The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 9, 2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Is this holster unsafe? (Hidden Hybrid Holsters)

Hello all,

for the last months I have been carrying AIWB with a holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters that is very comfortable. However I had concerns about its safety since the trigger bar is a bit exposed (although only on the side that is pressed against my body), as the picture shows:

I sent an email expressing my concerns to Hybrid Hidden Holsters and this was their reply:

<< We went through several designs before settling for this one. With an UNLOADED firearm we tried multiple angles. With this one I was able to push my undershirt, T shirt and hoodie all the way through the trigger guard then holster the pistol without activating the trigger. A higher leather may have made the material stop higher and activate the trigger. I used a lot of material in the trigger guard and could not make my Glock 17 trigger depress. So I am very comfortable that a little material could not activate it either. Unfortunately we do not have anything to retrofit you.>>
-----------------------------------------------------------

My email:
<< Hello, I am a happy owner of one of your holsters, I carry it everyday for AIWB and it is comfortable and it conceals great.
However, there is a small issue with the holster that I think could be easily solved. The issue is that although the kydex portion of the holster fully covers the trigger guard of the Glock, the leather side of the holster seems to be a bit short and leaves part of the trigger exposed. This has me a bit concerned for safety, because obviously, having the trigger guard and trigger accessible by a loose piece of clothing or string while holstered is never a good thing. (pics attached)
I think this would be very easily fixed by just making the leather back a bit bigger. Is this something you retrofit for me if I sent you the holster? >>
--------------------------------------------------------

Do you fellow CCW carriers think, by looking at the pictures above, that this holster is safe to wear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (140.9 KB, 1230 views)
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (149.5 KB, 1220 views)

Last edited by Pistoler0; January 9, 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old January 9, 2020, 03:18 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Leaves something to be desired from my perspective. There's not just the question of something getting in the trigger guard and activating the trigger, but something getting behind it and stopping the trigger from being pressed when you need to. I had Alien Gear holsters with the same fitment "issue". I switched to a different design. His point of doing it that way to prevent inadvertent material from entering the holster and activating the trigger as the pistol is fully seated isn't completely without merit in my view, but I think you open up the door to other problems

The reality is you may well be fine. But if it leaves you leery, there are a lot of holster options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 9, 2020, 03:32 PM   #3
kenny53

It doesn't look like the best holster I have ever seen. I think the odds of something bad happening because of the holster are one in several million. I would get something different.
Old January 9, 2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

I generally don't like hybrid holsters of any kind.

The person is unsafe, yes, but the holster can also be.
Old January 12, 2020, 12:28 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I think if you have any concerns at all, then you need to carry a different gun/holster combination.

Worry or apprehension could actually cause a problem that otherwise wouldn't exist.
Old January 12, 2020, 01:37 AM   #6
TXAZ

^^^^^^^^^ What 44AMP said.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 12, 2020, 12:34 PM   #7
Nanuk

Only if you are. Looks like a nice holster. How do you like carrying it?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:28 PM   #8
Nathan

I would like a joggle covering the trigger a bit more, but I wouldn’t worry about what you have. It is cut out there to get a full firing grip with big hands.

I am much more concerned that the top is blocking getting the web of my hand up high enough.
Old January 12, 2020, 03:32 PM   #9
stephen426

The important part of the trigger (the actual face of the trigger) is covered and would prevent anything from depressing the trigger once the gun is in the holster. If something is snagged when holstering, I am not sure that a fully covered trigger would do much to prevent the trigger from being depressed, save a manual safety.

I know that anything can happen, but we are normally only required to be fast OUT of the holster rather than fast INTO the holster.
Old January 13, 2020, 12:59 PM   #10
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
Only if you are. Looks like a nice holster. How do you like carrying it?
As far as comfort and accessibility it is superb, I got different holsters and this one is my favorite to carry (I carry appendix). I have it on right now as I am typing this.

May I add that retention is also very good.

If one is to research reviews and recommendations regarding holsters, again and again one will find that one of the main requirements that is put forth as a must for holster safety is that the trigger guard and trigger must be COMPLETELY covered. This is the point of view of many professionals and firearms experts that know much more about the topic than I do.

I think that an extra square inch of leather would have gone a long way to make these otherwise super comfortable and versatile holsters safe from any doubts/criticism. But I really like it and I guess the purpose of this post is to make sure that I am not carrying something that a majority of fellow CCW holders with more experience than me would consider to be reckless.

