The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2011, 10:51 PM   #26
justjim75

don't rule out the 709slim because it's a taurus. i too, have a good taurus, 5000+ rounds through my 24/7 pro .45 and i trust it implicitly (great grips, sweet trigger, "strike two" capability). i have friends that have gotten rid of their millineums because they werent too good. i'm glad to hear you like your pt1911. the "slim" fit well IWB for me when i tried it on and you will have a few bucks leftover for extra mags, practice ammo, SD ammo, and a good holster. i agree that trying out a few before you buy is good but like you said, it can get expensive. there's a place close to me that lets you shoot their guns free, if you buy their overpriced ammo. have you considered a CZ?
Old April 27, 2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Kodyo

I bought a Bersa thunder to qualify with.
That being said, I plan on buying a Springfield XDM or CZ Rami at the end of the summer to be my primary carry gun.
Old April 28, 2011, 07:19 AM   #28
rml4uk

For all of those suggesting a Glock, I hear you. When I bought my 1911, I was this close to getting a Glock 19 instead. I love the standard and compact glocks, but there are 2 things I don't like about the subcompacts - the grips are very short, even with an extender (I have big hands), and they are thicker than what I want to carry. I don't wear super tight clothes by any means, but I feel like a glock, even the 26, would print while wearing my normal clothes. I know glock makes the slimline G36 but it's a .45 and I'm looking for a 9mm.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:05 AM   #29
zombieslayer

Then by all means, look at a Walther PPS.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:55 PM   #30
unknown

kahr cm9 just as good as the pm
Old April 28, 2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Rembart

Concealed carry

I went through the process for about 12 months. Shot quite a few and because of light weight and size decided to go with the 380. Owned P3at, fired the Kahr 380 (very nice), LCP (liked it also) but none were in the ballpark IMHO with the Sig P238. I love it, shoots awesome and carries great. I now have the extended mag to go with it and like it a ton.

Next choice for me would likely be the Kimber Solo or more likely the Kahr 9. But, the Sig with Buffalo Bore or Corbons should do the trick.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:58 PM   #32
Bucks Gun Shop

No question that the right answer is get whatever gun you WILL carry - 24/7. The problem that most people make is that they think with their "manly parts" when purchasing a carry gun, rather than their brain. This results in purchasing the biggest cannon their belt will hold up. They carry it for about a week and then it sits for three months until they trade it in. I would look hard at the smaller 9mm pistols. The Kahr that is mentioned is a good one. You have mentioned that you "fitted" the LC9. How about the new Sig P290 or the Taurus 709 Slimline. If those are all too small, then I would look towards some of the sub-compact models such as the Beretta Px4, the Springfield XD or the Ruger SR9c. They are all very reliable handguns.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:07 PM   #33
ClydeFrog

New sidearms; .40, .357sig, .45acp...

Depending on your training-skill level, I'd suggest a well made pistol in .40/.357sig/.45acp.
A S&W military and police compact with ambi safety night sights in .357sig or .40S&W could do well. A CPO(pre owned/factory service) SIG Sauer P220R .45acp a P229R in .357sig/.40 or P239 DAK w/night sights may work.
Finally, if you want a good new in box(NIB) 9mm AKA: 9x19mm, a PX4 Storm C or a Ruger SR9c could be a good pick.

Crimsontrace lasergrips may be a good add-on too & they have a $50.00 rebate offer: www.Crimsontrace.com .

ClydeFrog
Old April 29, 2011, 08:12 AM   #34
YZR

Quote:
Yeah, that must be why all those law enforcement agencies are staying away from Glocks these days. I'm no Glock lover, and in fact just sold off my last Glock in favor of the M&P and 1911. But I'm just curious, where are all the "accidental discharges" that you feel necessitate such a warning?
Since you asked here they are:
http://tinyurl.com/44agww8
Old April 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #35
sstrawsb

Ill re-recommend anything from the Kahr line-up; especially the CW9 if the PM9 is a little to small for your hands. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and I am completely impressed with it. Its very light weight, slim, and fits perfect in my hand.

Another good choice is the M&Pc. You can always get a magazine extension that makes the grip basically a full size grip.
Old April 29, 2011, 02:14 PM   #36
MrWesson

Tiny autos CW9>Pf9>P11 Pf9 wins overall on price IMO
Old April 29, 2011, 11:32 PM   #37
BigPoppa

Check out the S&WM&P series because the ones(9mm & 357Sig/40S&W) I own have been totally reliable and accurate. It really comes down to personal preference. Just like some other posters have said, fondle and shoot as many as possible before making your final selection.
Old April 30, 2011, 09:33 PM   #38
rml4uk

