The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 9, 2020, 03:43 PM   #1
cw308

Range day

Finding the right size target for accuracy , when shooting at my outdoor range at 200 yard distance ,I was trying different targets ,sizes and shapes . What worked for me at 200 yards with my scope set at 24 shooting at a one inch square , outline 1/4" black , gave me a 1/2" white center , 308 bolt action . Shooting indoors at 25 yards with my AR 15 223 using the small aperture peep , I found the 1.5" all black square just perfect . Remember I have old eyes . The square sits perfect on my front sight , I tried larger but I felt I was getting sloppy. I guess the saying is true , aim small miss small. Small targets matter. PS: How much attention do you give in removing carbon from the inside of the bolt carrier where the base of the bolt sits , I have a tool that removes the carbon but not all . What do you do .

Last edited by cw308; July 9, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old July 9, 2020, 04:46 PM   #2
brasscollector

I will soak a 30 cal patch with tactical advantage and stuff it in the bolt carrier and use the tool to mash it into the cavity and rotate. Then I pluck it back out with a brass pick. If I'm cleaning it knowing it's getting stored for a while I will then run it through the ultrasonic cleaner.
Old July 9, 2020, 05:18 PM   #3
cw308

brasscollector
Thanks for answering , I'm going to pay more attention of these areas where carbon has a tendency to build up , I have the tool that fits in the carrier but I also ordered the CAT M4 to remove the carbon from the back of the bolt . Those two areas are the only areas I can think of that are problem spots. Thanks again .

Chris
Old July 10, 2020, 01:45 AM   #4
Metal god

I clean that area with Hoppe's #9 which is my general go to cleaning product . I clean that area as if it were a bore . Get it soaked , let sit then clean with a brass brush , forget the size maybe 40cal but not sure . then wipe out with patch or rag .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 10, 2020, 06:34 AM   #5
cw308

Metal
I used KG-1 it's a very good carbon cleaner but wasn't sure if I could use a brush in that area . Will pay attention to that area on every cleaning . Thanks again.

Chris
Old July 10, 2020, 08:51 PM   #6
10-96

CW308- +1 on keeping the inside of the bolt carrier clean. A friend of mine developed the idea that it wasn't all that important since it always went bang when he pulled the trigger. Worked ok for him right up until he went to a high humidity place (Camp Perry, OH from the TX Panhandle). The humidity gummed him up something awful.

That area isn't much fun to clean, but to save yourself a bit of headache and clean it every chance you get.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 10, 2020, 09:28 PM   #7
cw308

10-96
Just getting back in shooting the AR , been a benchrest bolt guy for many years.. Even when serving in VN 67-68 the 16 was my primary weapon , never cleaned it as through , when it really was most important . Cleaned the barrel wiped the bolt and carrier down and off we went. Door gunners would dip their 60's in a drum of JP4. Now I'm older and appreciate what a finally tuned weapon it is and want to keep it that way. Just can't find ammo with all this craziness going on. I fire it every week and I'm running low . Brings back memories good and bad . Be Well.

Chris
Old July 10, 2020, 09:44 PM   #8
10-96

CW308
Yeah, you guys got hosed with the first batch of those- bad info on cleaning, ball powder, non-chromed chambers, limited cleaning accessories. Thank you for your service Sir! I resisted getting into the AR thing myself for quite a few years. Kinda glad I did though as I was able to apply some of my own knowledge and opinions on keeping them running in Iraq where drier is better in that gawd-awful poofy dirt.
Now that people are finally saying it- I hope you never get tired of hearing it... WELCOME HOME!

Old July 10, 2020, 10:31 PM   #9
cw308

10-96
It was an honor to have served my country with the greatest group of guys , 9th ID . And to You , Thank You for your service , you volunteered , I was drafted . My Son served 3 tours , 1 in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan . Seems every generation has their turn in the barrel. Glad your back. Our 16's back then were not like the ones now , no forward assist , and I shoot left handed , cases sometimes landing in the collar of my flack jacket , a flash suppressor that collected leaves and branches . It was lighter though. We also had some 14's with selector switch , a nice weapon . I now have a Colt AR15 A2 HBar 223/5.56 1/7 twist , has some weight to it but it's a shooter. 10 Be Well , stay safe and Glad Your Home .

Chris
Old July 11, 2020, 07:51 PM   #10
10-96

I've always wondered how anybody thought that 3-prong flash hider was a good idea. We had the M-16A1's with the brass deflectors and birdcage flash hiders the first 2 years I was in, then we were issued the A2's. We really thought we were pooping in high cotton with those, but then I figured the 300m qualification was just as easy with one as the other.