The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2017, 12:50 PM   #1
bungiex88

Cleaning jag broke

Received my brand new traditions trapper flintlock pistol. Started to clean the barrel before storing it and ran a couple patches down through to clean it. It’s a plastic cleaning jag on the 4th cleaning patch and it got stuck so I pulled a little harder and the threads pulled out of the cleaning jag is stuck at the back of the barrel. So I figured it would be easy with the air compressor to just blow air through the flash hole but it won’t budge. I’m going to try to move it around with a screw driver but if that doesn’t work I’ve heard of people dumping 4f into barrel through the flash hole and shooting it has anyone done this before and if so about how much is a safe amount. I imagine only a little will do it.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:03 PM   #2
TXAZ

If you want to be considered for a Darwin Award, make sure you GoPro it.

But seriously, try higher pressure compressor first.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 14, 2017, 01:27 PM   #3
bungiex88

You’ve never seen people sprinkle a tiny bit of 4f down into the flash hole to get stuff unstuck. I didn’t say put 100gr of 4f powder into flash hole. Had 120psi with a sealed rubber tipped air gun. I’m thinking about just taking a long lighter and lighting it by the jag to see if I can burn the patch away because the jag is a lot smaller then the barrel

Last edited by Evan Thomas; December 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: juvenile name-calling.
Old December 14, 2017, 02:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...imagine only a little will do it..." Yep. Doesn't take much to destroy the gun and probably your hand by shooting out an obstruction. Air isn't going to work. The jag doesn't seal the barrel enough
Take the barrel off put it in a padded vise and bash the thing out with a brass rod and a plastic mallet. Assuming that's possible. Otherwise, you need something with a wee hook on it. Like a coat hanger.
Old December 14, 2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Pahoo

The right tool for the right job

Well, by now you have had enough time to figure out what you could have done better as most of us, working with these SideLocks have found out. I still make mistakes and seem to be getting better at resolving them as time goes on. I have lost count on the junk that I have had to cleared out of a bore. ..

It's obvious to you that you did not use the right tool for this job. If you can get air through the vent, then why not pour a little paint thinner down the bore and let it soak into the patch. Then light it until you burn the patch and melt the plastic jag. Now you have a big glob at the bottom of the bore that you can remove with a worm jag or screw jag. But first you will have to buy at set of these as well. ......

I once had to remove a ball-point pen, one piece as a time. Now that one was a bit of fun. ....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Evan Thomas; December 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: removed response to edited material.
Old December 14, 2017, 02:55 PM   #6
noelf2

If the jag/patch is all the way in there, you might try a trickle of 4f. Problem with that is if it doesn't work, you have some fouling in there that you can't get to right away.
Old December 14, 2017, 03:03 PM   #7
Hawg

Just trickle some powder in it and shoot the thing out. Do NOT use a screwdriver to try to dig it out. Straight compressed air wont work it has to be a blast of air like the co2 dischargers do....And get a brass jag or bore mops. I don't use patches anymore, just mops.
Old December 14, 2017, 03:06 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

All comes to worse, you can pull the plug. Let's try more air pressure first.
Old December 14, 2017, 03:26 PM   #9
mehavey

^^^^ what HAWG said ^^^^
Old December 14, 2017, 04:42 PM   #10
Model12Win

Whenever you get it out, invest in a good solid brass cleaning/loading rod. You can also use a stainless steel rod with a plastic or brass muzzle protector. Also never use a plastic jag... use brass for that.
Old December 14, 2017, 05:30 PM   #11
44 Dave

Take the barrel off put in your wife's oven on self clean and take the batteries out of the smoke detectors.
Old December 14, 2017, 05:41 PM   #12
wild willy

Years ago TC ramrods tips weren't pinned on I know of at least a half of dozen that came off in the barrel.Every one was shot out with out any trouble.Just make sure the stuck jag is down on the powder the air compresser might have moved it some.I relly don't know if the cleaning jag being off the powder would hurt but better safe than sorry

Last edited by wild willy; December 14, 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Smoke & Recoil

I don't want to be in the category of TXAZ but it maybe that the rubber tip of your
air nozzle closed off while pushing it to the touch hole.

