The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
X_shooter

1911 Smithing Opinions Needed

I have this new to me 1911-A1 Springfield Loaded. Over all I am happy with it's condition except one thing. I was field stripping again since it felt a little dry like their was insufficient lube on wearing surfaces. I inspected this gun pretty well before committing but never noticed this until looking for places to lube. I lubed everything that looks like it touched something else and found this.

See attached:

It appears to be 3 numbers, 444 roughly stamped with a pin punch and it is rubbing as the slide cycles ever so slightly. That part that rubs looks like a detent pin of some sort perhaps part of the ILS(?) that protrudes from the frame next to the ejector.

Should I:
1. Attempt to stone this down?
2. Send it to SA?
3. Leave it alone and let it wear itself off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5786.jpg (238.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5783.jpg (237.3 KB, 67 views)
Old September 26, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Is 444 the last three digits of the serial number?
It is on my SA.

I would (Did!) stone it smooth. I would use a medium or fine stone, not a Dremel. If you are not comfortable working on it, see your gunsmith.

By the way, that "detent" is the disconnector with no relation to the ILS.
A while spent with an exploded view and parts chart would be very helpful for you to get acquainted with your new gun. Information at:
http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm
Old September 26, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
X_shooter

Pardon my response to my own post (it annoys me), but upon closer inspection of the manual it is the disconnector that rubs on the numbers. I am guessing the disconnector will wear prematurely as it grates against this surface every cycle.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
X_shooter

Thanks Jim,

I just missed your post. I just finished studying the parts view in the manual. Truly good advise. I read it cover to cover, but skimmed that page thinking I wasn't going to take it down that far yet.

So you have it too? I would think SA would have found a better surface than that to rough up. I will hit it with a stone. I know that will help but the little recesses will still cause additional wear. That's a drag.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Sarge

Shame that SFA still chooses to scratch numbers into the disconnector race.

I'd expect the disconnector to be substantially harder than the slide, but whether or not this is the case, it is an unnecessary source of friction. I would stone the offending numerics just enough to get them flush with the surrounding surface and call it good.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:47 PM   #6
drail

Just knock off the high spots and don't sweat it. Many 1911s have these numbers stamped on the disconnector rail. The disconnector is going to wear in time whether the rail has numbers stamped in it or not. It does not cause a problem. It is not causing drag or additional friction on the slide or disco. You're just feeling it when you cycle it by hand. I have worked on 1911s for over 25 years and I have never seen this to be the cause of unecessary wear or damage. Keep it well lubed.

Last edited by drail; September 26, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old September 26, 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

As Jim suggested, just get one of the half inch square fine or medium India stones and take the upset portion surrounding the stamped numbers down to flush. At that point the numbers will already look skinnier and you'll find the disconnector skates over them much more smoothly. There are methods that could be used to fill them in, but none that would prove worth the time, cost, or trouble.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2010, 10:28 PM   #8
DnPRK

If it were my slide, I'd stone it flush.