The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 09:25 AM   #51
dahermit

Quote:
Well, somebody must still be using Jordan style holsters for automatics, because I have one. No, it doesn't look exactly like his did, to be sure, but it has a slight butt forward tilt, and has a drop of just about the same amount, which puts the trigger guard just below the level of the belt. If the belt is actually worn at the waist, the pistol is perfectly vertical (but with the butt forward cant). Mine was made for the CZ 75 P-01, which is stamped on the back.

It is also a thumb snap holster and the trigger guard is covered. There is a distinct slot for a jacket but that's partly a byproduct of the design for a thumbsnap, if you follow me. I suppose it's an arguable point but it's pretty much a Jordan-style holster, just a little updated.
That is enough difference that I would not call that a "Jordan style holster". That sounds more like the typical duty holster for automatics worn by nearly all uniformed police today. Jordan was very specific in what he considered the ideal.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:41 AM   #52
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
His book should be required reading, but it should not be considered the bible on LE gun carry or use.
Quote:
I cannot argue with that, inasmuch as I have not seen a Jordan holster or a revolver on a Law Enforcement person in a long time. Our State Cops (Michigan) carry Sigs, and most of the others carry Glocks. None I know of carry Revolvers these days. So there is no danger of his book/method/holster will be considered the bible on LE carry.
A few days after these posts, I was watching an episode of "Cops" on TV, and one of the officers was carrying a revolver (have not seen modern cops witout autos before), as his duty gun and during a take-down, it fell on the ground. At first he thought that the perp had dropped it, then realized (as he stated later), that his unrestrained (ala Jordan), gun had fallen out of its holster during the scuffle and could have been picked up by the perp. So it would seem that Jordan's advice about not having the safety strap snapped could have undesirable consequences in a modern duty scenario.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:43 PM   #53
salbert

There seems to be some confusion here about "forward vs rearward cant". I would generally consider the forward cant to be "muzzle forward", which is the attitude that most all fast draw rigs used when I was shooting in the early '60's. The earlier post showing Ray Chapman, Thell Reed, Eldon Carl, Jack Weaver, and Cooper is in fact showing the rigs they wore at the time. I know. I shot with SWCPL (later SWPL) for several years with these guys, and shot the Leatherslap in Big Bear several times around '61-64. Sorry to say, with the exception of Thell Reed (and possibly Eldon Carl), I think they are all gone now. By the way, with the exception of a few guys using the Weaver stance or something similar, most of us shot live ammo at those 10" steel plates from just over the top of the holster. My gun of choice was a modified 1911 in .45ACP carried in an Andy Anderson "Gunfighter" walk and draw rig, which I think is the same one Ray Chapman is wearing in that photo above. Anderson died several years ago, but I understand that Victor Perez, who was Anderson's understudy, is still making them in the same style. He's somewhere in Burbank, Ca.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:13 PM   #54
salbert

By the way, in response to an earlier question about "why" the forward cant (muzzle forward) was used: To keep you from shooting yourself in the leg by having the muzzle always pointed in the general direction of the target, rather than down at your foot. I think it started with the single action fast draw guys (like Thell Reed), but worked very well for the 1911's too.