The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2014, 12:07 AM   #26
625cnd

Most die sets for autoladers came with ROLL Crimp seating dies.
Only in the last few years has it become mainstream.....to come with taper crimp seater dies
Old November 16, 2014, 09:34 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

My Lyman dies (bought in the early 70s) came with a roll crimp in the seater die.
Old November 19, 2014, 12:02 AM   #28
bbqncigars

For those of us who use a CoAx: when faced with round that the jaws don't like (45AR and 45-70 for example) I just remove some metal from the base of a standard RCBS shellholder until the CoAx can grab it. Just pop the shellholder in and back off the jaw opener until you're done. Modifying the bottom of the RCBS holder is easier with a lathe, but I used to do it without one.
Old November 20, 2014, 12:43 PM   #29
RickB

Quote:
Most die sets for autoladers came with ROLL Crimp seating dies.
Only in the last few years has it become mainstream.....to come with taper crimp seater dies
I think I bought my RCBS .45 dies in 1995, and they have a taper crimp die.
My . . . Lyman? Orange box . . . 10mm dies, bought four or five years later, do apply a roll crimp.
Other than cast bullets intended for the .38-40, I've never seen a .40" bullet with a crimp groove, so the roll crimp feature was a head-scratcher.
Old December 4, 2014, 10:56 PM   #30
cjwils

Thanks for all the info on dies. Now let me ask, will a 45 Colt shell holder also work with 45 Auto Rim? I looked up some shell holder charts, and they all said no, but it seems to me the two case bases would be similar.
Old December 5, 2014, 07:00 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Similar doesn't mean functionally the same.

The charts are correct. You can't use the same shell holder.

Rim thickness is also a critical dimension when selecting a shell holder.

The Auto Rim is slightly larger in diameter (enough that it might not properly engage the .45 Colt's rim). The Auto Rim is also MUCH thicker.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 5, 2014, 10:42 PM   #32
jag2

I'm guessing from your question you haven't actually laid your hands a piece of 45 AR. The base is way thick, like twice as thick as the slot it is supposed to fit into.
I've now have had my 25-2 to the range a couple of times and really enjoy shooting it. I ended up buying the tool from moonclip.com, like it a lot so unless something changes I'm going this route. Since I already load 45 ACP my ammo will be interchangeable. So far everything is good.