The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 4, 2017, 07:29 PM   #26
michaeldarnold

I've seen some of the wood furniture available for the AR platform, and while I love working with wood, none of the profiles for the furniture available excite me. It tends to look forced.

Mike in STL
Old February 4, 2017, 07:53 PM   #27
ed308

The 7mm Valkyrie and 270AR use oversize bolts. Not as large as AR10 bolts but larger than a 5.56 bolt. Grendel and x39 use their own size bolt and can they can get beat up based on design limitations. Make sure you go with a 9310 bolt for those. AR15 Performance sells a over sized bolt for the Grendel and x39 but it requires a special barrel extension to work. He's got 9310 bolts to. 6.8 don't have problems with bolts breaking.

Last edited by ed308; February 4, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:31 PM   #28
smee78

I built a hunting AR last year and I went with a X39, it is a super shooter. I really like being able to shoot my reloads or cheap store bought ammo. Makes practice cheap and affordable and can be found at a lot of locations. Most important thing with the X39 build is to use a good mag, for this choice I use ASC mags, no feeding problems and they come it different sizes. Good luck with your choice.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:34 PM   #29
Mobuck

Case head size is another plus on the 6.8 scorecard. A little bit more meat on the bolt head than the x39 based cases.
Old February 5, 2017, 12:46 PM   #30
stagpanther

Have you considered the 950mm UberSplatten? It's quite effective on deer out to even longer ranges.
Old February 5, 2017, 01:25 PM   #31
BluRidgDav

If you're worried about parts breakage in AR-15 sized rifles, and if you're serious about shooting deer/antelope at 500 yards, then you must move up to the AR-10 platform.

Since you seem to be comfortable building your rifle from the receiver on up, it's not hard to build a .243/.260/7-08/.308/other caliber AR-10 that weighs about 7 pounds. Or just buy a DPMS "mid-sized" G2 rifle that starts at around 7.25#. G2's offer a lot of cross-compatibility with AR-15 components, too. In case you already have a bunch of parts waiting for a new purpose. But, the G2 Hunter model will do everything that you want, right outta the box.

It's fun to push the envelope of the AR-15 platform, but, it has finite limitations!
Old February 5, 2017, 04:40 PM   #32
hal9000

"Have you considered the 950mm UberSplatten?"
SNORT! Thanks I needed a good laugh.

"It's fun to push the envelope of the AR-15 platform, but, it has finite limitations!"
For sure. I'm probably going to push the envelope on this one unless reliability really does go out the window with these (ahem) "big calibers".... In all honesty, I don't have enough experience with the AR platform to really know.

My little brother built a '15 in 25wssm a few years ago. He hasn't had any breakage issues, but is considering selling it due to the lack of availability of brass and ammo (apparently commercial brass is NLA) even though he loads his own. If it wasn't for the fact that I want to build something, I'd consider just talking him out of that one.... I'm actually a little surprised nobody has mentioned the WSSM as a candidate chambering. something like a 6.5WSSM would probably be pretty potent (although I'm sure it would really push the limits of what the AR-15 can take!)
Old February 5, 2017, 04:59 PM   #33
laxpatrick

I went with the .300BO for up close with a reflex sight and the Grendel for farther out - but none of my deer shots on my property are past 200.

Drawback of the Grendel is it's barrel, bolt, mags.

LAX
Old February 5, 2017, 05:15 PM   #34
stagpanther

Quote:
I went with the .300BO for up close with a reflex sight and the Grendel for farther out - but none of my deer shots on my property are past 200.
Good choices, flexible, easy to hand load or find ammo for and good shooters.
Old February 8, 2017, 01:42 PM   #35
Tallest

Have you ever looked at 277 Wolverine? It's a Wildcat, but it's a modified .223 case necked out and reduced to a .27 caliber bullet. I have a friend who has one, and it is very effective on East Coast whitetail. The velocities don't really surpass 2800fps, but to my way of thinking, it's a heck of a round for a rifle that can be built by just changing the barrel on a standard AR.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Last edited by Tallest; February 8, 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old February 8, 2017, 04:52 PM   #36
O4L

I was looking at all the available AR-15 cartridges recently and the 277 Wolverine caught my interest. If I was a deer hunter and handloader I would look closer at it.
Old February 9, 2017, 12:02 AM   #37
ed308

277 Wolverine is similar to the 300BLK but uses 6.8 bullets.