Last edited by Pistoler0; January 13, 2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 13, 2020, 03:58 PM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
. save a manual safety.
Good idea there.
Old January 13, 2020, 10:41 PM   #12
Koda94

I wouldn't use any holster that didn't fully cover the trigger area. I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of otherwise high quality holsters and designs from of all people should be well trained and experienced carriers of guns, the people who make holsters.
Old January 14, 2020, 05:52 AM   #13
5whiskey

Nathan hit it in post 8. It is designed that way to allow for big hands to more easily grasp the firearm during the draw. I have made quite a few leather holsters and my first couple of efforts completely covered the entire trigger guard. I found that drawing was encumbered, and figured out why. I now do not worry about complete coverage of the entire trigger guard area so long as the trigger is adequately protected. This holster appears pretty safe to me but I personally do not like leaving quite that much of the trigger guard area exposed. If for no other reason than appearance.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old January 14, 2020, 07:48 AM   #14
Nanuk

Quote:
If one is to research reviews and recommendations regarding holsters, again and again one will find that one of the main requirements that is put forth as a must for holster safety is that the trigger guard and trigger must be COMPLETELY covered. This is the point of view of many professionals and firearms experts that know much more about the topic than I do.
I have been carrying a pistol professionally for 40 years, on and off duty. That is one of the safest holsters I have ever seen. There is no reasonable way anything can get to the face of that trigger to depress it once it is safely holstered. If something interferes with the trigger during holstering all bets are off. With AIWB I always recommend that when holstering the holster be removed, the gun holstered and the the holster returned AIWB. Too many people today are in a rush to holster, take your time holstering.

The duty holsters we used with revolvers rarely covered ANY of the trigger guard.

If it really bothers you I will pay shipping, send it to me for disposal.
Old January 14, 2020, 08:10 AM   #15
USNRet93

Quote:
With AIWB I always recommend that when holstering the holster be removed, the gun holstered and the the holster returned AIWB. Too many people today are in a rush to holster, take your time holstering.
Agree 100%..what I do everytime. I don't get this need for 'speed' to reholster, particularly considering so many ND happen when you do that..reholster fast..IWB type holsters..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 14, 2020, 08:22 AM   #16
TunnelRat

I reholster on my body. Rushing to reholster is absolutely a problem. If you're reholstering it's because the threat has abated. That said, I still prefer a bit more of the trigger guard covered. As some have mentioned, with hybrid holsters cutting out more material makes it easier to get a hand in there. I prefer pure kydex holsters that are cut to the outline of the pistol. In those designs it's generally easier to cover the trigger guard without interfering with grip.

You can always try carrying the pistol around the house without a round chambered and see what you think after a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post

The duty holsters we used with revolvers rarely covered ANY of the trigger guard.

If it really bothers you I will pay shipping, send it to me for disposal.
No, I am happy with the holster and it does not bother me. That's why I posted this piece, I wanted to gauge more experienced CCW carrier's opinions as to whether or not it "should" worry me.

But regarding your other point, a revolver with a 12 lbs DA trigger and a striker fired weapon are totally different beasts when it comes to accidental discharge during holstering.
Old January 15, 2020, 09:52 AM   #18
adamBomb

I personally prefer to have the trigger guard covered. Is what you have fine? Probably is completely fine, the main part is covered. But I am paranoid and it would bother me that is wasn't fully covered.
Old January 15, 2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Nanuk

Quote:
But regarding your other point, a revolver with a 12 lbs DA trigger and a striker fired weapon are totally different beasts when it comes to accidental discharge during holstering.
My revolvers have nowhere near 12lb triggers. Closer to a smooth 8.
Old January 15, 2020, 10:25 PM   #20
zoo

Quote:
I've never had a revolver with anything near a twelve pound trigger pull. And I've shot a LOT of different revolvers.

Closest I've ever come to that kind of pull was the pull on a High Standard .22 mag Derringer. Even at that I recall stories of people shooting themselves in their keisters or leg playing quick draw Mcgraw with those derringers.

Believe me, regardless what you carry you don't want anything yanking on the trigger other than you in the act of shooting it.
Old January 16, 2020, 01:48 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

Trigger itself is covered so it's fine. Sure isn't pretty though.
With commercial products you need to think in terms of liability. Manufacturers are terrified of stupid laws suits. And rightly so. It costs a big pile of money to defend against a frivolous law suit, even when you win. So the chances of any such product not being safe are slim.
Oh and a revolver with a 12 lbs DA trigger isn't safe. It's junk. Just like a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. So is a revolver with an excessively heavy DA trigger. Pulling one sends the muzzle in who knows what direction.