Be nice to me, it was only a suggestion.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:54 PM   #14
44caliberkid

I've shot out an obstruction in a cap lock action. No big deal. Taking the breach plug out is easier said than done. I've never gotten one to budge, in four different barrels.
Old December 15, 2017, 09:57 AM   #15
shortwave

Lots of good suggestions.
Make sure that whichever method you try that you first take some WD40(or something similar) and spray down the bbl soaking the stuck patch and inside of bbl. The more oil the stuck patch will absorb, the easier it's going to be for the jag/patch to start moving.
Once I got the patch good and oil soaked, I'd start again with several blasts of compressed air or a co2 discharger. If that didn't work I'd graduate to the next more evasive step

Last edited by shortwave; December 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old December 15, 2017, 02:38 PM   #16
bungiex88

Went and got a full 50 caliber kit figured I’d just use the ball extractor since I thought it would be easier to extract plastic got it started into the jag went to pull and pulled the threads out of extractor so now I have a jag and a metal extractor stuck in barrel
Old December 15, 2017, 02:40 PM   #17
Hawg

Shoot it out. Next time buy quality items.
Old December 15, 2017, 03:14 PM   #18
bungiex88

I thought I did that 50 kit is all metal accessories.
Old December 15, 2017, 03:34 PM   #19
bungiex88

Update got it out. Started heating the barrel with propane torch then the extractor fell out here I didn’t strip threads the bushing twisted up and I couldn’t re thread the rod back into it. Put the extractor on right this time and was able to screw it into the half melted jag and pulled it out
Old December 15, 2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Pahoo

Fantastic !!!

Quote:
was able to screw it into the half melted jag and pulled it out
You did good and we thank you for your experience and "we" have all learned from it. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 15, 2017, 07:39 PM   #21
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There is a little gadget auto mechanic's use these days on rusted grease Zerk like fittings which are non-replaceable. Its a needle looking greasing device outfitted with a small brass coupler. And is possible to mount such tool on a Pews manual/pumping automotive grease gun.

Another alternative>When T/C marketed their CO-2 ball discharger. T/C supplied at a additional cost. A needle like tube very similar to the Pews greasing needle. Which mated to their CO-2 Discharger and any usual size vent liner. Seen a few over the years being auctioned on EBay. That's where I purchased mine and have not had a need to use ~~yet.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.cCdtPq52Twc UPPER LEFT CORNER OF PIX.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:54 AM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you for the update and congratulations on clearing it. Be sure to use something to clean out the plastic. I've cleaned an inline that had sheets of plastic that melted in the bore.
Old December 16, 2017, 11:15 AM   #23
Pahoo

Sheets, you say ???

Quote:
I've cleaned an inline that had sheets of plastic that melted in the bore.
And we all know where that came from; Don't buy cheap Sabots. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2017, 01:41 PM   #24
eastbank

I used a patch to big on a jag and it stuck right on the powder chamber of my flintlock, I took the touch hole out and put 5 grains ffff in and put the touch hole back in and shot it out. I held it one handed around the corner of the garage, I never did find the damn thing. eastbank.
Old December 17, 2017, 08:46 PM   #25
James K
Member In Memoriam

Shooting out an obstruction is perfectly feasible (and safe) as long as only a small charge is used and the gun/barrel is pointed in a safe direction. But that is more feasible with caplocks where a drum/bolster or cleanout screw
is present which can be removed. With most flintlocks, the touchhole is drilled directly into the barrel and there is no practical way to insert enough powder do do the job. With a flintllock, it will usually be necessary (if easier methods fail) to remove the breechplug and drive out the obstruction.

While I cannot claim that there is no possibility of damaging the barrel, it is very unlikely that any pressure generated by a small powder charge would be enough to "blow up" the gun, or that an obstruction will be so tightly stuck as to raise pressures beyond what would be normal for a patched ball.

In my time as a gunsmith, I have shot out various sorts of obstructions, from both muzzle loaders and conventional firearms with no damage to either the gun or myself. It is far more likely that a barrel will be damaged by attempts to use a drill, a steel rod, or some such measure than by shooting out an obstruction, as long as the latter is done in a safe manner..

Jim