted an electronic scale too.... till I joined this board and started reading. Seems the only way to use one accurately is to re-zero it almost every charge. So I bought a cheap Lee and my groups have thanked me ever since. I bought it just to get into reloading, but it works so well, I'll probably use it till I drop it and it breaks LOL. The only time you have to re-zero it is after moving it.
Old January 13, 2007, 03:45 PM   #4
OlderFox

Have used a Lyman beam scale for 42 years. When it wore out I bought a RCBS 5-0-5 off dreaded eBay for $20 barely used. This was 2 years ago. Having seen how a couple of the electronic ones work, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to my beam scales. The time saved isn't worth the inaccuracies that can develop with electronics.
I'm not about to try to fix something that isn't broken. 0.25 MOA is good enough for my varmint rifles.
Cheers
Old January 13, 2007, 07:05 PM   #5
cuate

Rcbs

Bought a RCBS Micro Pro some time back, I haven't found a powder measure of any kind that was on the money. I have a Lyman, a Lee and some other measure but I am shooting ball powder and the Lee does fairly well, within a few grains. I weigh each and every charge and stand by with a powder trickler or ready to dump a bit for every charge. I rather like for each cartridge to be accurate, no matter the caliber. I am open to suggestions that don't cost a furtune.
Old January 13, 2007, 08:39 PM   #6
stinger

I got the RCBS 750 for X-Mas and have used it several times since then. It is just as accurate as my 5-0-5, but much faster and easier to use.

Obviously, I cannot vouch for its longevity, but I like it.
Old January 13, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Windwalker

I have a RCBS beam scale, got to be thirty years old and a Redding scale that I bought at a garage sale twenty years ago. They're set up one above the other and when checking a powder charge I throw two and use both scales. Amazing how closely accurate they both are.

I'd love to try one of the new electronic scales but I'm afraid it would be for the gadget novelty. For me, why replace something that is working perfectly fine? Maybe if it was my first scale yea I'd get a electronic one but then I'd have a beam scale also. Ahh, the choices.....

WW
Old January 13, 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
mjrodney

A RCBS 5-0-5 and a set of check/calibration weights will serve you till the end of time.
Old January 13, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Anon

Maybe I'm cheap, but here's my thought on "the use of a precision scale weight check set"..... Why bother? Get a couple of whatevers, and weigh them when you get the scale. As long as these whatevers give the same reading every time you use the scale, the scale is still OK.

I don't reload for precision, though, I do it for quantity at lower cost than factory (goes back to the cheap thing!).

A sucky thing about digital scales, and digital calipers... dead batteries when you go to use the equipment.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:04 PM   #10
CERBERUS

The check weights weigh an exact amount, this isn't necesarily to check to see if your scale has changed (though they do work well for this) it is to make sure 10grns actualy weigh 10grns on the scale. If you repeatibly weigh a charge that is 1grn off then that could be a problem.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:08 PM   #11
cheygriz

+1 to Cerberus.

The scale check weights are just as important as the scale itself.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:43 PM   #12
CERBERUS

accidental double post, and theres no delete button
Old January 14, 2007, 06:23 AM   #13
XD-Guy

I like a beam scale, I use an RCBS 505 and will soon have a 10/10 IMO that's the Cadillac of beam scales