The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2000, 05:14 PM   #1
faiello5

Hi all. I am going to begin reloading soon and would like to build a bench for the press and other equipment. Does anyone have some good plans they could send me? I would be happy to reimbures copy and postage expenses. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Old June 20, 2000, 05:47 PM   #2
SKR

http://www.again.net/~steve/page8.htm then go to Table #3
Old June 21, 2000, 11:01 AM   #3
jtduncan

GlockTalk had some great plans floating around. that's where I got mine!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old June 22, 2000, 04:27 PM   #4
El Lobo

There are always ads in 'The American Rifleman' for bench plans for about $5.
Old June 22, 2000, 05:15 PM   #5
faiello5

Thanks all. I cobbled together 2 modular desks that were collecting dust in the office. Looks like it will work out great.

Regards,
Frank

Old June 24, 2000, 01:59 AM   #6
sgtar15

faiello5,
I addition to my regular bench I also have a portable bench that I made. I used a small end table (2 1/2'sq). On it I mounted a hand trimmer and a single stage "O" style press. With this arrangement, and a set of Lee dippers, it fits in the back of my van. That way I can easily reload at the range or any other place. All you need is some sturdy wall or whatever for it to push against. It works great.

------------------
ALL CRIMES ARE HATE CRIMES.

SGTAR15
Old July 18, 2000, 01:47 AM   #7
Clark

I built a bench for someone from 3/4" plywood and 2x4s. Fred Flintstone.

I next got an electronic technician's bench and mounted my press.

I next took a little kid's wooden table and mounted a 2'x3' peiece of maple butcher block on it. I put the press on that. [and a mini lathe and a vice]

I have a book by Landice [Tantum press] on work benches. They made a sequel on workshops. I would like to see a book like that on reloading benches and areas. I once visited a ranch with a room in the basement [coolest place in Montana] devoted to reloading. It was as organized and stocked as a gun store. He had several benchs. We loaded 243 and 220 Swift. Then we shot prarie dogs.

[This message has been edited by Clark (edited July 18, 2000).]
Old July 18, 2000, 05:59 PM   #8
slickpuppy

I use a workbench from Home Depot that I put together. Cost was $49.95 and goes together with woodscrews and carpenters glue.

Super sturdy and the top comes preassembled. Mostly 2x6 and 2x4 construction.
Old July 19, 2000, 01:39 AM   #9
Archie

Check out used office furniture places. I scrounged up an old metal desk that's as ugly as sin. Very cheap. Needed a friend to get it in the truck and we both like to hurt ourselves.

Solid as a rock. Used a half or three quarter inch plywood sheet UNDERSIDE of the desk top and big fender washers. Has drawers for storage of dies and tools and such.

------------------
Archie
Old July 19, 2000, 12:46 PM   #10
KODB

I would second the used furniture idea, or better yet, find a "surplus" auction from a school or college. I just bought 4 large wooden desks (about 30years old). 2 of them were for refinishing and to be used in our study/home office. One of the other two is now a reloading bench with a bunch of drawers. You can usually get heavy duty desks that are dinged up for pretty cheap. The nicer desks I bid and paid 22.50 for and the desk (which is heavier) that was dinged and now holds my Dillon stuff was only $10. The drawers are convenient, and the large file drawer nicely holds my powders/primers which are encased in GI ammo cans. At the same auction I also picked up 2 3unit metal mesh lockers like you see in pool rooms. They weigh in excess of 300# a unit and are lockable. They have become component storage and gun lockers.

Good luck with either building or procuring; I think that finding stuff surplus/used/auctioned is however the way to go here. I do quite a bit of cabinetry and woodworking is a major hobby for me but I still am quite happy with the above.

Bob
Old July 19, 2000, 02:06 PM   #11
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I built mine into a corner in my workshop, with 2X6 and 2x4's. The top was 2X4's glued and screwed together, and covered with a nice piece of paneling for a smooth pretty top. I then used 1X12 spruce for shelves and finished it with a light stain and 4 or 5 coats of sand&sealer to make it really shine and also easy to wipe the dust off of. Damn thing is sturdy enough for 2 elephants to get it on on top of ! One of these days I am going to take a picture of it and scan it. (the loading bench not the elephants)

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 20, 2000, 03:52 AM   #12
JackFlash

I use the shop bench and mount my presses, chargers, primer tools to a 2" X 12" about two - three feet long. This I C-clamp to a spot on the bench between the machine vise and the wood vise.

I sort brass in recycled yogurt containers. (They stack up when empty.) Plastic dish-washing pans come in handy for components like bullets, primers, dies.

This way I can set up the operation and work efficiently. But if I have another project going, I can stow these materials on a nearby shelf.

Personally, I like to stand when I reload. I have a "bar stool" that is standing height but hardly ever sit on it.

Used desks, furniture sounds like a good idea. Auctions, garage sales, furinture liquidators . . . all good sources of cheap, heavy duty "benches."
Old July 20, 2000, 03:52 PM   #13
alan

If you can find a couple of metal file drawers, 2 drawers highm try used office furnature outlets, a sheet of 3/4"thick structural grade ply wood, cut in half, makes up a quite serviceable "bench". You can make a nice surface using 12" x 12" adhesive backed floor tiles for the wrok surface, that cleans us easily.
Old July 21, 2000, 03:25 AM   #14
Clark

Hey, Alan,
If I had a plywood bench, I would pile lots of junk on it, to make it stable:]