The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 6, 2018, 05:08 PM   #1
unclejack37

What's Your Preference?

I have a red dot on my Mark III and my AR-15, and I had a laser pointer on my Nano but removed it, and all my other guns are Scopes or iron sites. I like the red dot for quick and easy target acquisition, and the laser was nice except for bright sunny days. but the iron sites are always there when you need them. If I could afford it I would put a red dot on all my hand guns to include my EDC but keep the scopes or iron sites on my long guns. How do the rest of you feel about the sites on your guns?
Old September 7, 2018, 09:55 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I have scopes on most of my hunting rifles, and some of my hunting handguns. Those that aren't dedicated varmint guns have iron sights as well. Some have only the iron sights. I have a red dot on one hunting pistol (and no irons) and on a 9mm carbine which also has open sights.

NONE of my handguns that are expected to be possible defensive weapons has a scope or red dot. This includes all my revolvers and semi auto pistols.

Not having grown up in the modern era of electronics, I have an innate distrust for anything on a weapon that requires a battery to operate. So, no red dot on a "combat" gun, for me.
Old September 7, 2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Ben Dover

Scopes on my rifles, iron on my handguns.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 7, 2018, 10:13 AM   #4
TailGator

The only handgun with a red dot that I own is a .22LR plinker. My thoughts are a lot like 44 AMP - the iron sights are the one thing that I know I can count on to be there and be accurate. For defensive handguns, used at reasonable ranges, iron sights are adequate and reliable in every way, IMO.
Old September 9, 2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Not having grown up in the modern era of electronics, I have an innate distrust for anything on a weapon that requires a battery to operate. So, no red dot on a "combat" gun, for me.
Same here. I prefer iron sights on everything that isn't a hunting rifle. Even then, I'd rather be a good enough hunter to just be able to use irons at about 100 yards or less.

--Wag--
Old September 9, 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Scopes on some of my rifles, iron on my handguns. Firearms are tools(at least the ones that aren't just my big kid toys.)and every one of 'em has a different purpose. Just like any tool.
"...the red dot..." Is usually too big for accurate shot placement. Lasers make you the target. Well, can make you the target.
Old September 9, 2018, 05:27 PM   #7
jmr40

I tried dots, don't like em. I found a low powered 1-4X scope on my AR's set on 1X to be much faster for close shots than irons or dots. And while it is easy to see the dot in poor light, the optics on most of them are so poor you can't see the target. A heavy duplex reticle combined with 1X magnification works better all around than any dot sight. If you must have a light, then a lighted reticle on a 1X scope. And if you need more precision going up to 4X makes hits at 300-400 yards very much possible.

My bolt guns have quality 2-7X or 3-9X scopes on them. I have no use for irons on a rifle and I've found that as long as you steer clear of cheap optics they are never needed. I've had more iron sights fail on me than quality scopes.

I used to really like nite sites on my handguns, but now much prefer an attached light. Have one on my AR's in addition to the 1-4X scope as well.

Winston Churchill
Old September 9, 2018, 07:18 PM   #8
M88

Because my eyes have deteriorated a bit (I'm only 65 but they have already) I have scopes on all my rifles except the WW1 and 2 stuff, and a few that I keep just the iron because it would "ruin" the rifle if I did. My Winchester 1892 lever for example. The majority of my handguns are as is, but a few I do have and prefer the dot to the laser. I wear bifocals and the red dot seems easier and quicker to acquire than the laser. I also like that they usually take a little less space and weigh less.
Old September 9, 2018, 08:41 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Scopes and irons on rifles - depending upon what they're for.
Irons on handguns.

The only remaining red dot in my safes is mounted on an AR that's intended for short-range work, or snap shots on big game.

Scopes for precision.
Dots for speed.
Irons for various degrees of precision - and speed where the design favors such.

I like the simplicity of iron sights, but don't like certain designs that tend to be fragile.
As such, I designed a rear sight for my Marlin rifles, that I call the "Bulletproof Buckhorn". It's a solid piece of 4140 steel, milled to shape, and held in place by four 6-48 screws. Windage adjustment is coarse (loosen the sight, move it sideways, tighten back down). Elevation adjustment is done with a file. I pair it with fixed front sights held in place by screws (no dovetails for things to slide in).
Once set, nothing is going to change, short of the entire rifle getting folded in half.
Only half a dozen or so shooters have tested it, besides myself, but everyone that has used it loves it.

