The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2000, 12:57 PM   #1
stuckatwork

I was pokeing around thearchieves looking for some reloading info and came across this statement:

"As I recall, the 1967 Match Load was 47.5 grains 4895, from Lake City. Of course, they were NOT using canister grade powder, what you buy at your local gun-reloading store is."

I give what's the difference between the Lake City Arsenal's 4895 and the 4895 that one buys from the local gunshop? What is meant by "canister powder"? And if it is not canister powder, what is it?

Getting more and more confused.

------------------
You can find the price of freedom, buried in the ground.
Old July 28, 2000, 01:48 PM   #2
Paul B.

Stuckatwork. When the arsenal gets a new lot of (in this case) 4895, they test it with a closed bomb test, and some careful loading to determine what charge will give them the results they want. Cannister powder is blended from several lots to give a certain specified standard. Various lots of 4895 sold to the public after WW-2, varied in burning rate to be almost as fast as IMR-3031 to as slow as IMR 4320. I don't guess this has changed much, so the powder is blended to give pressures in the parameters determined for the powder sold to reloaders. I also believe each powder made varies somewhat in burning rate, and so is blended to specified standards.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited July 30, 2000).]