So, I took a lot of your advice, bit the bullet, and rented a few guns. I shot a Kahr P9, a Glock 26, a Smith M&Pc, and a Glock 36 Slimline. It turns out the Kahr kicks like a mule and really hurt my trigger finger every time I fired a round. The Glock 26 was pretty nice, but didn't point naturally for me. I liked the thinness of the Glock 36 but it kicked really hard seeing as how it's a .45. The M&Pc was awesome. It pointed perfectly as soon as I brought it up to the target, and there was hardly any recoil. I shot a 3" group at 7 yards. Not great, but not bad considering it was the first time I shot it. Needless to say, I ended up getting the M&Pc and got Trijicon night sights installed at the shop I also bought a box of Golden Sabre rounds. I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm really glad I listened to you all and rented some guns!
Old May 1, 2011, 03:33 AM   #39
YZR

Well done! I hope you are happy with your new sidearm
Old May 1, 2011, 07:52 AM   #40
WESHOOT2

www.uspsa.org

Excellent choices.

Now find your local USPSA clubs and go add 'purpose to your practice'.

Really. You'll learn how to get your 'Master' there, too.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:56 AM   #41
rml4uk

A little update - When I rented the M&P, it shot like a dream, felt great and had very little recoil, all of which contributed to my buying it. I bought the gun and had Trijicon night sights installed at the shop. I was able to shoot a reactive steel range yesterday and couldn't hit a thing - not even the first target that was proabbly at 5 yards. I mentioned in a previous post that with the rented M&P I had a 3" group at 7 yards, so this was pretty alarming. The armorer who installed the sights said that if I had any problems with the sights to just bring the gun back and he would fix it. I could easily tell the windage was off on the sights but I also had to aim high to hit each target. My question is, can the height of Trijicon's be adjusted? This is hard to explain, but on the M&P, both the front and rear sights extend in front of and behind the dovetail joint. I didn't look at this on the stock sights, but now that the Trijicons are on, the sight is slightly raised off the slide, enough that you could fit a piece of paper between the slide and the bottom of the sight. Is this something the armorer can adjust? I'm going back to the range on Thursday to shoot some paper targets so I can see exactly how far off the sights are. Anyone words of wisdom?
Old May 4, 2011, 01:58 PM   #42
207Copper

Glock

I carry a G23 but the G27/G26 9mm and 40 S&W are all GTG paired with a crossbreed or simular IWB holster and your CCP your good to go.

Jason
Old May 4, 2011, 02:03 PM   #43
travywestside

Glock 33, Ruger SR9c, and Taurus Millennium Pro are all good choices for cc.

But, as previously stated, you should shoot a lot of different guns to see which one feels more comfortable to you.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:54 PM   #44
zmetal4

I just went from G23 to a Taurus 709 Slim and so far, it's been alot more comfortable to carry. More concealable(especially with light clothing). 150 rounds down range with no hiccups. Half-way accurate to boot. I glued a Kahr grip extension on for better control. Didn't change the concealability either. Happy so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0455.jpg (241.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0456.jpg (242.1 KB, 20 views)
Old May 6, 2011, 10:08 PM   #45
fire4606

Ya'll are still giving him suggestions in stead of reading.. LOL

He rented guns, he bought his gun, S&W M&Pc

RML i didn't see though if you got the 9 or the 40?

You did mention that you're a little new to shooting so the sub compacts are going to be more difficult to get on with, but not bad, just going to take some rounds down range.

Unless you've acquired a monster flinch since you first shot one i'd say there's something up with the sights that you had installed, talk to the gunsmith that put them on and tell him what you've stated here and see what he says.

I'd also find someone else that can shoot it and see what it does for them to help rule you out as the issue...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:12 PM   #46
fire4606

RML i'm looking at my stock M&P full size right now with stock sights, and yes you could fit a piece of paper beneath the sights, both front and back..

I'm new to this forum i'll see if i can figure out how to post a picture for you...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:23 PM   #47
fire4606

Here ya go, this is a stock M&P with stock sights.....

Last edited by fire4606; January 29, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:27 PM   #48
justjim75

brand new and already helping people. welcome fire!
Old May 7, 2011, 12:01 AM   #49
C0untZer0

The Rohrbaugh R9 may be out of your price range but it's worth looking at:

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg product-gun-r9stealth.jpg (22.3 KB, 2153 views)
Old May 7, 2011, 06:45 PM   #50
rml4uk

Haha. Fire, thanks for setting everyone straight. I got the 9c.

So, I went to the paper target range and put 50 rounds through my 9c. I know that's not a lot, but it was enough to show me that my problem wasn't the sights. I had a decent enough group, probably 5" across and just left of center (something I've always struggled with). Fire, you're probably right about the size of the gun affecting my shooting. That combined with the transition from a 1911 trigger to the m&p trigger (m&p's trigger definitely has a more pronounced break than my old 1911) probably has more to do with it than anything else.

Thanks for the info about your stock sights. Here is a side view of my trijicon's. Looks identical to me. I guess I just need more practice. Thanks again, everyone, for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (34.9 KB, 20 views)

Tags
advice , carry , concealed , handgun