The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2018, 06:44 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

shipping of wood stock blanks

What's the least expensive way to ship a stock blank?

UPS or USPS?
Old December 11, 2018, 08:29 AM   #2
FITASC

Both sites have ways to calculate the shipping if you know your box dimensions and weight.
This being the Christmas rush, you might want to wait - if possible - a few weeks until the insanity dies down.
A lot will depend on how you ship it via USPS as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 11, 2018, 02:51 PM   #3
arcticap

I tend to use Fedex Ground.
It was cheaper than parcel post recently sending a muzzle loader from coast to coast.
I don't bother with UPS too much anymore unless I really need to.
Once sent an item that was damaged by Fedex, and they were very fair about paying the claim.
Plus they reimbursed the shipping charges.
I sent the whole check to the buyer and he was happy.
I highly doubt that I would ever have gotten that treatment from UPS.

Ironically it involved a wood target grip that got cracked on an expensive cased air pistol.

Last edited by arcticap; December 11, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Pahoo

Right now, I'm gessing USPS

Quote:
UPS or USPS?

Lately, I have been getting a allot of material by USPS and many choose to use the flat rate box. I really do not know how big they come but did get a 28" barrel, half stock in one. If I were shipping something out, I'd first check the USPS. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 11, 2018, 10:04 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Well, I couldn't get an address other than PO Box so it went via USPS. It took about an hour to cut up cardboard to fit the stock blank. 72" long.

I figured that if I went to UPS, the gas would make it the same price as USPS.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:41 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

45 - I have sold some on fleabay in years past and I just sent them by U'sPS.
seemed like running to the UPS pick up in our small town to get price, etc. saved very little and took my time that I could have used for better things.

Your question did bring a smile to my face. Many many years ago - like very early 1960s, Dixie Gun Works sole a straight grain hard able full stock bland for $6.00 ea. One time they evidently had an overstock on them as they put them on sale for 3 full stock blanks for $5.00. I ordered three while they were on such a "big sale". I remember well when they came in tour local PO. 2 of the blankets (cough cut) were banded together with steel bands and the third one wass by itself. The mailing labels were stapled on to the butt portion. I got some really strange looks from the clerk when I picked them up! I still have one left that I'm going to use for a chunk gun build. I laugh now at the price of them. A good deal at $2 each - now that would just about buy a cup of coffee! LOL
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 12, 2018, 11:17 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

bedbugbilly - the first thing the Post Office lady said, "You can't mail that; unless you have a license." Mine was covered in cardboard - all 6 feet of it. "Why? It's just wood." Another customer who knew something told her, "It's a stock blank." She accepted it and besides, we both know that the USPS x-rays everything anyway and they'll see it's just wood.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:54 PM   #8
Rachen

Quote:
bedbugbilly - the first thing the Post Office lady said, "You can't mail that; unless you have a license." Mine was covered in cardboard - all 6 feet of it. "Why? It's just wood." Another customer who knew something told her, "It's a stock blank." She accepted it and besides, we both know that the USPS x-rays everything anyway and they'll see it's just wood.
Since when did USPS started X-raying packages? I have shipped and received plenty of black powder firearms and gun parts in the past and no one has ever batted an eye. When I shipped a couple of Piettas to someone before I did it at a USPS service center, not the actual post office, and had the items insured as machinery and tool parts.

Is the procedure different now? The last thing I want is seeing some less-informed person throwing a hissy fit from seeing a gun in a box when it is a perfectly legal black powder firearm.
Old December 16, 2018, 12:14 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

The USPS has been xraying packages for years now. They also photograph every piece of mail. Makes the FBI happy.
Old December 16, 2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Rachen

Quote:
The USPS has been xraying packages for years now. They also photograph every piece of mail. Makes the FBI happy
I see. Thanks for the info. Does this affect the transportation of black powder firearms though? Can they tell the difference by the picture they are seeing or are there different procedures altogether in the recent years?
Old December 22, 2018, 01:10 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

No. I doubt if Post Office employees can tell the difference. It may even be viewed by a human (I'll have to ask) but xrayed to make the Fan Belt Inspectors happy. Let me ask around.