Fresh off the mill, before hand finishing (primarily 'de-horning' and chamfering):

Yes, that's a kaboomed receiver. I didn't do it. But I got the sloppy seconds for a good price, and use it as a holding fixture and a reference sample when prototyping parts or making something for a project.
Old September 11, 2018, 04:50 AM   #10
Husqvarna

If I had to chose Id pick only reddots

Dont like em on handguns thou I become too sloppy with em
Old September 11, 2018, 05:01 AM   #11
ms6852

They all have there uses and limitations. I prefer iron sights, but now am using more scopes due to vision. I do have a red dot on one AR15 for home defense and a laser on one handgun that was very useful during a time that I was bed ridden for six months. The laser made it easier to shoot from the lying position. You still have to sight them in.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:49 AM   #12
5whiskey

Quote:
"...the red dot..." Is usually too big for accurate shot placement.
I agree. I have a Trijicon reflex sight with a dot that I have pretty much given to my daughter to use on her rifle. I liked it once upon a time, but the dot is 4.5moa. Guess what your expected group size will be? I like groups smaller than 4.5" at 100yards. I can still get 1.5 to 2moa groups with good iron sights on a rifle, despite my eyes starting to get fuzzy. That's a good deal better than you will get with a red dot. Definitely no "dots" for hunting. I get the defensive use, but iron sights served Marines and Soldiers well for many years. You don't need a dot sight for CQB, just learn to put that front sight post on the target at 50 yards in and you will hit it.

Quote:
Because my eyes have deteriorated a bit (I'm only 65 but they have already) I have scopes on all my rifles except the WW1 and 2 stuff, and a few that I keep just the iron because it would "ruin" the rifle if I did.
Shoot I'm only 38 and my eyes have deteriorated some. I can still shoot fairly well without glasses, but those longer shots with iron sights require a lot more concentration now. It's much harder to focus on the FSP and still recognize the blur of the target behind it. And I can't shoot with eye pro anymore. Eyes won't let me focus on the FSP for some reason when I wear shooting glasses. A few short years ago I did not have these issues.

OP, I have no dots, scopes, or lasers on any of my handguns. I'm not against it per se, especially for hunting, but I would not put a red dot on any defensive handgun. It adds unnecessary bulk IMO, and you can train to be just as good and just as fast with irons. It may not be quite as user friendly, but you can be just as good with them.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 11, 2018, 09:50 AM   #13
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44amp
Not having grown up in the modern era of electronics, I have an innate distrust for anything on a weapon that requires a battery to operate.
Growing up with electronics is the basis of my distrust.

My preferred solution is a low magnification optic. Yes, glass can break, but being able is see both a reticle and a target clearly and at the same time is neat. I do wish there were more inexpensive scopes in the 1x to 2x range.

Some of the 1x prismatics actually render an image less than 1x once the diopter is adjusted; not a fan of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey
I liked it once upon a time, but the dot is 4.5moa. Guess what your expected group size will be? I like groups smaller than 4.5" at 100yards.
I am not a fan of red dots, but I've used red dots that are quite large that provide good groups. I had a RD with a 24 moa dot; all it needed was a big black round target to put into the middle of it. Even a 4moa RD can be accurate if used like a steel sight - just using the top of the dot like the top of the front blade.

My vision prevents a RD, even a good one, from looking round unless I have my full value distance prescription on. The best use I've found for a red dot is shooting a pistol without my reading glasses on.

My issue with red dots is that a good one is more expensive than a cheap set of iron sights, and I find the iron sights more accurate so long as I have the right glasses with me.
Old September 11, 2018, 01:13 PM   #14
pete2

I have scopes on my hunting rifles and some of my .22s. Red dot on 1 10/22. Peep on a 10/22. Red dots on my bullseye pistols. One AR with a scope, an AR with a prism scope that has a dot, black without power, turn it on and you have the option of red or green dot.
Most hand guns with open sights. Carry guns all have open sights. I don't trust electronic sights on a self defense gun, what can go wrong will.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:28 PM   #15
745SW

I have a leupold scope on my Sako Forester 85 Deluxe 308Win bolt action rilfle. This rifle appears to have been intended for scope use only, no pre-drilled holes for a front sight and the receiver has the integrated dovetail mounts. All other arms are stock iron sights although that might change with the AR15 type rifle by mounting a low power optic on the A2 upper.

My guess is the use of the various aftermarket sights is influenced partly by when an individual got into and/or most active in the sport. I noticed the enhanced optics became popular sometime around the year 2000 and beyond. From a resellers point of view, it's the only profitable item on a firearm. I've seen many a seller go belly up over the years by selling mostly just firearms.

Electronic gadgets work better in many uses but they add issues of their own and these issues may not be acceptable for a given use. Example are precision measurements like dial calibers and micrometers, electronic type have the ease of reading and measurement unit inches/millimeters conversion. I've experienced failure because of battery corrosion of the terminals. Removing and installing the battery for each use is rather cumbersome. Mechanical works well even in commercial use, maintenance is required but at least failure generally is gradual and does not make the tool totally useless.