The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 28, 2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Gaucho Gringo

Black Powder on sale

Grafs has their house brand BP on sale for $12.99 lb. Cheaper than when I bought 2 years ago. Need to order some more. If you can get a couple of other people to go in on a buy ends up being a good deal.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...process%22%3B}
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 28, 2015, 11:38 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

The only one I see that is a deal is their house brand "Reinactor" at $12.03 delivered ($300.84 for a 25lb case).

Graf's regular powder granulations come out to be $361.20 a case (of 25) delivered.

Kik from Powder Inc is $352.50 per case (any granulation), and I know it's graphite coated, and I like it as well as Goex for general purpose use.

Isn't Graf's just relabeled Kik, but not coated with graphite? I remember someone having a post about it a long time ago, but I'm not certain if that is right or not... Just need to call and ask them I guess.
Or am I thinking of Jack's Powder Keg? I know at least some of his are not coated, as I have a couple of pounds of it.

I may have to get some of their "Reinactor" and try it in some shotgun shells.

I'm always looking for the brand with the most smoke!
Old May 29, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3
thallub

Graf's blackpowder is made by Wano Schwartzpulver of Germany.

Quote:
A new formulation of black powder developed by Wano Schwarzpulver of Germany for Graf & Sons utilizing premium grade Alder Charcoal.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5404
Old May 29, 2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Grafs is relabeled Scheutzen and is an excellent powder. Depending on weather conditions, cleanup of my '73 Winchester in 44-40 after a CAS match takes about 4 patches & 5 - 10 minutes.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 29, 2015, 07:35 PM   #5
B.L.E.

On the other hand, KIK is made in Kammik, Slovenia by Kemijska industrija Kamnik d.d. You can see where the initials "KIK" come from.

I have heard a lot of good things about it. A lot of the ml bench rest shooters are starting to use it instead of Swiss or when Swiss is not available.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:18 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for the heads up. My club wants powder.
Old June 2, 2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Andy Griffith

On a KIK vs Scheutzen, it's really a toss up for me, but it *feels* to me that the KIK fouling seems a bit softer in my 24" to 30" barreled rifles, but I can't prove it- only opinion.

Is there a ANSI test to determine fouling hardness?
Old June 3, 2015, 10:33 AM   #8
maillemaker

I tried Shuetzen - very dirty powder compared to Goex. I could only load about 3 Wilkinson bullets using it before loading got excessively crunchy.

I'll never use Shuetzen again.

Steve