The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Sheep Doggy Dogg

One Gun, Multiple Purposes: Glock 19 Gen3 vs M&P9c

Alright, I've dabbled long enough trying to figure out what two guns would be great as a CCW and what would be good for HD/range use. The truth is, I can only afford one purchase and I want to make it count.

I've settled on the Glock 19 Gen3 or the M&P9c. Both are roughly the same size, assuming use of the included grip extension on M&P. Both hanguns are exteremly well made so that's a moot issue. I've shot both and can't really tell a difference in which shoots better. I like the feel of the M&P in my hand but I prefer the Glock trigger.

If you were in my shoes and could only make on purchase and wanted a versatile handgun for CCW, HD, and range use, which one would you purchase?
Old April 25, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Me personally? Glock 19. I hate the standard M&P trigger (though I hear the new trigger on the Shield will be making its way to the fullsize models at some point and that would be a nice improvement). Yes I know you can put in an APEX trigger kit or something similar. However I don't like to do that on a CCW, range gun sure. Aftermarket for Glock is probably stronger too and parts and mags are easier to find.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way though. Figure out which is best for YOU and you'll have a fine weapon regardless.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 25, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
danez71

Quote:
If you were in my shoes and could only make on purchase and wanted a versatile handgun for CCW, HD, and range use, which one would you purchase?
I would buy the one that felt the most comfortable in my hand because I think both are otherwise equal.

For ME.. trigger reach is an issue with my shorter fingers and the M&P9c was the better fit.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Pond, James Pond

I would sit down and either:

Think about which feature I could either adjust too with the most easy or, failing that, simply live with: the Glock's feel in the palm, or the trigger of the M&P.

Or

Simply think of how each made me feel, and go with the one that tickled my fancy most.

I have the exact model of Glock you are looking at. I'm happy with it, but then, I don't know any better: it was my first semi!! I have never even seen an M&P in the flesh...
Old April 26, 2012, 02:04 AM   #5
vyse.04

Quote:
I've settled on the Glock 19 Gen3 or the M&P9c. Both are roughly the same size, assuming use of the included grip extension on M&P. Both hanguns are exteremly well made so that's a moot issue. I've shot both and can't really tell a difference in which shoots better. I like the feel of the M&P in my hand but I prefer the Glock trigger.

Since you've fired them both, your opinion matters the most. I would go with the M&P if I were you, but that is because I also prefer the way it feels in my hand.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:11 AM   #6
fivepaknh

I have a G29 10mm and two M&P 9mm, the full sized and the Shield. For me the M&P's are more comfortable to carry IWB and I definitely shoot the M&P's better. Though, I'm sure the 10mm versus the 9mm plays a part in that. The M&P's also point better for me.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Of the two, I'd give the slight edge to the 19. That said, I love the M&P9c as well. I have both and both have been extremely reliable and accurate guns. The big difference is in the trigger. People frequently complain about the Glock trigger, but compared to the M&P it's much more crisp with a better reset. That's my $.02.

Old April 26, 2012, 07:31 AM   #8
fivepaknh

The trigger would be a consern if I used it for target shooting, but for a self defense handgun, under the stress one could expect to be under, I don't think I would feel much of a difference in the triggers at the time.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:44 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
The trigger would be a consern if I used it for target shooting, but for a self defense handgun, under the stress one could expect to be under, I don't think I would feel much of a difference in the triggers at the time.
While that's true, the OP mentions using it at the range as well.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 26, 2012, 08:50 AM   #10
jmr40

I shoot the Glock better.
Old April 26, 2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Mrgunsngear

The trigger is a concern for both combat and range. The trigger pull isn't bad on the M&P, but the reset is barely noticeable if it's noticeable at all. This causes you to fire more slowly because you have to fully release the trigger on the M&P before firing the next shot. It doesn't matter if I'm on a 1 way or 2 way range, I still want the ability to shoot fast and accurately.

But, S&W is coming out with a 'new and improved' M&P trigger in April or May according to their Facebook page. They say it's like the one on the Shield; if so it will be a big improvement as far as reset is concerned.
Old April 26, 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

The Glock is probably a better size for a mix of ccw and home defense as well as training and range use. Both have some potential baggage; later Gen 3 Glocks got the updated extractor which has causes some issues on some guns while the 9mm M&P's have had accuracy issues at longer distances but are still combat accurate. If you shoot them the same but like the feel of the M&P better I would go with the M&P. Any good 'smith can do a trigger job on the M&P to make it infinitely better. Mine reworked my M&P9c for only $45. If you don't have a gunsmith local you can buy an Apex kit. Its a shame that these guns have such rough triggers from the factory but it is something that is easily fixed.
Old April 26, 2012, 09:22 AM   #13
bossman

I don't think there is a dimes difference between the two. Go with the one that you shot the best or with the best deal. Both are great guns with all kinds of support.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
David the Gnome

I prefer the Glock 19 as well. I like the M&P series as a whole but I have yet to shoot any gun with an extended-grip mag that I actually liked. It never feels right to me and I always end up preferring the flush-fit mags. I went with the Glock 19 for my mid-sized carry gun.

Old April 26, 2012, 11:10 AM   #15
presspics

That's a tough call. The Glock 19 is a good gun...good size good mag capacity and well suited to being the only handgun that a person owns.

The M&Pc is also a good gun. The trigger complaints are very very easy to fix for the end user. Fixing the reset is a 5 minute job. Smoothing the trigger is also a 5 minute job. You don't need a gunsmith to do it for you.

Comparing both guns....I prefer S&W's method of field stripping. You don't pull the trigger to break down the gun..Now a lot of people will say that pulling the trigger on the Glock for breakdown isn't a concern if you follow all the safety rules. The fact of the matter is that at some point everyone gets distracted and may forget to do something they are supposed to. Pulling the trigger to break down a gun violates the basic rules of gun safety. It is poor form and an even poorer design in the Glock. Go to any police station that issues Glocks and check their armory or training room. There are bullet holes in the walls or ceilings...guaranteed!!

For me, I would get the M&P...it's just as accurate, just as reliable..safer and easily tuned to have a trigger 10 times better than the Glock.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:34 AM   #16
carguychris

Re: mags...

Two notes about M&P mags that haven't been brought up...
  • The only difference between the two styles of standard-capacity 12rd* mags sold with the M&P9c is the floorplate, and this piece is interchangeable. The flat floorplate is the same part used on a standard 17rd full-size M&P mag.
  • Standard 17rd full-size M&P mags will fit in an M&P9c and will function perfectly, but will protrude beneath the grip unless an aftermarket adapter is used. I'm still waiting on a factory adapter. (Knock knock, attention S&W, are you listening?)
*Footnote: The reduced-capacity 10rd mags sold in certain states have a thicker floorplate and a physically shorter mag body. Floorplates for these mags do NOT fit on other 9mm M&P mags. I found this out the hard way when I ordered a spare floorplate and S&W shipped me one for a 10rd mag by mistake.