The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 2, 2013, 10:15 AM   #76
LSnSC

GeauxTide,

You and the person you spoke to are mistaken. The 30-30 Z Max IS the FTX. They simply changed the color of the tip for marketing purposes. The Vmaxes and A maxes have a hard polycarbonate tip unsuitable for use in a 30-30 tubular magazine.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #77
Sarge

Some years back I hit a 150 pound doe with a .44/300/XTP at less than 20 yards, from a 5 1/2" Redhawk. I'd chronographed the load at 1310 fps and shot it into enough water jugs, wet-pack etc. to know it would expand well within the first hundred yards.

Everything was perfect... I was sitting in a low tree stand, the doe stopped, and the front sight settled exactly where the shoulders meet the spine. My press-off was perfect. What I didn't count on was the yearling that snuck up behind her and shoved his cold nose under her udder.

My 'perfect shot' turned into 'How the #&@**$ did she get over THERE??' She took off at a sprint down a 200 yard grown-up waterway, towards some woods with a big creek running through them. I thought 'I know I hit her good' and bailed outta the tree to pick up my deer.

I immediately picked up a bright red blood trail, high on the brush she passed, so I figured '50 yards tops'. 45 minutes and 275 yards later, I found her dead in a creek bottom a full 300 yards from where I shot her.

I learned that she moved as I shot her, and I hit her a good 5-6 inches behind the shoulder, right under the spine. The bullet had still expanded which was evident from the quarter-sized exit, and it clipped the major vessels along the spine. I learned something from that.... if you hit them too far back, you are in for a tracking job. I've found several dead deer in the woods over the years, lost by the folks who shot them in almost exactly the spot I hit that doe.

I've got a few rounds of Leverevolution (or whatever you call it) 30-30 laying around here but Ive never killed anything with it. I'm quite happy with the Sierra 150 over 34.0 grains of H4895 or Winchester's Power Point factory load. I do use the Nosler 150 BT at 2940 from a 30-06 and at 220 yards, it still smashes deer like Thor's hammer.

Assuming a good hit
Old February 2, 2013, 12:47 PM   #78
Gunplummer

1. I kill deer with Hornady 55 Gr V MAX bullets in my .223
2. This year was the first time I ever used a 30-30 to hunt deer.
I used Remington 170 Gr Corlockt bullets in the 30-30. The 30-30 shredded the lungs on a doe and it jumped, and then walked off through the brush. I knew I had a good hit but it sure did not seem like it. That deer went a long way considering it was just wandering along. I am not impressed with a 30-30 and would NOT use hollow points in it to hunt. Experience tells me to use the fancy bullets (Hollow points) with high velocity rounds. I really drop deer fast with the .223 and V-MAX bullets. If you pay attention to a lot of the posts praising specialty bullets, you will see most are shooting high velocity rounds.

An old Jarhead

Tracking dogs? I guess you could always eat the dog if he can't find the deer.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:07 PM   #79
BuckRub

Sounds like the OP made a bad shot placement. I love a 30-30 with core-lok or Hornady FTX. never tried anything else but they do a great job.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:34 PM   #80
Saltydog235

Quote:
Yes, i do. Last year i trapped and shot well over 200 wild hogs. All those hogs except one went to some person who wanted the meat. None were gut shot and left to die a lingering death.
BS. And not that it matters, I don't. I could care less about a nasty swamp pig. Anything over 150lbs and toting a set of nuts around here takes a week of softening before the worms and buzzards will work on it. The only time I gut shoot one is if I miss blowing their brains out. And personally I don't care how they die or how long it takes them, just as long as they do. I take more pity on a mosquito. BTW, you process and eat coyotes, ground hogs, rats and the like? That's hard core.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:44 PM   #81
reynolds357

SaltyDog, I likewise consider a hog to be more worthless than a field rat. Kill them clean or kill them with gangrene, just as long as they die.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #82
JarheadHunter

I agree. They are nothing but pests, and destroy anywhere they decide to call home for however long they stay. On the land where I hunt they have decided to make their home on the bank of the stock pond in some tall grass and you have been able to watch what was a beautiful landscape turn into a hollowed out muddy tracked up mashed down bedding area that has gone to hell. We are in the process of killing them off, but do not shoot them over there to avoid them getting stuck in the mud and water and tainting the water, and possibly killing the fish that are stocked in there. On another note. We will keep and use the smaller ones to blend with venison in linked sausage or pan sausage, but the bigger ones tend to be very tough and the meat does not taste very good at all. Even if you throw a shoulder or hind quarter in the smoker the overwhelming flavor of mesquite cant mask it. maybe the younger pigs haven't had enough time to basque in the life long nastiness of their moms and dads. Either way it is all up to opinion, but I side on eradicating these nasty things.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:01 PM   #83
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any and EVERY type of ammo can do what it is sold to do and any and ALL ammo has the ability to fail to perform... ESPECIALLY when any of the numerous tools in Murphy's tool chest come into play...

But this thread is now about the way to kill feral swine... Clean or Gangrene???

Beating the dead horse while veering right off the tracks...

Closed...

Brent
Closed Thread

Tags
30/30 , ballistic tip , ballistic tip failure , no blood