The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 7, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
candlejackstraw

Bent Firing Pin on Yugo M48A

Well, when it rains it pours. I started cleaning a yugo M48 from SOG (not sure if im allowed to mention that, ill edit it to delete that if thats the case) and I discovered the firing pin is bent. I didnt bend it when tearing down the bolt. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement one or if SOG would send me a replacement one? I found one dealer on ebay that wants 60 dollars for one! Are there any other sources out there? Is it possible to straighten the firing pin?

BTW when I said when it rains it pours....my pipes burst from the freeze today...lmao. fun times.
Old January 7, 2017, 09:45 PM   #2
candlejackstraw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2017, 11:06 PM   #3
emcon5

Bend it back.
Old January 7, 2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Wyosmith

If you can heat it even to 800 degrees (not rad, but pretty hot) you can bind it back with no problem, and in fact, you probably would be fine to bend it back cold. Best to use heat if you can, just for the extra assurance that it won't break.

If for any reason it did break it's not all that hard to fix it.

Cut if off at the thicker part and drill a hold center. You a lathe to do it. Now silver solder a piece of "stress proof" steel into the hole to make a new striker. Turn down the new piece to the proper dimensions and length and round the tip.

Done!

I have not had to fix a 98 Mauser that way, but I bet I have done 30 other bolt action pins in that way. It's not hard to do, and they come out good as new.
Old January 7, 2017, 11:34 PM   #5
candlejackstraw

im timid about bending it back, ive read alot about people breaking theirs.

BTW. when i disassembled it, I put a washer on top of a Styrofoam block to prevent any pressure being on the firing pin. (I didnt have a block handy to drill into)
Old January 8, 2017, 01:48 AM   #6
volkstrm

Bent Firing Pin on Yugo M48a

Candlejackstraw,

Do NOT bend it back!! Just replace it. You can get them from Sarco. www.e-sarcoinc.com. Phone# 610-250-3960. I looked it up & they have them for $22.50. Mauser 98 firing pin,Item#MSR431. It's 7 1/5 in length. This should fit your Yugo M48a. This pin is made to fit many different Mauser's. Take a look at it or just call them they will know & will help you. I have dealt with them before they are very good. It is real easy to replace. Good luck. I also have Mauser's M48,Gew98,k98,brno98 & put that pin in my Gew,98's & K98's. I did not want to shoot the Gew,98's with a 100 year old plus firing pin so I put in a new one. I just keep the old one's because the s/n mach the bolt. Just love them Mauser's.
Old January 8, 2017, 06:18 AM   #7
tangolima

Does the pin protrude correctly when the bolt is in fired position?

My k98k has firing pin tip that looks as bent as yours. I was as alarmed as you when I saw it the first time I disassembled the bolt, and was about to bend it back years ago. But the rifle has been shooting fine, for many years and number of rounds. It protrudes just fine too.

You can elect to replace it now. I just keep shooting till I have to. I will have to as everything will break given time. It doesn't need to be expensive to replace either.

-TL
Old January 8, 2017, 12:01 PM   #8
emcon5

Quote:
Do NOT bend it back!! Just replace it.
Why not? What is the worst thing that can happen, it breaks and he has to replace it? He is planning on doing that anyway.

Surprised that M98 firing pin would fit a Yugo Mauser, while the design is pretty much the same, the action length is not, so I would expect a standard M98 firing pin to be too long for a Yugo M48 (or 24, or 24/47).
Old January 8, 2017, 12:46 PM   #9
candlejackstraw

I'll have to call sarco and ask if that part will fit in a m48
Old January 8, 2017, 09:56 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

A standard Mauser (like a K98k) firing pin will NOT fit a Yugo M48; the M48 bolt is shorter. If ordering, be sure to specify that the part is for a Yugo M48.

Jim
Old January 9, 2017, 12:22 PM   #11
emcon5

Still unclear on why you don't want to even try and bend it back, since you are planning on buying a new one anyway.

find a scrap piece of wood, drill a hole in it so the tip of the firing pin fits as tight as you can get it, preferably with a drill press so you know it is true 90ยบ.

Put the tip in the hole so it stands up, then use the pin body as a lever to gently bend it until the pin stands straight up.

Like I said, if it breaks, then BFD, you were planning on replacing it anyway.
Old January 9, 2017, 01:08 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Gunparts is sold out, but $60 is daft. They wanted $26.10. Try Bob's Gun shop. His site is currently closed though.
It is rumoured that Zavasta still makes a variation of the M48. These guys are the importer. http://www.fimegroup.com/About-Us/
Old January 9, 2017, 11:48 PM   #13
Tidewater_Kid

The M48 firing pins are very difficult to find and will be VERY spendy if you do find one.

If it were me, I would try and straighten that one.

TK

I edited my post after wpsdlrg posted his!

Last edited by Tidewater_Kid; January 10, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:41 AM   #14
wpsdlrg

If you can find one, a FP for a Turkish 1903 short Mauser will work perfectly. I had one in my M48 Yugo for years.

Check Numrich.

Update: I just checked Numrich myself. They have the Turk 1903 pin in stock. $35.15 plus shipping.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:09 PM   #15
Tidewater_Kid

wpsdlrg,

You are correct! My memory is not what I thought. It is the 1903 Turkish pin that will fit. I had to modify the rear of the pin to fin my Yugo cocking piece.

Thanks!